Tone arm movement cuts sound in 1 speaker

Hi there

I have a Project Essentials II turntable with a Rotel RA-10 amp with in-built phone stage. I have a constant issue with the sound cutting out of one of the speakers and being replaced with a static buzz when I move the turntable tone arm. I can get rid of the buzz by either switching the amp off and back on again (may take a couple of goes) or by removing the left connecting lead from the amp and putting back in again. But this is only a temporary fix until it happens again.

Any suggestions how I can remedy this?

Many thanks in advance

Kristian

Kristian Gunn said:
Hi there

I have a Project Essentials II turntable with a Rotel RA-10 amp with in-built phone stage. I have a constant issue with the sound cutting out of one of the speakers and being replaced with a static buzz when I move the turntable tone arm. I can get rid of the buzz by either switching the amp off and back on again (may take a couple of goes) or by removing the left connecting lead from the amp and putting back in again. But this is only a temporary fix until it happens again.

Any suggestions how I can remedy this?

Many thanks in advance

Kristian

Welcome to the forum.

A tricky one to answer if it is intermittent. Possibly a cartridge fault or more likely tonearm wiring problem.

Do you know anyone else who has a turntable you could borrow to try it instead of your own?

I presume you have no problems when playing a CD, always assuming you have a CD player.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Al Ears that it sounds like a tonearm wiring problem, but what's muddying what should be clear waters is when you say turning your amp on and off fixes the problem temporarily. I can't suss that. If you can't source another amp to try your turntable on, get a multimeter, or find someone with one, disconnect the cartridge leads and check for continuity and shorts between the cartridge-leads and the phono plugs as you move the arm across its arc. The red (right signal) and white (left signal) should have continuity with the red and white pins on the phono leads, but shouldn't short with the phono ground connection nor the the green or blue cartridge wires. You *may* find the green and blue are shorted together because they're both earth and sometimes they're joined to a common earth inside the turntable; that's fine.

Pretty sure that will give you an answer.

MajorFubar said:
I agree with Al Ears that it sounds like a tonearm wiring problem, but what's muddying what should be clear waters is when you say turning your amp on and off fixes the problem temporarily. I can't suss that. If you can't source another amp to try your turntable on, get a multimeter, or find someone with one, disconnect the cartridge leads and check for continuity and shorts between the cartridge-leads and the phono plugs as you move the arm across its arc. The red (right signal) and white (left signal) should have continuity with the red and white pins on the phono leads, but shouldn't short with the phono ground connection nor the the green or blue cartridge wires. You *may* find the green and blue are shorted together because they're both earth and sometimes they're joined to a common earth inside the turntable; that's fine.

Pretty sure that will give you an answer.

Agreed. If you're not competent with a multimeter then have a qualified electrician have a look at it for you.

It's that intermittent nature of the problem that confuses me to. It could even be a problem with the inbuilt phono stage but I doubt it. To check this you're going to need someone who has a separate phono preamp you can borrow or someone with an amp with known working inbuilt phono stage.

The fact that this appears to happen when you move the tonearm would appear to suggest some sort of cable stretch / breakdown problem though.

Did you buy the turntable from a dealer? If so can them to check it over.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Agreed. If you're not competent with a multimeter then have a qualified electrician have a look at it for you.

Wise advice but testing the the four cartridge wires for continuity through to the phono plugs is like a 1.5 on the 1-10 difficulty scale of life skills, so he should be ok. Does the Essentials II have a built-in phono stage? That could complicate the issue. If he can switch it out of circuit, checking for continuity and shorts should still be a valid test.

Al ears said:

You know what, I'd never even considered the possibility it could still be under warranty...if it is, just take it back and get them to test it.

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:

Wise advice but testing the the four cartridge wires for continuity through to the phono plugs is like a 1.5 on the 1-10 difficulty scale of life skills, so he should be ok. Does the Essentials II have a built-in phono stage? That could complicate the issue. If he can switch it out of circuit, checking for continuity and shorts should still be a valid test.

Al ears said:

You know what, I'd never even considered the possibility it could still be under warranty...if it is, just take it back and get them to test it.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who have never used a multimeter let alone owned one. ;-)

The turntable does not have an inbuilt phonograph stage.

It could indeed still be under warranty as they are still selling them.

brownz said:
"Essential II" has no phono stage."Essential II Phono USB" has a Phono Amp and USB for Line In Recording via a built in Codec."Essential II Digital" is a new horse on the block and features a Phono Amp and SP/DIF out.As others have mentioned, a multimeter should give you a hint where the problem may lay.If it's in warranty then you can return it to the shop you bought it from.If it's out of warranty then you can return it to us for diagnosis and repair (e.g. a tonearm re-wire is £25+VAT).We have all the parts on the shelf ready to go, and have now moved into our bigger brand new premises.... (the service department now has a window which is a blessing !)Feel free to give us a call if you need any advice.http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/Turntable-Servicing-c654

Isn't that trading?

Not allowed here.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Al ears said:
brownz said:
"Essential II" has no phono stage."Essential II Phono USB" has a Phono Amp and USB for Line In Recording via a built in Codec."Essential II Digital" is a new horse on the block and features a Phono Amp and SP/DIF out.As others have mentioned, a multimeter should give you a hint where the problem may lay.If it's in warranty then you can return it to the shop you bought it from.If it's out of warranty then you can return it to us for diagnosis and repair (e.g. a tonearm re-wire is £25+VAT).We have all the parts on the shelf ready to go, and have now moved into our bigger brand new premises.... (the service department now has a window which is a blessing !)Feel free to give us a call if you need any advice.http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/Turntable-Servicing-c654

Isn't that trading?

Not allowed here.

Looks more like being helpful

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Al ears said:
brownz said:

Isn't that trading?

Not allowed here.

Exactomundo. Apologies if I offended you in any way Mr Ears, only trying to be helpful.
Trading in my eyes would be constant posts advertising our wonderful range of products (which I would never do).
As we're the distributors and service center for Pro-Ject then it was just a post showing the best options IMHO the OP had for getting his TT up and running again. Other service centers are available. Your mileage may vary. Serving Suggestion Only. Warning : This post may contain nuts.

jimbofisher said:
Al ears said:
brownz said:

Isn't that trading?

Not allowed here.

I think only in one direction. ;-)

Apart from the re-iterated advice about using a multimeter it sounds very much like, send it to us and we will fix it. Even though they haven't a clue as to whether it's a fault with the turntable itself or not. Therefore blatantly showing themselves as turntable repair merchants.

And to think we gave Colin a hard time.

There are lines and very thin lines it seems, I might very well suggest the OP sends it to me and I will diagnose it.....for a fee.;-)

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
"Essential II" has no phono stage.
"Essential II Phono USB" has a Phono Amp and USB for Line In Recording via a built in Codec.
"Essential II Digital" is a new horse on the block and features a Phono Amp and SP/DIF out.
As others have mentioned, a multimeter should give you a hint where the problem may lay.
If it's in warranty then you can return it to the shop you bought it from.
If it's out of warranty then you can return it to Henley Designs Ltd who are the distributor and service center for Pro-Ject in the UK.
Other service centers are available.....

brownz said:
jimbofisher said:
Al ears said:
brownz said:

Isn't that trading?

Not allowed here.

Exactomundo. Apologies if I offended you in any way Mr Ears, only trying to be helpful.Trading in my eyes would be constant posts advertising our wonderful range of products (which I would never do).As we're the distributors and service center for Pro-Ject then it was just a post showing the best options IMHO the OP had for getting his TT up and running again. Other service centers are available. Your mileage may vary. Serving Suggestion Only. Warning : This post may contain nuts.

This post certainly contains nuts. ;-)

And you haven't offended me, takes a lot to do that. ;-)

I guess you are aware that any promotion of your service would appear to be trading, well to me anyway, but I guess it's down to the websites moderators. It is understandable that you are trying only to assist but perhaps the OP is well aware of where he got it from and whether or not it is still under warranty.

Thanks all for your feedback! I actually have an old Dual turntable in the cupboard I could get out and test if the issue occurs on that one too. If memory serves me correctly, I got a new turntable because of precisely this issue. 1.5/10 or not, I am a dunce and I have never heard of a multimeter! Clearly I've not been living...

It's definitely an irregular issue. I was extremely gentle with the tone arm today and got away with it not happening. But it will happen again for sure, it's been going on for ages. The power off and/or removing connector leads definitely temporarily resolves the issue (stops loud static noise with no music in speaker) and only ever seems to be the left speaker also. Moving the tone arm is the definite trigger.

Is there anyway the speaker or speaker cable are the culprits? They're the only items that have remained consistent in the picture (+ CD player which this issue never impacts) as I changed both amp and turntable around the same time (about a year ago).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
You'd be surprised at the number of people who have never used a multimeter let alone owned one. ;-)
I would have been once, but since that time a few years ago when someone wanted an unusually-long interconnect cable and everybody was flabberghasted because I innocently suggested he soldered-up his own (as far as I was aware, basic electrical skills have always gone hand in hand with this hobby), nothing surprises me.

Kristian Gunn said:
Also, it's always when I am placing the tone arm in or out of it's cradle. The issue never occurs when the tone arm is being moved over a record

In that case it may be a loose connection on the cartridge itself.

Try your Dual if you can and see if same things happen. Is your Project still under warranty?

TRENDING THREADS