To bung or not to bung

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I've been talking on another thread and my new CM5 purchase. That's made me think about placement and as the speakers just have to go less than 0.5m away from the wall and one speaker is relatively close to a sidewall then I'll try using the supplied bungs if bass is too boomy

but this made me think generally about my rear setup. I have my b&w 686 as rears, wall mounted. Not best practice I'm sure but the best I can do in my living room. They're a nightmare to move so I'd rather not but I've just realised I forgot to put in the bungs, they'd probably help as they're rear port and wall mounted. But is it worth the hassle of taking them down? I've got the speakers set up as 'small' with a 80hz crossover, so surely the bass isn't being heavily used anyway on the rears?

is it likely to make a big difference to bung the rear 686's or should I just forget about it? :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Your rear speakers will be doing very little base-wise (partly because if your settings, and partly because of how sound is typically distributed between channels in a surround mix), so I wouldn't worry. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Easiest thing to try is to put on some music with decent bass using 'all channel stereo' mode (if you have it). You could disconnect the front and centre speaker and turn the sub off so you can't hear them, so you're just left with the surrounds running. Then try the bungs in and out and see what you think. Even though the port will be tuned to a lower frequency than the crossover point you're using, chances are you will still hear a difference, as it will still have an effect on how the speaker sounds overall. Then just choose your preference.

Do try a few different tracks though, as 'bassy music' can sometimes be centred around a small bass frequency range, and show up less of a difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts