TO NEAT OR TO KEF?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys just moved house now my system has fallen apart. Am in a bigger room but my speakers now sound really boomy.Dnt know how this is possible. I would say the room in the new house is about 2 feet longer but sounds worse. Am looking at the KEFS R500 or Neat SX1 which I can get an ex demo at £1,400. Also would consider Sonus faber toy..My current room size is 18 feet by 15. My problem now is I have auditioned all 3 speakers buit cnt get a dealer to compare side by side..

I think am liking the KEFS all round presentation. The toys sound very natural but a bit shot in. the Neats produce a lot of bass for the size but not as pleasing as the KEFS in the over all presentation.

Any suggestions welcome. like to hear from others

THANKS

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Arcam and Kef work very well together....other than that I can't comment, other than to say that you should go with what works best in your room.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If you weren't intending to change your speakers before the move, could you experiment with some acoustic treatment? A bass trap or two might remove the boominess.

Matt

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO. Arcam and Kef work very well together....other than that I can't comment, other than to say that you should go with what works best in your room.
Am trying to work out something will some dealers if I can demo at home.. But you may be right Cno the Kefs do sound better to me with the Arcam... . But it seems to me am not getting the clean sound I had in my old house with the M340s with the KEFS at audition. will try & see if I can demo the KEFS at home.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
If you weren't intending to change your speakers before the move, could you experiment with some acoustic treatment? A bass trap or two might remove the boominess.

Matt
I have tried some of acoustic material I used to use in the studio but no effect. Am beginning to think the problem is with the walls of the house. But I may have to buy dedicated bass straps. :O

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys my system sounds back to normal now.. No more bass boom. Just changed the system around to opposite side of the room... Now just need to do little adjustment to the room.. Little price to pay for getting my system sound nice once again. PHEW!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad to hear it NB.....though the Kefs might be a nice future addition. :shifty:

If your new room has a suspended wooden floor, I suspect further improvements can be made with some de-coupling measures (if they haven't already been done).

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm glad to hear it NB.....though the Kefs might be a nice future addition. :shifty: If your new room has a suspended wooden floor, I suspect further improvements can be made with some de-coupling measures (if they haven't already been done).

Yes Cno that has been done. Also I may do a direct comparison between my Boston Acoustics & the KEFS R500. I really like the control & weight of the M340's in the bottom end. Not as opened in the mids as the KEFS, but looking forward to demo side by side. But am glad my main problem of bass boom is gone for now.

But if am to change any part of my system this will be some time in the future. Cause money is a bit tight now being I just moved house.

Native_bon said:
Hey guys my system sounds back to normal now.. No more bass boom. Just changed the system around to opposite side of the room... Now just need to do little adjustment to the room.. Little price to pay for getting my system sound nice once again. PHEW!

Certainly moving the system or tweaking the position pays dividens. Since buying the PMCs the system is *sonically* almost unrecognisable. The RS6s were absolutely fine in isolation, but the PMCs have shown up the deficiencies of the MAs.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I would suggest that you stretch for the R700 if you go for the R500. I auditioned both of them and the R700 had a much bigger soundstage and a sense of ease compared to the R500. I think that speakers with 6" or 6.5" drivers are a lot better than those narrow ones with 5.25" or 5.5" drivers.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
I would suggest that you stretch for the R700 if you go for the R500. I auditioned both of them and the R700 had a much bigger soundstage and a sense of ease compared to the R500. I think that speakers with 6" or 6.5" drivers are a lot better than those narrow ones with 5.25" or 5.5" drivers.
Yes thats something else to look at but have to be careful I dn't end up getting over powering bass in my room. Never had a listen to the bigger brother, but I may as well have a listen when the time comes.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Your room size is plenty big enough to accomodate the R700. Anyway no point thinking about that now as there will be other options when the time comes.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Kef r are great speakers whether you go for 500 or 700. Ring around though you should get them new for 1150 (r500) or 1500 (r700)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Philim said:
Kef r are great speakers whether you go for 500 or 700. Ring around though you should get them new for 1150 (r500) or 1500 (r700)
ok sounds like music to my ears. MAy be when the time comes may be able to get them for even less. :pray:

Anyway my parnter seems to like the neats, but am sure this is just as a result as of it looking small & NEAT?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:

+1. I know they are a rather more expensive but I think worth it.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts