Front ported vs rear ported speakers

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Spendor 4/5 Classic. Some bloke’s review

So the positioning compromises obviously remain. The speakers are too high (unless I stand up, which would be weird), and the chimney breast is blocking proper integration between the two units. Plus the way they’re supported on hollow shelves is no doubt detracting from the sound. But they’re still genuinely a joy and I can’t stop listening to them. They have made me realise just how good my AEs are, which are front and slot ported, interesting given recent comments. But the Spendors have also laid bare their limitations. I’ll start with a couple of minor cons. The Spendors are super transparent (I think that’s the right word), so crappy or old digital recordings can sound a bit crappy and old. They’re defo a bit bass light, which I was fully aware of and it was part of the deal, but that’s probably being slightly exacerbated by the compromised positioning. Can’t wait to hear them on proper stands in my new place. Lots of pros of course. Resolution and clarity are different level, they reveal so much more detail that I hadn’t heard before. Bass might be light but it’s so tight and melodic. Soundstage is much wider / deeper, even with the compromised position. These little fellas just ‘sing.’ And they’re so wonderfully rhythmical. Re-listening to my music library and hearing stuff in a different way is very addictive. Plus they’re beautifully made and I’m loving the retro look more than I thought. And I got £100 off due to the 3 week lead time, result!
I recall when I was an impoverish student, my pinup from the centre pages of WHF 80's edition was the Spendors. You know those massive floor standing speakers you wish you could afford but you still haven't paid the landlady's rent for last week.

It's great they're still with us today and haven't departed from their traditional design philosophy and ethos.
They kind of remind me of the John Smiths for the high end, plain and simple, no nonsense but beautifully crafted.

View: https://vimeo.com/781044151/02fd08bf93

Gray

I recall when I was an impoverish student, my pinup from the centre pages of WHF 80's edition was the Spendors. You know those massive floor standing speakers you wish you could afford but you still haven't paid the landlady's rent for last week.

It's great they're still with us today and haven't departed from their traditional design philosophy and ethos.
They kind of remind me of the John Smiths for the high end, plain and simple, no nonsense but beautifully crafted.

View: https://vimeo.com/781044151/02fd08bf93
The Spendor Prelude large standmount speakers I bought were £200 new.
Even allowing for inflation, that was a good price.
I subsequently briefly owned the (£750) S3/5R model.

I think of the original Spendor in the same way that I think of the original Quad - great British companies (I got handwritten replies from the owners of each, in response to questions).

Spencer Hughes' wife was called Dorothy, both names made up the name SpenDor.

Jasonovich

The Spendor Prelude large standmount speakers I bought were £200 new.
Even allowing for inflation, that was a good price.
I subsequently briefly owned the (£750) S3/5R model.

I think of the original Spendor in the same way that I think of the original Quad - great British companies (I got handwritten replies from the owners of each, in response to questions).

Spencer Hughes' wife was called Dorothy, both names made up the name SpenDor.
Ooooo SpenDor, I never knew that. Gray you're the kind of guy we need to have around the pub quiz! :)

My new Matrix Mini i-4 plus remote, just arrived - 15 mins ago, excited as a circus seal whose about to be fed! :)

Gray

Ooooo SpenDor, I never knew that. Gray you're the kind of guy we need to have around the pub quiz! :)

My new Matrix Mini i-4 plus remote, just arrived - 15 mins ago, excited as a circus seal whose about to be fed! :)
Gray is full of useless info - get us on 70s pop music and we've won the quiz.

A new week brings another gadget for Jason.
Enjoy it 👍

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Lol the bug is caught.
It's a fun journey not a destination for me.

I've given up saying my hifi is complete.
It's the room now I've turned my attention to fitting acoustic foam.
yes, bug well and truly caught! but i think the next upgrade will (hopefully) be speaker stands in my next place. think they would make more of a difference than upgrading my streamer in my current set up.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

TRENDING THREADS