Time for new set-up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
I think you have just reinforced my belief that modern stuff gives better sound per pound, if you go out today and buy a well chosen £1000 amp (todays equivilent price of a Kenweed 660) then I would place a bet the modern one would more than likely perform better . I would say the KA660 is similar qualty as something like todays Denon PMA720 or Onkyo 9030 whick can be had for for less than £200

Hiya John.

As I said, I tried the PM8005 (£1,000) which performed quite a bit better. More muscular, which reminded me of my old Kenwood in that respect.

It was my thinking too that these days one can get more for less, which is why I was looking at the PM6005. Next weekend I'll take along a couple of Telarc CD's, if that doesn't spark any 'umff', nothing will....

Cheers...Freddy

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
dont forget as you have aged since the 80's your hearing frequecy extremes will be rolled off ;) , maybe thats another factor :roll:

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thats an interesting point , what is the current version of a 25 year old amp , pound for pound .

Now the first thing I ever bought was a Sony CDP 35 in about 86/87 for 200 quid ( I had to get my Father to sign the intrest free credit agreement as I was too young, then go into the shop every monday lunch time and chip away at it from my saturday job money )

But really I started buying Hi-Fi in about '91 and finished in about '97 and I can remember model numbers and prices from then , so out of intrest I went looking online at current ranges and trying to match the model numbers and prices . came up with the following

Audiolab and Cryus used to start at £500 now start at £750 Nad 302 was £200 current 326 is £350 , Arcam is a bit of a problem as they used to do 3 the alpha 7 , 8 and 9 , was there a 10 ? at £240/ £350 and £500 now only do 2 the a19 and a38 and £650 and £1300 so who knows which one is which .

So it seems to me what was considered budget level of £200-250 is now £350 to 450 and what was considered mid range at £500 is now about £750 , so maybe Hi-Fi is getting cheaper on a sound per pound level , of course we didn't have i-things fighting for our money back then

James

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Thats an interesting point , what is the current version of a 25 year old amp , pound for pound .

Now the first thing I ever bought was a Sony CDP 35 in about 86/87 for 200 quid ( I had to get my Father to sign the intrest free credit agreement as I was too young, then go into the shop every monday lunch time and chip away at it from my saturday job money )

But really I started buying Hi-Fi in about '91 and finished in about '97 and I can remember model numbers and prices from then , so out of intrest I went looking online at current ranges and trying to match the model numbers and prices . came up with the following

Audiolab and Cryus used to start at £500 now start at £750 Nad 302 was £200 current 326 is £350 , Arcam is a bit of a problem as they used to do 3 the alpha 7 , 8 and 9 , was there a 10 ? at £240/ £350 and £500 now only do 2 the a19 and a38 and £650 and £1300 so who knows which one is which .

So it seems to me what was considered budget level of £200-250 is now £350 to 450 and what was considered mid range at £500 is now about £750 , so maybe Hi-Fi is getting cheaper on a sound per pound level , of course we didn't have i-things fighting for our money back then

James

Its definetly getting better sound per pound relative to the late 80's early ninties,

take for example the exposure 1010 amp retailing now for about 450...ish ,that would mean it would have cost only £100 or less about that time.

most amps that cost that cheap then were nasty grainy low power things,, yet for the equivelent price today you can something like the exposure, things have moved on...a lot

the hifi snobs can think what they like, buts fact is there is much better value to be had now in the budget and mid range stuff

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No I think it would have been 200-250 notes back then , what i'm, thinking is the entry level / budget stuff has moved up in price , or kept pace with income more , where as the mid range has got cheaper in real terms and so is a better buy now

James

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Could someone please tell me if enclosed speaker cabinets offer up more bass? Maybe this was the reason my old Kefs sounded so good?

I think that it is generally that modern speakers have a 'faster' punchier sound than your old Kefs which will probably sound a bit dark and woolly to anyone used to modern designs.

If you want a pair of inexpensive speakers with a big, weighty sound, look at a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
Could someone please tell me if enclosed speaker cabinets offer up more bass? Maybe this was the reason my old Kefs sounded so good?

I think that it is generally that modern speakers have a 'faster' punchier sound than your old Kefs which will probably sound a bit dark and woolly to anyone used to modern designs.

If you want a pair of inexpensive speakers with a big, weighty sound, look at a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i.

Thanks for that Dave, a place to start, at least :)

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Modern kit is often cleaner, and brighter sounding than older stuff. I often think it is designed to be immpresive on a quick dem. I dont really know what your budget is, or what kit you want. I suggest you find a dealer with spendors in stock, and have a listen to the small floorstanders. If the dont suit try some rega r3 or 5.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts