Time to move up to 7.1?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Already have a 5.1 system as listed below but having recently bought the BD player I'm now considering a 7.1 system which means adding 2 extra speakers. I've not looked in to this at all really and don't know where to site the other 2 speakers. I'm also unsure as to which speakers would complement my Mission based system.

Any advice would be appreciated

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I think the general idea is to site the existing rears to the left and right of where you sit, and the additional ones directly behind.

Personally, I'm not that convinced by 7.1 (which is lucky, as the missus reckons I have too many speakers in the livingroom already!), and most movies are still recorded in 5.1, so the 7.1 effect is ghosted in a pro-logic fashion. Perhaps ask for a demonstration of a 5.1 set-up and then add in the additional two, to see if you really think the spend is worth it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The first thing to ask yourself is do you really need 7.1? Is your room big enough for it?

The cheapest 7.1 option would be to get another pair of Mission 77DS speakers (if you can find any second hand) to compliment the ones you already have. Or even better - how about selling your Mission 77DS and replacing them with four Mission M30i bookshelf speakers to use for the side and rear surrounds instead?

A

Anonymous

I moved up and loved it it adds an extra dimension and a more enveloping sound some how completes the soundfield making it a more beliveable experience but you do need quite a large room to get it to work ok my lounge is 10' wide x 20' long look here for speaker placement.
http://www.dolby.co.uk/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html
I have the same fronts and centre as you and some mission m30i for the ones by my ears and I added monitor audio br1's as the rears and they seem to gel well with the missions personally with the extra 2 I found auto callibration was a little out so invest in a spl meter too they are not that expensive and wiki how to callibrate your system.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the info! My room isn't as big a yours so I'm not sure if I can justify it! I notice when I play a Blu Ray that the Onkyo displays DTS HD Master as the sound output....with only a 5.1 am I getting HD sound?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
grdunn123:Thanks for all the info! My room isn't as big a yours so I'm not sure if I can justify it! I notice when I play a Blu Ray that the Onkyo displays DTS HD Master as the sound output....with only a 5.1 am I getting HD sound?

Yes

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
chudleighpaul:

grdunn123:Thanks for all the info! My room isn't as big a yours so I'm not sure if I can justify it! I notice when I play a Blu Ray that the Onkyo displays DTS HD Master as the sound output....with only a 5.1 am I getting HD sound?

Yes

Thanx Chudleigh.....try and keep your replies a little briefer?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

my amp the soony dh800 the same as others ghosts the rear 2 except on 7.1 tarcks but I get excellent results from 5.1 tracks boosted to 7.1 so long as you can get the middle at ear level and the rears behind i would say go for it I cant see me going back to 5.1

TRENDING THREADS