Time to upgrade the Rega Dac

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've been looking at dac's for the past year and not found the right one yet.

I have a dacmagic which I use with my small system and have a SBT going through my Caspian and am looking for a dac for this system. I have to say the SBT is doing a more than adequate job which is why I am biding my time.

I nearly went for the mdac over the rega, musical fidelity,dacmagic and will say the rega and mdac are not much apart , the mdac a bit sharper but although I liked the detail it may be too much over longer listening, I prefer things to bounce rather than march if you get my meaning.

I then listened to the Exposure which doesn't have the exacting detail of the mdac but was a joy to listen to and I am tempted to get one at home for a few days if I can.I found I was just wanting to try more tracks on it to see how they sounded and had a small grin on my face !

However this is £200 more than the mdac so I still think the mdac is an excellent product for the price, I think the Exposure would be more of a side step from the Rega but I think it is certainly worth a listen if you can.It also might depend on your listening preferences, I'm certainly more rock than classical.

I am wanting to listen to the Naim V1 dac to see if there is much if any difference moving up the price chain.From what I read and have heard I am not that optimistic, I will be hearing with the mdac as I can not get a store comparison with the Exposure.

I have considered the cneaky but inputs are not suitable for what I need and the same with the qute.

Good Luck in your search and intrigued to see how you get on.

Have fun.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Shanka said:
I am wanting to listen to the Naim V1 dac to see if there is much if any difference moving up the price chain.From what I read and have heard I am not that optimistic, I will be hearing with the mdac as I can not get a store comparison with the Exposure.

I lived with the Naim DAC V-1 for a week (well, not literally, Mrs49 wouldn't allow that). I think a fair slice of that £1250 has gone on (a) the preamp stage, (b) the Class A headphone stage (which is a thing of beauty IMO), (c) the naim.

I own an M-DAC; I don't think the Naim is worth twice as much, unless you spend a lot of time listening through high-end headphones.

:cheers:

Matt

T

the record spot

Talking about DACs, am rather happy and impressed witht he onboard DACs in the Onkyo TX-NR818. Excellent sound quality from whatever's been played.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi,

I've been looking at dac's for the past year and not found the right one yet.

I have a dacmagic which I use with my small system and have a SBT going through my Caspian and am looking for a dac for this system. I have to say the SBT is doing a more than adequate job which is why I am biding my time.

I nearly went for the mdac over the rega, musical fidelity,dacmagic and will say the rega and mdac are not much apart , the mdac a bit sharper but although I liked the detail it may be too much over longer listening, I prefer things to bounce rather than march if you get my meaning.

I then listened to the Exposure which doesn't have the exacting detail of the mdac but was a joy to listen to and I am tempted to get one at home for a few days if I can.I found I was just wanting to try more tracks on it to see how they sounded and had a small grin on my face !

However this is £200 more than the mdac so I still think the mdac is an excellent product for the price, I think the Exposure would be more of a side step from the Rega but I think it is certainly worth a listen if you can.It also might depend on your listening preferences, I'm certainly more rock than classical.

I have considered the cneaky but inputs are not suitable for what I need and the same with the qute.

Good Luck in your search and intrigued to see how you get on.

Have fun.

Have you considered the John Kenny Ciunas its about Euro 525, it has some great reviews, I believe you can try out for a few weeks and then return if not happy. http://www.johnkenny.biz/ciunas-dac

Another which is £800 is the Metrum Octave II: http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

These 2 seem to get the best user feedback on another forum.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, the suggested dacs dont't have enough inputs for what I require which is 3 optical/coax and a usb.

I will try and do my demo for the Naim V1 next week, I am coming to the conclusion that there isn't a huge amount between the dacs apart from 'presentation' and even the known diminishing returns by going up in price seem minimal.

However I quite often prove myself wrong and hearing them is the only way to decide, I do feel I'm leaning to the Exposure but will be intrigued to hear if there is much uplift over the dac of the SBT,I could always see if I could live with the Audiolab but I am not sure, probably this is why I have been dithering over this for so long, oh well .

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts