Thoughts on onix OA21S

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I have been offered this amp for a mouth watering price of 289 pounds. Supposed to have been a challenger to the Naim 5 series integrated Amps. I plan to use this to power the QA concept 40's in my second system. However I cannot find any reviews of this amp online . If anyone has any experience or impressions about this amp. Please do share. Thanks in advance :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
that iam very happy with the refinement of the concept 40's. Just looking for that extra kick led me to other speakers. Some folks have mentioned pairing the concept 40's with Naim gear and are very happy with the results. As Naim's slightly forward sound cancels out the concept 40's slightly laid back character. So fondly hoping that onix has a similar sound presentation if anyone has heard them. Supposed to be British vintage gear now, but very good. Thanks for your time :)

insider9

I've only heard of it. Not really sure what but it was positive and would take a chance. However I don't know how good of a bargain it is. I can say that I like trying out different gear so if you have the cash and it's in good nick why not :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Smashing amplifier, truly outstanding in it's time and place. Mind you it's time was the 1980s so it will be getting on a bit.

One of our favourite systems included the OA21s and ES14s, fabulous sounding setup.

insider9

davedotco said:
Smashing amplifier, truly outstanding in it's time and place. Mind you it's time was the 1980s so it will be getting on a bit.

One of our favourite systems included the OA21s and ES14s, fabulous sounding setup.
Interesting matching with Epos I'd definitely go for it. Only so far had one pair but they are special speakers.

davedotco said:

+1 Although I heard it with Heybrook HB1's. Not sure whether that's good value now though. Perhaps if it has been serviced.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The seller has mentioned that he has renewed the caps a year ago. So I guess by davedotco's advise that a purchase is in order. Will post back my impressions paired with the concept 40's. Thanks again :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Went back to buy. And it vanished. Sold in less than 12 hrs. Must have been a smashing amp to disappear so fast. So my quest continu s, for cheap pre-loved gear to drive the concept 40's :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As said in the other thread, Naim/Densen/Cyrus would all probably be good matches. Alternatively a fast and reasonably powerful valve amplifier such as some from Icon.

Go for as new as possible.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I had one on loan in the early 90's while my amp was being repaired and didn't want to give it back

Look forward to your impressions.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts