Thoughts / help picking new Amp (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz)

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, looking to replace my AV amp, trading in my existing Amp.

Was looking at the Denon AVR-X3300 (£410 with trade in, RRP £800), Marantz SR6011 (£600 with trade in, RRP £1100).

Have been offered the Yamaha RX-A2060 (£900 with trade in, RRP £1500), this discounted due to no stock of the RX-A1060, take it Yamaha must be discounting the 2060 to AV stores at the moment due to the shortage of 1060's.

Really not looking to spend as much as £900 but pretty good deal, would extra cost be worth it.

I will use new amp 50/50 movies and music, which would be the best for music listening?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things I'd be considering in your situation: tonal balance and bass control.

What speakers have you got?

First of all, I'd be making the same sort of considerations as with any speaker / amp partnering. If your speakers are laid back and you choose a similarly laid back amp, then the result could be too soft, languid and disengaging. Similarly a forward amp with bright speakers could be grating and wearisome to listen to for long periods. So mentioning your speakers may help.

The other consideration is bass control. For multi-channel, it's not usually too much of an issue because your powered subwoofer (making assumptions about your set-up here) will be handling the bass. But when playing 2-channel music sources through solely your main left & right speakers, this becomes much more important. If you have floorstanders, then many budget / midrange AV receivers are going to struggle dishing out tight controlled bass, simply because their power supplies are ultimately lacking. A good indication is often to compare the actual weight of the receiver. Often, a heavier receiver means a better power supply.

In this respect, the Yamaha RX-A2060 will have a definite advantage over the others you're considering - but that advantage could be undone if it doesn't suit your speakers' tonal balance.

The other option is to look at the receiver that suits the tonal balance of your speakers the best, regardless of its power supply, then add a separate 2-channel power amp later to drive your main left & right speakers.

Of course, if you have a subwoofer/satellite system, much of the above is not applicable.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for reply, I have KEF iQ5se floorstanders for left and right, matching iQ centre speaker, couple of KEF eggs for rear and a REL Q150e subwoofer.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:
Another option is Marantz SR7010, currently available for a bargain £899.

i think he wants a new 2016 amp, not an old 2015 model- although you do get more for your money buying last year's receivers at the current knock-down prices.

Not bothered if 2016 or 2015 model, I'm getting £200 trade in so Marantz 7010 would work out at £700 with trade in or do you think the Yamaha 2060 is better for £900 including trade in? (getting a discount on this due to no stock of 1060)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts