Time for a new CD player

Tee71

Feb 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks. First post and I'm hoping for some advice.

My current setup dates from the late 90s and consists of an Arcam Alpha 7 CD player, MF XA1 amp and Monitor Audio monitor 3 floorstanders. The Arcam has bitten the dust and I'm looking for a replacement. For my budget (up to £500) the Marantz cd6007 seems to be the one to go for, but I have a couple of questions. Firstly given the age of the rest of my setup, will I be able to make the most of the Marantz, or would it be just as good to buy something cheaper?
Secondly, at that price range, is there anything else I should consider?
And one final one. Is there any point in upgrading the interconnect? (Currently an Ixos Gamma 1002)

Thanks everyone.

Trev

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your Arcam. Is it past repair?
Always a good idea to upgrade sources and I think the Marantz would be good in your system, also check out the Rotel CD11 Tribute, arguably a better player if you believe some reviews. Depends whether it has to be new.
I don't think you need to worry about upgrading interconnects.

Last edited:
I was about to recommend trying a used rega Saturn or Apollo, but prices seem to have gone crazy. Second I would say Simaudio Moon. as they are battleship build quality and sound amazing.
After that, try and get a decent Marantz from the premium range. Well worth hunting down, but may just stretch that budget a little, but again, build quality is second to none.

matthewpiano

The Marantz CD6007 and Rotel CD11 Tribute are both great players. I've got the Marantz and my Dad has the Rotel, and I'd happily recommend either. The Marantz is closer in sound to your Arcam, and the Rotel has more punch. The Denon players are also worthy - DCD600NE and DCD800NE both excellent buys.

I also have an MF 2scd and it's a superb player with a very quiet transport. The only issue is that the display is hard to read from the listening position, particularly if your equipment rack isn't directly in front of you as in my case.

Reactions: Al ears

gasolin

im high jacking this thread, since i also want one but it's lower than the marntz cd6007 and Denon DCD800ne, i can get a yamaha cd-s300 for under 300 euro new.

I need,want one that is silent when the disc is spinning

Why arcam dvd play ?

Personally i want to use my topping e30 with my cd player so it needs to have optical or coaxial out

Last edited:

matthewpiano

im high jacking this thread, since i also want one but it's lower than the marnzt cd6007 and Denon DCD800ne, i can get a yamaha cd-s300 for under 300 euro new.

I need,want one that is silent when the disc is spinning

Why arcam dvd play ?

Personally io wnat to use my topping e30 with my cd player so it needs to have optical or coaxial out

What about the DCD600NE?

Denon and Marantz players have very quiet transports. I'd avoid NAD as they tend to be very noisy.
If you're going to be using an external DAC, you could consider a transport such as the Audiolab 6000T or the Cambridge Audio CXC. The Audiolab I can vouch for, but not the Cambridge.

gasolin

HOLY crap, that's the first time i have seen paul rigby give 10 out of 10

Reactions: Al ears

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Skimming through into Rigby's Q&A, this advice of his is akin to a-free-gem:
"if you do ever ask a hi-fi dealer for independent sound advice, just bear in mind that you’re also talking to a business man…who sells hi-fi…who has invested a lot of his own money in stock…and he’s trying to sell it…"

gasolin

If any would benefit from my choice, i chose the Yamaha CD-S300, it's one of the best low budget cd player, some rated it as the best low budget cd player https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fBLu70SqpFL/learn/home-CD-player-buying-guide.html they have recommended it many times over in the steve hofmann forum and it was in my price range, also they had it stock in black which they didn't with the Denon DCD-600NE (both colours weren't stock)

Last edited:

Tee71

Feb 14, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. Certainly food for thought. I hadn't realised that the Rotel was a KI-tuned machine. Back in '97 when I bought the Arcam, I listened to it against the CD63 KI and was impressed, but the slightly smoother sound of the Arcam suited my musical taste/ears better. Now wondering if I can justify the extra cash for the Musical Fidelity or the 6000CDT and a dac...

gasolin

Yamaha CD-S300 recieved

I can't say how it sounds since my amp is also new, one thing i can say is it sounds very open and clear, not super warm sound like something with tubes and blooted bass,midbass

Last edited:

manicm

What about the DCD600NE?

Denon and Marantz players have very quiet transports. I'd avoid NAD as they tend to be very noisy.
If you're going to be using an external DAC, you could consider a transport such as the Audiolab 6000T or the Cambridge Audio CXC. The Audiolab I can vouch for, but not the Cambridge.

I’d avoid NAD CD players full stop 🤣

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts