Too warm maybe?

mark mays

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Recently I have been finding that my wharfedale diamond 220 are not giving me the excitement in the music I'm listening to. Don't get me wrong, great little speakers, detailed fair bass etc. Just remember that old set of mission speakers giving more fun. I have them paired with onkyo a9010 and marantz cd5005. Maybe all too warm together. Also been thinking about some floorstanders as my yongest has already sent one flying! Kids! Room is long and thin, and they're sat at one end firing down the room. Maybe they're just too small?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mission speakers have always been voiced for a fun and dynamic sound perhaps lacking some of the hifi niceties others, including Wharfedale, do better.

This holds true to this day as P.J.Comeau of IAG, the company of which both Wharfedale and Mission are part of has been quoted.

With other manufacturers this often means a 'smiley' response curve ie. raised upper bass and treble. Mission however, seem to achieve this without always overtly having to resource to this particular frequency response in their more successful models. - I remember HifiWorld testing the MX2 stand mounter resulting in one of the more accurate measured two way small speakers, even compared to ones that cost ten times as much.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Mission speakers have always been voiced for a fun and dynamic sound perhaps lacking some of the hifi niceties others, including Wharfedale, do better.

This holds true to this day as P.J.Comeau of IAG, the company of which both Wharfedale and Mission are part of has been quoted.

With other manufacturers this often means a 'smiley' response curve ie. raised upper bass and treble. Mission however, seem to achieve this without always overtly having to resource to this particular frequency response in their more successful models. - I remember HifiWorld testing the MX2 stand mounter resulting in one of the more accurate measured two way small speakers, even compared to ones that cost ten times as much.

'fun'......I dunno.

Being a fan of Missions circa late 90's early 00's (heard some 731's the other day which were bought late 90's) - I'd describe their sound as accurate, fast and detailed. Their midrange being the main emphasis in their design.

While their bass is not oceans deep they produce clean, tight, detailed and tuneful bass within the limits of their dimensions and driver size.

To the OP I'm not familiar with Wharfdales but if you crave more - try and get a listen to the new Mission LX range that's coming. Heard at the Bristol show they suggest the brand is back to form.

TRENDING THREADS