Tin hat time!

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Ok, I have really had to think long and hard if I should tell you about my recent experience with changing cables due to the flack I will no doubt get.

Well here goes anyway.

I have long been of the opinion that ethernet cables do not affect sound quality at all until I recently read that someone else had changed their Cat 5 cable to Cat 7 and heard a definite improvement in sound.

I recently had cause to change my ethernet cable so I decided to try the Cat 7 in my system and I there is no doubt it has dramatically improved the sound. It's difficult to explain but the bass is more defined, treble detail has improved, everything seems so much better.

Ok I know it's not possible or so everyone will tell me but my ears tell me differently.

I'll get my coat then!

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
were upgraded to cat 7 a while back, I wanted them all to be black as they disappear into my cabinet better than the multi coloured variants I had previously. I can't say I noticed an improvement or not tbh but in saying that this morning my system sounded fantastic to my ears and this evening much less so... so many variables. What about old faithful, expectation bias maybe?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
to post his usual cut & paste reply to any thread started about cables whether they be audio, video, power and now ethernet, I see that he hasn't changed it when someone started a thread about "power cables for tv's" in the "home cinema" section of this forum.

*boredom*

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Never tried ethernet cables but I'm sure they probably do.im a massive cable freak.love listen to them and now watching them.i remember not believe in any of it but now a firm believer.enjoy your new cable

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought a cd player for 80 euro last week, the wife is buying me an atom infused digital optical next week for 200, should improve everything ;) :) :)

OP, if the change made a difference to your ears, that's all that matters, enjoy

Bluezip82 said:
Ok, I have really had to think long and hard if I should tell you about my recent experience with changing cables due to the flack I will no doubt get.

Well here goes anyway.

I have long been of the opinion that ethernet cables do not affect sound quality at all until I recently read that someone else had changed their Cat 5 cable to Cat 7 and heard a definite improvement in sound.

I recently had cause to change my ethernet cable so I decided to try the Cat 7 in my system and I there is no doubt it has dramatically improved the sound. It's difficult to explain but the bass is more defined, treble detail has improved, everything seems so much better.

Ok I know it's not possible or so everyone will tell me but my ears tell me differently.

I'll get my coat then!
I believe you!

Of course, that may not mean anything is measurably different, but it's how you perceived it. Just like if you went to a gig/show/concert/opera and reported that such and such singer was a bit off, nobody would say it was expectation bias!

Generally with any cables, I favour removing them all, say, once a year and remaking the connection. Doesn't hurt to keep the contacts fresh.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
on a 3m usb cable. Now I'm wondering if the cheapest Audioquest equivalent at £38.99 would have been a better bet... sleepless night looms ;-)

This!

usb_install__86786.1373076387.1280.1280.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
luckylion100 said:
on a 3m usb cable. Now I'm wondering if the cheapest Audioquest equivalent at £38.99 would have been a better bet... sleepless night looms ;-)

This!

It is, however, going to be difficult to break but don't think it will fit my DAP.

With some sort of silver plated audio grade $249 adapter it might.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Feel free to do your own research as to why the differences you think you've heard just cannot possibly exist. You don't even need to put much research into it to realise it's not possible. But people who start threads like this don't usually want to educate themselves of the facts or have anyone explain to them why they are mistaken. They usually only want to read posts from people who either believe the same as they do or who defend other forum-members' rights to post any old rubbish unchallenged.

Enjoy your thread.

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Feel free to do your own research as to why the differences you think you've heard just cannot possibly exist. You don't even need to put much research into it to realise it's not possible. But people who start threads like this don't usually want to educate themselves of the facts or have anyone explain to them why they are mistaken. They usually only want to read posts from people who either believe the same as they do or who defend other forum-members' rights to post any old rubbish unchallenged.

Enjoy your thread.

I was merely pointing out that I found a definite difference in sound quality between the two cables - fact, not a small nuance but a noticeable improvement and I agree there should not be any.

Perhaps you could educate me on why its not possible without the sarcasm?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Bluezip82 said:
MajorFubar said:

Enjoy your thread.

I was merely pointing out that I found a definite difference in sound quality between the two cables - fact, not a small nuance but a noticeable improvement and I agree there should not be any.

Perhaps you could educate me on why its not possible without the sarcasm?

Perhaps if you could explain the context in which you were using the cable, then we can explain in detail why it isn't possible.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Enjoy your thread.
so are you saying that when I use a power cable or interconnect or Speaker wire that when i hear a difference its my mind playing tricks on me.if that's so then when i buy a new CD player or amp that also means my mind is playing tricks when i hear a difference.so all this hifi is for nothing just a magic trick?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do you think electricity generated by burning oil, or gas, or coal sounds better? Which company? SSE? EoN?

Is the mains better north of Birmingham or south?

Does your listening room window face north, south, east or west? Which is best?

Which loudspeaker veneer sounds best? Cherry? Oak? Rosewood? Vinyl?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'll admit I recently 'refreshed' my dull, dusty, grey, old CAT5E UTP (unshielded) for brand new CAT6 STP/SFTP (foil shielded) Belkin cable in four jazzy colours!

It just cheered me up and - arguably - the shielding might help near PSUs etc. but I doubt any real audio quality improvements were made. Working in IT then I know - from training and experience - that certified cable from a competent manufacturer works if the appropriate type is used. You don't get superior bits, or faster bits, or bits that are particularly suited to making music sound 'airier' or more 'agile', or whatever.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
MajorFubar said:

Enjoy your thread.
so are you saying that when I use a power cable or interconnect or Speaker wire that when i hear a difference its my mind playing tricks on me.if that's so then when i buy a new CD player or amp that also means my mind is playing tricks when i hear a difference.so all this hifi is for nothing just a magic trick?

Seemore, I know you feel strongly about this, but I am afraid the scientific truth is that humans are rubbish at making objective comparisons, are highly susceptible to suggestion bias, and changing one perfectly good cable for another perfectly good cable won't make an audible difference.

Changing equipment is a different matter, that may well result in a different sound.

TRENDING THREADS