Thinking of peeking over the fence and having a look at digital playback

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Morning peeps!

Although I am pretty much a vinyl boy, these days, I fancy having a look at non-cd, digital playback, and i'd like to know if i'm going down the right path with my plan.

So, I don't have any need for streaming capability, as all of my electrical components are within 2 metres of each other and can be easily hardwired. I already have 2 external hardrives and a media player with optical out, which I use for viewing movies. With this in mind, am I right in thinking that I really only need a DAC , fed by the media player by optical and then connected to my amp by RCAs, to be up and running?

If that is the case, is the REGA DAC still the way to go? I know Michy boy and a few others on here love theirs. I don't want to spend more than £500.

Thanks all!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I heard an all Rega set-up the other day in Audio-T (Brio/Apollo/RS5/DAC) and it sounded stunning, though how much that was down to the DAC I couldn't say. The Audo-T guy was telling me it was their best selling DAC by a country mile.

There's one on Ebay from LintoneAudio at the moment...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380370301401?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, DIB. So that's another vote for the REGA. Thanks for the link, too mate. I think they're being a bit optimistic with their pricing for the unit that you linked to, considering it's got a bit of damage on the top and the faceplate looks a right mess. It's had a rough 6 months, poor thing! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
......Mornin' Sir.

It certainly beats peeking over the "out of bounds" fence at your golf ball (as happened me yesterday). :)

FWIW. I think the Rega is the one to beat around that money.....though if you can get to a Linn dealer, you should also have a listen to a Sneaky (or keep an eye out for an ex dem one), as this is also well worth the effort.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
Thanks, DIB. So that's another vote for the REGA. Thanks for the link, too mate. I think they're being a bit optimistic with their pricing for the unit that you linked to, considering it's got a bit of damage on the top and the faceplate looks a right mess. It's had a rough 6 months, poor thing! :)

True.

The system I saw was Black and it looks tons better.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess if you're a vinyl guy you should especially have a look at the Rega DAC. It has an 'analogue sound' to it. I sure love mine... Got it now 2 months, still amazed!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks y'all!

Cno: Don't talk to me about golf, I may well cry. I knackered myself at the gym, three weeks ago, putting the left side of my back and neck into spasm, locking 2 vertabrae in my neck together which then compressed one of the nerves feeding my right arm, meaning i've lost 50% of the strength in that arm and I can't feel the fingers in the right hand. It's temporary, but a slow fix. They reckon about three months. So, until i'm fixed there's no golf (or gym, or driving, or work) for me! Gutted. I'd just got my putting sorted, too!

How's your game at the mo?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that.....do you have access to a good Osteopath?

My golf is fairly non existant. I only played on Thursday (at Glasson), as it is the annual event, where the same crowd of "eejits" have got together for the last 16 years...no excuses are accepted for wimping out.

I played well except (in golf there's always "an except"), every time a took the "big dog" out of the bag, I blanked the whole. This I did on 6 occasions - why oh why do our golfing egos not let us leave the driver in the bag!!

I won the nearest the pin prize, with a truely magnificent 4 iron (utility) on the 177 yard 15th, P3 over the lake....seen here (2nd photo down - over bridge): http://www.clubchoice.ie/glasson-hotel-and-golf-club.html. I was 89" from the pin, despite the strong left to right breeze.

My sights were also set on the longest drive due to my secret weapon....a golf ball (bought in the States) that was guaranteed to go 20 yards further. It did. Right out of the golf course into a 15 ft drain. I only ever got to hit it the once!!

Suffering a bit now.....but still considering an invite to the Slieve Russell on Wednesday. If I'm going to f*@k myself up, I might as well make a proper job of it.

Hope you get back to normality soon

Cno

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, i've been going to an osteopath every week. The first two sessions I had with him, I was still so in spasm that he couldn't really do anything bar a bit of pointless massage. a great way to spend £37 a pop! The last session was better, though. he managed to get a couple of clicks out of my neck. I've been doing the exercises he gave me to do at home, every hour and icing the neck too, and things are slowly loosening.

That hole that you won nearest the pin is a beaut. Well done, fella! You cracked me up with the super ball story!

Where you living Cno? Maybe when i'm no longer a cripple we'll have a cheeky round?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I live in Northern Ireland, but will play almost anywhere in Ireland.....so if you're ever here, give me the nod.

If your back is still sore, it will balance things out nicely....there are handycaps, and there are handcaps....mine is L4/L5 and L5/S1! :(

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
haha! i'm C6 and C7.

My old man's from Northern Ireland and all his clan are still over there, in and around Armagh, and I do want to get over to see em, so we might just be able to have this disabled golf day :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts