Tightening up bass

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Currently running old Epos M12 on Attacama stands (not filled), at low volumes the bass is fine, however as I increase volume the bass becomes a bit boomy. I have the speakers sat on isolation pads on the stands, but stands are not spiked (lost and also wooden floor [rented property]). Any ideas for tightening up the bass would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Partington stands are better.

Filling the stands will probably help too.

Try granite or even concrete blocks between the stand and the floor. Put PTFE pads in the corners of the block and then blutak the stands to the blocks. Of course spikes would be better!

A

Anonymous

M12 are rear ported bass reflex if I'm not mistaken. So place them well away from rear wall. Then bass traps in all corners.

This will control the bass much more effectively than filling stands.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Pretty much agree with angelface

Id definitely fill the stands (Sands cheap enough). More weight means better control, which means you should also hear more detail

Personally I have my floorstanders spiked into a wooden plinth which is blutacked to a concrete paving slab. Bass is as tight as scrooge

You can buy replacement spikes off ebay or whatever if need be

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Address the issue with your amp first and then see where it goes. A NAD 320BEE is not exactly getting the best from the M12s

I suggest a Creek Evolution 2, given that Creek and Epos are effectively the same company and develop their products with each other. (£599)

Failing that, a used Creek or Naim Nait 5 or Nait 5i (typically £350 - £500 used depending on model and age) or even a brand new Rega Brio 3 (£325) which has decent power for the price and sounds energetic without being bass heavy.

Call Atacama and see about replacing your lost spikes and get pea sized blobs of Blu-Tack between the stands and speakers. Then press down evenly and gently.

Keep the speakers at least 18" from corners and make sure they are away from rear walls as much as is convenient.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all, very useful tips indeed.

Currently approx 18" from rear wall, although don't expect sloping ceiling helps much.

Re new amp, was considering this as a potential area, am due a payout from Qantas of a couple of hundred, so was considering a power amp to boost drive to speakers, would this help or would just a new integrated be a better option? Newer Audiolab 8000p can be had for around £290. Creek would be lovely due to the snnyergy with Epos although not sure can stretch to that at present

A

Anonymous

Would love to see a picture of the plinth/blu tack/concrete paving slab in your listening room

TRENDING THREADS