tonearm for Michell Orbe?

Afp208

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've just acquired a used Orbe and now need to find an approriate tonearm. I understand SME is a good match and I've been leaning towards a 309 or maybe a pre-loved IV (or V) if a good deal can be found. Any views on whether the 309 will do the deck justice? I don't want to do a series of upgrades.

Alternatively, any other options?

For the time being I'll use a Dynavector 10x5 Gold high output MC taken from my old Rega P25 deck until there is budget to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

alf

Afp208 said:
Hi,

I've just acquired a used Orbe and now need to find an approriate tonearm. I understand SME is a good match and I've been leaning towards a 309 or maybe a pre-loved IV (or V) if a good deal can be found. Any views on whether the 309 will do the deck justice? I don't want to do a series of upgrades.

Alternatively, any other options?

For the time being I'll use a Dynavector 10x5 Gold high output MC taken from my old Rega P25 deck until there is budget to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

alf

Personally, without spending a fortune, you will be hard pushed to beat a 309, but I am biased and use a 310. Unless you can find a IV or V for a good price and in good condition. Others I could suggest are much harder to find and often more expensive. To be honest the best 'bangs for your buck's would be a used IV if you can find a good one. Which cartridge are you considering upgrading to? Only ask because I have never found hi-output MC's to be a viable purchase.

Oh, welcome to the forum, you have a great deck there.

stevebrock said:
I can offer no meaningful input about the 309

however a IV or V would be great

There speaks a man that should know. :)

The IV offers 90% of the V at two thirds the price. You might find a used one for a similar price to a new 309.

If it is of interest Hifix are offering the IV new for £1700, there is also a used one on hifishark for 1600 euros.

The SME M2-9 is a very good cheaper option.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Origin Live Encounter is another option, there was a review in HIFi news a few years ago and he was singing the praises of The Encounter and an Ortofon Cadenza Red on the end of it. The TT was an Orbe.

Lost Angeles said:
Origin Live Encounter is another option, there was a review in HIFi news a few years ago and he was singing the praises of The Encounter and an Ortofon Cadenza Red on the end of it. The TT was an Orbe.

Good point, I've had a couple of OL arms including the Encounter and they are, quite frankly, brilliant. A second-hand Illustrious might be obtained for that sort of money if you are lucky.

Worth a look for the best second-hand one you can get.

Afp208

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your inputs guys. I guess I'm trying to work out whether the 309 will hit the spot or if I'll always be wishing I'd held out for a used IV. The decision may simply boil down to what's available but I'm looking for a reason to hold out for the 'better' arm. Can anyone describe the sound difference between the two arms?

Also, Al interested that you use a 10" version. I'm not sure if I can do that with the Orbe but why that choice? You asked about eventual cartridge. I'm not sure as I have limited experience with such things but perhaps the Dynavector XX2 or 17D3 as I quite like the sound from my current cartridge.

Is OriginLive a very different presentation to the SMEs?

cheers

alf

Afp208 said:
Thanks for your inputs guys. I guess I'm trying to work out whether the 309 will hit the spot or if I'll always be wishing I'd held out for a used IV. The decision may simply boil down to what's available but I'm looking for a reason to hold out for the 'better' arm. Can anyone describe the sound difference between the two arms?

Also, Al interested that you use a 10" version. I'm not sure if I can do that with the Orbe but why that choice? You asked about eventual cartridge. I'm not sure as I have limited experience with such things but perhaps the Dynavector XX2 or 17D3 as I quite like the sound from my current cartridge.

Is OriginLive a very different presentation to the SMEs?

cheers

alf

To try to answer your questions I have always understood the benefits of a twelve inch tonearm but there are few around at a reasonable price. When I was looking the 10 inch SME became available for a very good price so I purchased it from abroad.

Ultimately it will be t he cartridge that determines the sound rather than the arm.

These should simply be well engineered objects that let the cartridge do its job.

Matched wisely you have a pairing for life. The arm / cartridge combo is crucial and worth checking compatibility tables. I think the Orbe is limited to a 9 inch arm but that's no problem.

Me, I'd go for the 17 D3 if that's the sound your like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts