This was really not something I wanted to get into!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, as the subject suggests, this is not something I thought/hoped would ever be an issue for me...

I've posted previously about speakers for extreme metal - I have a couple of fairly humble set ups as follows:

1) Onkyo TX-8050 - Mission 751

2) Marantz 63CD MkII KI sig ->Pioneer A400 -> Acoustic Energy AE109

I've just spent the evening (admittedly with a few ciders) listening to some of my favourite recordings (or so I thought) of various classic extreme metal albums.

I thought that neither of my 2 set ups was really doing justice to these recordings. Some of the recordings I'm talking about, if this means anything to anyone, are for example:

1) Slayer - Reign in Blood

2) Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption

Now I know the ND album will have been poorly recorded, but I thought the Slayer album was probably OK. Listening to these on either of my set ups just left me feeling a bit, well, meh. And I thought this was because neither set up had enough bass grunt.

However, I've just stuck on a few more modern recordings on both systems, if you're interested as follows:

1) Machine Head - Unto the Locust

2) Meshuggah - Koloss

3) Mastodon - The Hunter

Listening to these has totally blown apart my idea that either system does not have enough bass grunt, so to speak. Even the relatively bass light 751s are absolutely rocking with these newer recordings.

So, basically, I never ever ever ever wanted to get to the point where I might not want to listen to certain albums because I thought they were badly recorded. This isn't going to stop me listening to Napalm Death or Reign in Blood, but crikey these better/newer recorded albums do sound amazing.

Do you think massively upgrading my systems would make much difference to poorly recorded albums, or is that just an inherent problem with certain recordings?

It's kind of depressing, if you know what I mean. I do find this is mostly a problem with this kind of metal - I just really want to be kicked in the stomach by this kind of music. I listen to electronic music wanting the same kind of kick, but I guess most of it is fairly recently recorded (or recorded in a different way) and doesn't disappoint in the same way.

Balls.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I admit my testing is pretty shoddy - but the long and the short of it is that I am now convinced that both of my set ups can deliver the bass grunt (more or less, to a degree, and so on) that I am looking for providing the source recording is up to it.

Of course, I could always improve.

Still kicking myself for not picking up those Mission 752s that went for £31 on ebay. £31!!!!

A

Anonymous

Over my few years of hifi, I've certainly noticed that some of the systems I have had have been more forgiving of the more poorly recorded material. I don't know any way to fix this, but what I did was keep a mental note of what sounds great and what soundsawful on my current system, and use both good and bad sounding material when demoing for upgrades, in order to try get a boost overall.

ps. Cider and metal? Saturday night! :dance:

:help:

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
That's the problem with trying to find a system which will do justice to albums that were recorded 26 years apart!

If you add a sub, you can turn it off if you want, not that I think you ever will. Once you hear what a sub can do for all that double kick, you won't be able to stop grinning.:dance:

A

Anonymous

I guess this is where the tone controls and loudness buttons would come into play.

You could add a pc or mac to your hifi system with a dac, enabling you to eq to your hearts content in itunes to "enhance " the recordings you find uncomfortable to listen to.

It works wonders with the likes of Celtic Frost, Possessed, Venom, Death Angel, Dark Angel etc although theres not much you can do to tweak....And Justice for All
doh.gif

There is no problem with your system if certain recordings are rocking, maybe drinking Snakebite or Newkie Brown next time will enhance the listening session as the 'eadbangers drinks of choice.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Still kicking myself for not picking up those Mission 752s that went for £31 on ebay. £31!!!!

[/quote] Omnibeard

I too recently sold a pair of these for a similar amount and was gutted at the very low price I got for them :cry:

I would also confirm that if it is any consolation I don't think they would have solved your problem, especially if they were the original 752's and not freedoms.

I too love my extreme metal (living with a 21 year old mosher son kinda brain washed me) but found some recordings, Slayer Lamb of God and Fear Factory to be light in the Bass department. And way too bright on the original 752's. I now have the freedoms which has improved the brightness.

I think that if it's not in the recording to start with, you aint gonna retrieve what's not there no matter what you do to your system IMHO.

I'm also a big RUSH fan and find their new album to be too much the other way. Too much Bass and not dynamic enough on my system.

No wouldn't it be great if we could have a system for each type of music/recording we were listening to. Fantasy I know.

Also...coming from the west country there is nothing wrong with a bit of wholesome apple juice!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts