Top Ten Budget amplifiers of all time!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Am I the only one wondering why the NAD 320 is on the list, I mean its OK but top ten of all time...........

No, not the only one. Maybe make room for a Rega Brio-R or a Mission Cyrus 2.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
The original Naim Nait should be there.....the Great Great Grandfather of them all.

The original Nait was only the 'Great Great Grandfather' of subsequent Naim Nait versions.

As far as good, British, 'budget' (or even mid-priced) integrated amps went, it was a 'Johnny-come-lately'. (The aforementioned Creek CAS4040 pre-dated the Nait by a year, the A&R Cambridge A60 pre-dated it by 7 years and the Sugden A21 pre-dated it by 15 years.)

Countless, good, budget-priced Japanese integrated amps pre-dated the Nait by decades.

The only sense in which the Nait was some kind of 'benchmark', was in being Naim's first integrated amp.

I posted a hurry...I certainly meant it only in the context of the Naim Nait family.

I remember all too well the chronological order of the British Integrated amp; I am after all, nearly as old as you are! :)

The Nait was often seen by HiFi Mags back then, as the king of the budget amp. I appreciated its strengths but preferred the A60 (and bought one, which I still have).

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure the following models would cost cheaper than £300, but these are my prefered budget amplifiers:

- Cyrus 2

- NAD 3020

- Naim Nait 1 and Nait 2

- Pioneer A400

- Musical Fidelity A1

- Creek CAS4040

Anyway, the above mentioned models were not that famous in other countries, like Japan. During 80 and 90's, the best budget amplifiers were

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
tonky wrote:

moon wrote:

So far we have the

Creek CAS 4040

Pioneer A400

NAD 3020

NAD 320

AND the A and R Cambridge A60

didnt you say the A30

I did - but such is the fame of the A60 you knew what I meant.

I was having a "senior moment" which doesn't bode well when I'm only 57!

The A60 was the amp which got me to appreciate good quality equipment. I remember taking it to a friend and swapped it into his system. The superiority of the sound was far greater than chalk and cheese! His wife was dumbfounded at the difference.

He had a more expensive system and all he could say was " I don't like it Tonky - there's far too much ambience!"

If you loved ambience - you loved the A30 - I mean A60!

SteveR750

Shanka said:
Another for the A&R A60 PP, I had SA506 my first amp, glad you liked its big brother, I loved the levers on those old amps, I hope there will be a top 10 of recievers, some great levers from Pioneer and esp. Technics, used to go round hifi shops give them a little tweak before pressing all the eject buttons on cassette decks, I know most over 40 here will have done the same, I hope !!! :oops:

Yes!

This is the reason why secretly I yearn for Yamaha to make an M2.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
ok revised listing

Audiolab 8000A

Creek CAS 4040

Pioneer A400

NAD 3020

Musical Fidelity A1

A & R A60 ......

Denon PMA250 SE

Sansui AU17

Naim Nait.

One space up for grabs...... NAD320 Gone

SteveR750

One of these then:

marantz_1040.jpg

SteveR750

With the Dentons, about £80 all in, but both ex display in Comet, Shrewsbury in September ish 1983. Well under the threshold, and sonically probably too, the 3130 ate it for lunch in one mouthful without belching

The Garrard added another £50 but it was brand new:

4620564114_7d966de36f.jpg

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Nad 310

I had one of these partnered with a pair of Mission 731i's. It was a great combination that handled everything i threw at it, even parties.

Its only rated at about 20w/ch, but sounded far bigger.

A

Anonymous

I wonder why the Nytech CA 252 wasn't mentioned even once :quest:

IMHO affordable competition for the Naim Nait... and all the other amps mentioned here.

nytech-ca-252.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AnalogEars said:
I wonder why the Nytech CA 252 wasn't mentioned even once :quest:

IMHO affordable competition for the Naim Nait... and all the other amps mentioned here.

nytech-ca-252.jpg

Good Grief! I haven't thought about that amp in years. Nice catch.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
busb said:
Sansui AU217

How are you getting on with your "not so budget" borrowed power amp?

It's been returned after a week's extensive listening. My opinion is that The new Primare is well worth the £2100 asking price!

The level of detail is stunning - translates into a huge soundstage where instruments or particular sounds could be easily picked out such as a guitarist lightly tapping on their guitar. Instument timbre added to the sound. I heard it up against a McIntosh 275 on its return - as good as the valve amp was (it has what I would call a "Big" sound with planty of bass into a pair of SF Cremonas - preamp was a Primare i32 feed with a AR CDP) had the Primare sounding less active in the lower octaves but more to my taste. I found the same at home against the Restek. However, the Primare's bass has a vice-like grip which keeps that end very tight - perfect for a suspended wooden floor with my neighbours livingroom below me! So the bass end lacks bloom - some may call the sound "dry". My Totem Arros were singing!

The midrange is very insightful & very clean! The Restek sounds distorted by comparison. The treble is also clean & avoids any hint of stridency or sibilance. Again the level of detail is amazing. the overall sound was noticeably free of artefacts. Importantly, the sound I was getting had my feet tapping & playing song after song or symphony after chamber piece. You do notice recording quality with some pop material sounding harsh at times or thin but it didn't have me wishing for less detail just better recordings.

I'm glad the Restek is still a very good amplifier & the sound from my M-DAC contributes massively to my system but the new Primare is something a little bit special & I do miss its grin factor!

I am very grateful to Karma AV for arranging this loan. I'm contracting at the moment with next week being idle so parting with £2k would be a little foolhardy until I'm earning again overwise I'd buy one in black like a shot when available.

As an aside, the Sansui AU217 was to be replaced with the original audiolab 8000A - I sold the latter after one week & returned to the 217. I eventually bought a Linx Quasar integrated (£500 ~25yrs ago) which beat everything else I heard into a cocked hat with a comfortable margin.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
In my house at the moment. In my chronological order of purchase

An original A and R Cambridge A30 with 2pin din speaker plugs and 5 pin din input connectors - sounding very euphonic but hums and is a bit crackly.

A Mission Cyrus 2 with shorted out output transistors (courtesy of my daughter)

A Pioneer A400 - still superb. (preowned 40£)

A Rega Brio 3 - working very nicely.(preowned 40£)

And my current fave - a Cambridge 840A v2 -oodles of clear spacious power!

Shall I open a hifi museum!

tonky

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
It's been returned after a week's extensive listening. My opinion is that The new Primare is well worth the £2100 asking price!

The level of detail is stunning - translates into a huge soundstage where instruments or particular sounds could be easily picked out such as a guitarist lightly tapping on their guitar. Instument timbre added to the sound. I heard it up against a McIntosh 275 on its return - as good as the valve amp was (it has what I would call a "Big" sound with planty of bass into a pair of SF Cremonas - preamp was a Primare i32 feed with a AR CDP) had the Primare sounding less active in the lower octaves but more to my taste. I found the same at home against the Restek. However, the Primare's bass has a vice-like grip which keeps that end very tight - perfect for a suspended wooden floor with my neighbours livingroom below me! So the bass end lacks bloom - some may call the sound "dry". My Totem Arros were singing!

The midrange is very insightful & very clean! The Restek sounds distorted by comparison. The treble is also clean & avoids any hint of stridency or sibilance. Again the level of detail is amazing. the overall sound was noticeably free of artefacts. Importantly, the sound I was getting had my feet tapping & playing song after song or symphony after chamber piece. You do notice recording quality with some pop material sounding harsh at times or thin but it didn't have me wishing for less detail just better recordings.

I'm glad the Restek is still a very good amplifier & the sound from my M-DAC contributes massively to my system but the new Primare is something a little bit special & I do miss its grin factor!

I am very grateful to Karma AV for arranging this loan. I'm contracting at the moment with next week being idle so parting with £2k would be a little foolhardy until I'm earning again overwise I'd buy one in black like a shot when available.

As an aside, the Sansui AU217 was to be replaced with the original audiolab 8000A - I sold the latter after one week & returned to the 217. I eventually bought a Linx Quasar integrated (£500 ~25yrs ago) which beat everything else I heard into a cocked hat with a comfortable margin.

Thank you for the interesting and informative reply.

IMO. You did exactly the right thing in comparing it to something very different (McIntosh + SF), to make sure of your decision.

What did you think of the Cremonas and did you hear them with the Primare?

Cheers

Cno

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
busb said:
It's been returned after a week's extensive listening. My opinion is that The new Primare is well worth the £2100 asking price!....

Thank you for the interesting and informative reply.

IMO. You did exactly the right thing in comparing it to something very different (McIntosh + SF), to make sure of your decision.

What did you think of the Cremonas and did you hear them with the Primare?

Cheers

Cno

I did indeed listen to the Cremonas through the Primare. They have the authority that my Arros only hint at. Hardly surprising considering their design & size. They sounded very good though the A Research CDP was 2nd hand, needed a good service & if balanced outputs were available, Chord ChameleonPlus ICs were used. I found a borrowed set of no-name XLRs sounded marginly better than my own Chord C+ did between my M-DAC & A34.2.

I invited a couple of friends round for a listen. The owner of the Restek thought the level of detail was stunning as was the sheer cleaness of the music. Another friend who rarely buys anying new commented on the clarity & what that brought to the sound - spine-tingling! Much to my surprise, he thought the Primare was worth the money.

I read up on class D amplification - I now have some idea how it works. I mused whether or not I wanted an amplifier that cut, sliced then filtered out the out-of-band chopping frequency until I remembered what an ADC then DAC did! Class D will catch on if only for its lower power consumption - Primare have proved to me that the technology works wonderfully when it comes to SQ. Being Primare, the build quality was up there & light at 12kg boxed - I had to carry it on the train from Oxford!

Another aspect of the A34.2's sound was that the delivery sounded so effortless - solo vocals, mass voices, orchestras, synths, guitars, triangles, woodwins, drums, you name them, all had an extra dimension. If you don't mind being startled from time to time, this amp delivers IMO - it's no slouch. I was able to listen to the Primare in Oxford Audio at higher volumes than I dare to back home. I could carry on a conversation with my GF at higher volumes than I'm used to (she likes it & wants me to buy one)!

I also thought it important to listen to another power amp at a price well above the Primare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts