Tinnitus

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Not posted for a while

I have not listened much recentl;y as I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus - I know there are people dying in the wars of the world but this has made a big difference to my everday life and has made me somewhat very depressed.

I am learning to 'live' with it as there is no cure

Spinning something easy on the ear....................

David Gilmour - On an Island

stevebrock said:
Not posted for a while

I have not listened much recentl;y as I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus - I know there are people dying in the wars of the world but this has made a big difference to my everday life and has made me somewhat very depressed.

Sorry to hear that Steve. It's a sod isn't it? My brother is a sufferer also. Hopefully it will ease.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
its doing my head in - at first thought my system was 'off' - I even sent my amp back off to Rega and it came back with a few Caps repalced ( strange )

I have a fullness in the ears - and cant sit in silence - the worst time is going to bed !

I have the house to myself this weekend so gonna spin plenty of vinyl to take my mind off things !

Music just doesnt sound as vibrant like it used to - to the point of whats the point in over £4k of turntable sitting on my rack ? May as well get a Planar 3 !

oh well - i need to learn how to cope with this eh !

Still have my family, kids & job etc

stevebrock said:
its doing my head in - at first thought my system was 'off' - I even sent my amp back off to Rega and it came back with a few Caps repalced ( strange )

I have a fullness in the ears - and cant sit in silence - the worst time is going to bed !

I have the house to myself this weekend so gonna spin plenty of vinyl to take my mind off things !

Music just doesnt sound as vibrant like it used to - to the point of whats the point in over £4k of turntable sitting on my rack ? May as well get a Planar 3 !

oh well - i need to learn how to cope with this eh !

Still have my family, kids & job etc

That's the way. Chin up and tonearm down. :)

Every sympathy from me too. I'm aware how distressing these conditions can be. Like Al, I hope it lessens somewhat even if a complete cure seems unlikely. I thought I'd not heard from you for a while

I had an uncle who was a hifi enthusiast and a good amateur musician. He had shingles in his seventies and his hearing became distorted so the pitch was all wrong. It meant he could no longer enjoy the music he loved: very sad.

Very best wishes.

K

keeper of the quays

Theres a radio station that broadcasts esp for tinnitus sufferers..worth a google..youtube have ambient music for tinnitus sufferers..the sound of rain is helpful..my doc offered me cognitive therapy for my tinnitus...might help? Mine gets worse then eases off for awhile..i see mine as a irritating high pitched noise..only really bothers me when its very quiet...please dont get too despodent as one gets used to it..weirdly for me it doesnt affect my hearing? Its like a humming wall that sound goes through? I still do hifi..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
..i see mine as a irritating high pitched noise..only really bothers me when its very quiet...please dont get too despodent as one gets used to it..weirdly for me it doesnt affect my hearing? Its like a humming wall that sound goes through? I still do hifi..

Mine's a high pitched whine as well, like the HT whine you used to get off old TVs. I've actually had my whole life but it was intermittent, it's only in the last few years that it switched on permanently. Biggest issue it causes me is that I can't follow conversations in loud environments any more. Doesn't really affect my music enjoyment luckily, although I tend to keep the volume down a bit these days as it can get irritating.

Dom

I feel for you stevebrock. It really get you down in the dumps. I have tinnitus as well if its any conselation, a constant swishing that never stops, all night and all day. In my case it does not seem to too bad because I can listen to music and sleep good and not notice it. So I don't think I have it as bad as you, but I have often wondered if I am hearing the music properly. I assume the inner ear is causing the noise, the tiny hairs vibrating and it sounds like its making me deaf.

Hang in there bro, it may ease off.

K

keeper of the quays

My doc told me tinnitus is nothing to do with going deaf? The main thing is not to dwell on it..which is easier said than done..as its there all the time! This where the cognitive therapy can help..my doc also said nothing can be done? Mmm...look up biochemic tissue salts. They do a tissue salt for tinnitus i believe..if you smoke? Give it up, drink? Cut right down..lots of leafy green veg, salads.sweet potatoes..(superfood)meat once a week..lots of oily fish..walk a hour a day..this will help and try to relax if you can as stress makes tinnitus worse..yep more you dwell on it the more it impinges into your life! Vicious circle! Sorry to be like a mother hen! But these strategies will help..

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the support !

When i feel it easing off - I start to dwell on it then it comes back grrrrrrrrrr

Listened to Violator on vinyl late last night as have an empty house whacked the volume up a bit and I never noticed the tinnitus !

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Music can be a very good therapy.
I have had major health issues the past 5 years and it has certainly helped me.
Keep playing the music if it helps keeping your mind off your tinnitus.

K

keeper of the quays

stevebrock said:
Thanks for the support !

When i feel it easing off - I start to dwell on it then it comes back grrrrrrrrrr

Listened to Violator on vinyl late last night as have an empty house whacked the volume up a bit and I never noticed the tinnitus !
great album..in my top ten!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,

I was diagnosed 10 years ago with exostosis, i was surfing in Ericeira (Potugal) and my board hit me in my right ear and i broke the eardrum, went to the hospital and i was diagnosed then. Back then I had 2mm opening in my right ear and 3 mm in my left ear.

For the last 2 months i have a very loud tinnitus and decided to do what i had to do 10 years ago, have a surgery to take the exostosis, worst case scenario is living with it, best case scenario it goes away after the surgery... The surgery for my right ear ( the worst one) is scheduled for May 19th, will be staing home for one week. Lets see how it goes...

The funny story is that regardless the loud tinnitus I can ear preaty good, and if I caught chill wind it get wost, get so e ear protection when you go out side especially if it is windy... Not easy to live with a "horn" inside your ear... I feel you...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for replying with your words of wisdom

I was eyeing up a new cartridge but not even sure if it would make a difference now :(

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm also sorry to hear about your plight, Steve. I suffer from a fairly constant high-pitched whistling that's got worse with age. Fortunately, it's something I'm not constantly aware of. Some people say Tinnitus is like a pneumatic drill in their head so I'm lucky. I know many who have hearing aids who say it was a bad cold that caused their loss.

I do suffer in my left ear to the extent it's always the one that needs syringing or just feels under pressure. It sometimes goes into what I can only describe as a low frequency osillation that I can feel. I did go to my local auditory clinic for a hearing test where I was told it was normal so fingers crossed. All I can usefully add is to wish you much luck.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I feel for you. I don't have tinnitus but I do frequently suffer from ETD which leaves my ears feeling full, frequency range deminished, and t's very difficult to shift. Medicine can do some amazing things, yet it also amazes me the things we can't yet cure.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Not posted for a while

Thats bad news. I also have recently got it in my left ear. Went to hospital but said theres nothing they could do, said my hearing was fine which I know its not. But I have read online there are some treatments, which may want to consider. One trains the mind to switch off from the sound.

I do find playing louder misic I don't notice it so much but not sure thats a good idea. Worst time for me is when listening to radio or tv, its really buzzing.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
wow cant believe its so common !

It begs the question, does decent hi-fi gear cause tinnitus? And if so, should we all be using poor quality gear like Matsui or Bose? *wink*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
wow cant believe its so common !

It begs the question, does decent hi-fi gear cause tinnitus? And if so, should we all be using poor quality gear like Matsui or Bose? *wink*

In my case it's probably more to do with listening to crap headphones at full blast during most of my teenage years and then compounding it with a ridiculously loud car stereo system in my twenties (although in my defence I specced a sub for accuracy of bass reproduction rather than maximum spl your honour!).

Having said that it's something I can recall occurring sporadically from about the age of 5, so predates any real music interest on my part.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts