The WORST system or component you have heard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I think the Cambridge Audio 840A & 840C combo is complete pants for the money. I've heard much better for much less!

A

Anonymous

Very interesting! What "much better combo" for much less money would you propose?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
My was JBL 1400 ARRAY!

I have own so many sub £2K speakers that will totally out class the £8000 JBL!
[/quote]

Heh heh, I really like the JBLs. Coloured but great fun. Would never buy a pair but I admire them from afar...

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Naim, Linn (especially the LP12), any of Wharfedale's speakers, lightbulbs pretending to be valve amplifiers, Linn again, Nordost cables, and on, the list is a long one.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Hmm, I anticipate a short stay for you in the forums matey, so I'll say hello and goodbye now![/quote]

Why? Is this yet another tunnel visioned, close-minded hifi community? All the more reason to stay and have some fun....

Thanks for the warm welcome, Prof

A

Anonymous

Has to be Sony SS-MS7 speakers, which were bright, to say the least. And the partenering Sony SA-WMS7 subwoofer, would get port chuffing at the very lowest volume setting.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tear Drop"]
[quote user="professorhat"]Hmm, I anticipate a short stay for you in the forums matey, so I'll say hello and goodbye now![/quote] Why? Is this yet another tunnel visioned, close-minded hifi community? All the more reason to stay and have some fun.... Thanks for the warm welcome, Prof
[/quote]

Not at all. Quite open sometimes animated discussions with fetishes such as biscuits, cables, valves and whatever you care to mention.

Problem is with sweeping statements. No problem if you dont agree just try, as I do every so often (but not always) to back it up with a little thought on why you think the way you do. I speak my mind if I feel the need to and like the occasional controversial debate, sometimes to the dislike of certain forum members which (seem) to like themselves as self appointed sheriffs/crusaders of righteousness of this particular one. I dont include professorhat as one of them but you get to know them soon.

Still, its a place of some good knowledge.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I have to say (and in general I'm a fan of Linn kit) that the demo system Linn were using at the '06 S&V show in Bristol was probably the worst 'proper' hifi that I have heard. Detailed, yes, but the top end was fingernails-on-a-blackboard rough...to the point that I had to get up out of my seat and leave the demo!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[[quote user="drummerman"]Problem is with sweeping statements[/quote]

What sweeping statements? And, even so, why would that be a problem? Hmm indeed.

[quote user="drummerman"]back it up with a little thought on why you think the way you do[/quote]

Okay, to answer this one - I know what natural music sounds and FEELS like, and the kit I mentioned is as far from it as I have ever heard, to the point of being so seriously destructive of the music as to make it worthless and devoid of any qualities which it may once have had, which kind of defeats the purpose of 1) Listening to recorded music, and 2) Being interested in so called High Fidelity audio. Fair enough?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tear Drop"]Fair enough?[/quote]

I'm not sure.

I'm a cable sceptic as in that I think certain stuff is overpriced but ...

are you saying for example that by simply using Nordost Cables, never mind the rest of the kit, it is so distructive (they) make music 'worthless and devoid of any qualities which it may once have had' ?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
See you've got some Naim gear, sorry if I offended you. I'm sure you're a nice guy who loves music as much as everyone else here, so don't takes things so personally.

I don't really feel like writing chapter and verse to validate every sentence I write, even if it did ruffle a few feathers. Besides, most of the best stuff I have heard isn't commercially available anyway, and I'm not into 'name dropping' either. And this is getting off topic too, isn't this thread supposed to be about the worst, not the best?

On that note I'll add all CD players to the list (that was a JOKE, c'mon everybody, laugh along with me...).

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]are you saying for example that by simply using Nordost Cables, never mind
the rest of the kit, it is so distructive (they) make music 'worthless and
devoid of any qualities which it may once have had' ? [/quote]

Yes

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tear Drop"]
[quote user="drummerman"]
Ha ha
[/quote] That's better![/quote]

Not if you knew what I think ...
emotion-2.gif

Still, this aint going anywhere so I'll leave you to it.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]this aint going anywhere [/quote]

Where did you want it to go when you initiated this discussion? Sorry I couldn't comply with your wishes, whatever they are.

Don't take yourself so seriously, there are already too many people like that in the hifi community, and they suck.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tear Drop"]See you've got some Naim gear, sorry if I offended you. [/quote]

No, not at all, unless it's (very) personal I find it difficult to get offended by comments about hifi. I was just curious as to what you thought was decent.

If most of the kit you think of as hi-fi isn't commercially available though, then I'm failing to see why you would be interested in posting on a consumer-focussed site...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tear Drop"][[quote user="drummerman"]Problem is with sweeping statements[/quote]

What sweeping statements? And, even so, why would that be a problem? Hmm indeed.

[quote user="drummerman"]back it up with a little thought on why you think the way you do[/quote]

Okay, to answer this one - I know what natural music sounds and FEELS like, and the kit I mentioned is as far from it as I have ever heard, to the point of being so seriously destructive of the music as to make it worthless and devoid of any qualities which it may once have had, which kind of defeats the purpose of 1) Listening to recorded music, and 2) Being interested in so called High Fidelity audio. Fair enough?[/quote]

Well, no, actually. Let's have some model numbers.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Drummerman asked me to back it up with a little thought, not a series of specific products. Man this place seems childish...bash a few hifi sacred cows and the mob gets angry, lol

A

Anonymous

OK, so which Wharfedale speakers don't you like? The Diamond 9 or the Super Linton? The Melton, the Denton or the Zaldek?

What is it you don't like about the Sondeck?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]I'm failing to see why you would be interested in posting on a consumer-focussed
site...[/quote]

Well I do own some commercial kit, mainly in my home cinema, but mainly because forums are full of interesting people, interesting discussions and they can be places where you can learn new stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts