Thinking of a New DAC & Pre Stage

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
For the last 8 months or so I've been running a MF SDAC as my DAC and Pre with a Classe CA-2100 as my power amp. I'm happy with the CA-2100 and its more than capable of driving my stand mounts without breaking a sweat. I am starting to think I could possibly get more from it though with a different DAC and Pre combo. 99.9% of my music is digital in source so it makes sense to focus on this. The logical choice would be a Classe CP-800 but I'm a little hesitant about buying another DAC/Pre combination box and thinking that maybe a seperate DAC and Pre might be more future proof and offer better results. That said, there is the obvious logic that the more boxes you introduce the harder it will be to get synergy between them.

Anyone got any thoughts as to the way to go?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, the CP-800 is £5k and a few years old and I'm not convinced that it represents either best value or best performance available at that price point. Also, the option to audition at home is zero. I was tempted to maybe get a Audiolab DAC+ from superfi and see how it compares to the SDAC. On paper it has better chips and also has balanced outputs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't underestimate the DAC in the CP800 (which was upgraded not too long ago) - overall, it is an excellent pre-amplifier, and would be my first choice if using a dedicated two channel system.

David@FrankHarvey said:
Don't underestimate the DAC in the CP800 (which was upgraded not too long ago) - overall, it is an excellent pre-amplifier, and would be my first choice if using a dedicated two channel system.

I would certainly be considering this option if I had the money and listened almost soley to digital sources. The synergy would be there that may be lost in a third-party two box set-up of similar price.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The CP-800 was updated in 2013 to the mk2 revision from what Classe told me. No doubt it's still a very, very good piece of kit but when you look at the Chord Hugo TT at £2400 it just doesnt jump out as justifiable. Maybe I just need to keep saving.

JMac said:
The CP-800 was updated in 2013 to the mk2 revision from what Classe told me. No doubt it's still a very, very good piece of kit but when you look at the Chord Hugo TT at £2400 it just doesnt jump out as justifiable. Maybe I just need to keep saving.

That's okay if you just want a dac. The Hugo isn't a preamp as well is it?

Ex display CP800 mk2 here for £3995.

https://www.hifix.co.uk/classe-cp800-pre-amplifier-silver-mk2

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The Hugo TT works as a digital preamp. The standard Hugo is DAC only. My budget at the moment is about £2.5k so I guess I need to do more saving.

correction, both the Hugo and the Hugo TT can work as pre amps.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
JMac said:
The Hugo TT works as a digital preamp. The standard Hugo is DAC only. My budget at the moment is about £2.5k so I guess I need to do more saving.

correction, both the Hugo and the Hugo TT can work as pre amps.

Yes - it is the 2qute which is essentially the Hugo, but without the pre-amp functionality - so just a DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts