News Tidal giving you all the music and quality for £10.99

podknocker

I'm giving Tidal a go, free for a month and if it does sound better and I can find all the music I want to listen to, then I might ditch Spotify. With Tidal combining all their 24 bit content into 1 package, I can't see people sticking with Spotify, or even joining up, when it's the same price as Tidal and all of Spotify's music is at very average quality. If Spotify release a HIFI package, or turn all their music into 24 bit, then I think they stand a chance. If they stand still, they will surely lose out to Tidal.

Last edited:
Reactions: as286 and DougK1

I'm giving Tidal a go, free for a month and if it does sound better and I can find all the music I want to listen to, then I might ditch Spotify. With Tidal combining all their 24 bit content into 1 package, I can't see people sticking with Spotify, or even joining up, when it's the same price as Tidal and all of iSpotify's music is at very average quality. If Spotify release a HIFI package, or turn all their music into 24 bit, then I think they stand a chance. If they stand still, they will surely lose out to TIdal.
Worth a try but if I eventually go for any streaming service I think it will be Qubuz

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site

I'm giving Tidal a go, free for a month and if it does sound better and I can find all the music I want to listen to, then I might ditch Spotify. With Tidal combining all their 24 bit content into 1 package, I can't see people sticking with Spotify, or even joining up, when it's the same price as Tidal and all of iSpotify's music is at very average quality. If Spotify release a HIFI package, or turn all their music into 24 bit, then I think they stand a chance. If they stand still, they will surely lose out to TIdal.
I'm so tempted. My son pays for a family subscription to Spotify and I told him Tidal's family subscription was competitively priced but he's happy with Spotify.

Friesiansam

To make the most of Tidal, I would have to replace my Pathos DAC/headphone amp or, buy another standalone DAC and, not everyone agrees Tidal MQA is as good as claimed. I know they are now beginning to use FLAC but, is likely to be a long time before all their library is available as FLAC, if ever.

I can play anything on Qobuz and, it has more of what I want to listen to.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
I swore to ditch Deezer several times because of its scandalous price increases but unfortunately I cannot find an alternative. They have HiFi (FLAC) but that doesn't set them apart from other services: IMHO they have ways of music discovery way superior compared to the other streaming services. Especially the Flow function ( "Flow is your personalized soundtrack, which includes favorites and recommendations based on the content you've favorited on Deezer"). I would miss this way too much.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm giving Tidal a go, free for a month and if it does sound better and I can find all the music I want to listen to, then I might ditch Spotify. With Tidal combining all their 24 bit content into 1 package, I can't see people sticking with Spotify, or even joining up, when it's the same price as Tidal and all of Spotify's music is at very average quality. If Spotify release a HIFI package, or turn all their music into 24 bit, then I think they stand a chance. If they stand still, they will surely lose out to Tidal.
I think Spotify are starting to put more store in podcasts and audio books. That's the business plan they will expand before they worry about audio quality. I'd be interested in audio books if I could listen unlimited like I do with music, all there is at the mo that I can see is Audible and that isn't unlimited listening of books, just one credit a month..

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I tried tidal for a month. The fact it’s pretty much a clone of the Spotify UX made it super intuitive. In the end it’s such a small difference in sound, and I can only hear it when A/Bing them, it just wasn’t enough to tear me away from 20 odd years of Spotify library & playlists.

Sixtyten

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
An observation? Tidal Connect on an Android phone. Tidal via an Amazon Fire 4K. On the same network. You'd think you'd be able to stream from Tidal Connect to the Tidal app on the Amazon Fire 4K. Of course, you would be wrong.

Last edited:

DCarmi

My son pays for a family subscription to Spotify
... and now he is paying £2 a month more due a price rise and £3 more than Tidal is currently.

I can see is Audible and that isn't unlimited listening of books, just one credit a month..
Cheaper to by 12 credits a year and you get access to assorted free audiobooks under the premium plus banner.

Gray

I keep reading about the millions of tracks available from streaming services.....
And wonder why Spotify search can't find several of the tracks I've searched for.
Finds the artist, not the tracks.

Of course they can't have everything, but what is it? 8 million tracks? How can I miss?

(No matter how obscure, I've never drawn a blank when searching standard YouTube).

Personally, I can't imagine myself ever paying for a streaming service.

Reactions: DougK1

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I keep reading about the millions of tracks available from streaming services.....
And wonder why Spotify search can't find several of the tracks I've searched for.
Finds the artist, not the tracks.

Of course they can't have everything, but what is it? 8 million tracks? How can I miss?

(No matter how obscure, I've never drawn a blank when searching standard YouTube).

Personally, I can't imagine myself ever paying for a streaming service.
Being lazy I asked Alexa to play a specific track by a specific artist last night and Alexa told me she couldn't find that track on Spotify. I'm thinking to myself, have a got the track title wrong.
So I went back into the dining room opened Spotify on my phone and there was the artist and track exactly as I'd asked for so I used the spotify app to play it on my echo dot in the kitchen. Completely different to your situation I know.
However I do have an Olivia Newton John album on vinyl, that was bought for me as a Christmas present around 1982, no amount of searching on Spotify or Amazon music brings this album up.

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Gray

Being lazy I asked Alexa to play a specific track by a specific artist last night and Alexa told me she couldn't find that track on Spotify. I'm thinking to myself, have a got the track title wrong.
So I went back into the dining room opened Spotify on my phone and there was the artist and track exactly as I'd asked for so I used the spotify app to play it on my echo dot in the kitchen. Completely different to your situation I know.
However I do have an Olivia Newton John album on vinyl, that was bought for me as a Christmas present around 1982, no amount of searching on Spotify or Amazon music brings this album up.
We maybe have to assume that Alexa misheard you - otherwise how could it miss something that was clearly there? 🤔

DCarmi

I had the same question from a colleague at work. He was looking for a Judi Tzuke album. Turned out that the distributor were no longer distributing the album in any format. I don't know if it is a rights issue or not.

There are a few albums I've searched for and not found, so I guess the reason is the same.

Gray

I had the same question from a colleague at work. He was looking for a Judi Tzuke album. Turned out that the distributor were no longer distributing the album in any format. I don't know if it is a rights issue or not.

There are a few albums I've searched for and not found, so I guess the reason is the same.
Yes, there are plenty of greyed-out tracks dotted around too (where, at least you can see what's being withheld).

podknocker

There are a few tracks missing from their database and a few are greyed out and unavailable. I think they have over 80 million tunes and a good few million podcasts available, so there is plenty of stuff to listen to. I never find it difficult to find something new to listen to, on a daily basis. I'm currently listening to some acoustic guitar tracks and the whole playlist is 16 hours. Fabulous value.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Witterings

He was looking for a Judi Tzuke album.

Great artist, Welcome To The Cruise was brilliant, apparently when making it rumour is they could only afford the drummer Simon Phillips for one track so used him on Sukarita.

Regards searching for tracks, with Amazon I've had different results by searching either just by the track or album title or just by the artist and then looking through their tracks / albums and have often found things I couldn't by putting in track and artist name.

I've just signed up for the 60 day Tidal trial so be interesting to see how it goes.

Reactions: DCarmi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts