The WHF Film Club

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Mary and Max 3 pts

La Antena 2 pts

Waltz With Bashir 1 pt

Ben, I'd recommend Belleville Rendez-Vous if I haven't already, really quirky and highly enjoyable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286244/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thanks and hmmm. I already have it on my lovefilm list but it isn't in the main list and shows as 'limited availability', so I'd probably have to buy it or wait til it's on TV to see it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
strapped for cash said:
Can I ask, what makes Moon a "brilliant film?"

Hopefully the others will have a go at this too, but I'll try to give some sort of answer. Incidentally, have you seen it and if so what are your views?

I think Rockwell's performance stands out.

As you say, science fiction can ask questions about human existence and experience, and Sam's duplication posits questions about what makes us human -- are we only matter, or are we spiritual beings, theologically, and/or through our connections with others? Do our responsibilities to others change depending on how we answer these questions? Science fiction literature and cinema has always thrown up such questions.

The film also engages with themes of solipsism and perception -- if the universe exists only as one perceives it, and this perception is a fiction or construction, is continuation of this fiction preferable to more troubling revelations (red pill or blue pill)? I guess the film has a quasi-political dimension in this regard, and can be read in terms of ideology. (There's philosophical literature in this area, perhaps most notably Baudrillard's discussion of "simulacra," which is often cited in analyses of The Matrix.)

I think the filmmakers invite such interpretations without taking a stance. This is true of much cinema (and indeed much science fiction) -- artistic producers often purposefully craft what we might term "open texts" that leave spaces for audiences/readers to construct their own meanings.

I guess the mildly disappointing thing about Moon, in my view, is that rather than engaging with the above questions in challenging or particularly interesting/original ways, the filmmakers retreat to plot contrivance, which feels a bit like a cop out or sleight of hand. I'm being hypercritical here, however. I enjoyed Moon, and Rockwell's performance, but I didn't think it was a "brilliant film," and I felt a little cheated by the end. Sorry!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

You read my mind Strapped, that's exactly what I was going to say. *biggrin*

Joking aside, I do agree with you. I think I stated before that I thought it was good, and I think I favourably compared it to Gravity at that time, but I also wouldn't agree with the others that it was brilliant.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
You read my mind Strapped, that's exactly what I was going to say. *biggrin*

Joking aside, I do agree with you. I think I stated before that I thought it was good, and I think I favourably compared it to Gravity at that time, but I also wouldn't agree with the others that it was brilliant.

I asked the question because I think we throw around adjectives such as "brilliant" far too casually.

In my opinion, only a small proportion of films can be described as genuinely brilliant; and we do a disservice to truly exceptional works by applying the term too generally.

This isn't only true of cinema. We live in an age of hyperbole, which has much to do with capitalism, though I'll climb down from my soapbox before I get carried away.

For the record, I'm not accusing FC members of hyperbole, though I wanted to pick up on the term "brilliant," which perhaps slips into conversation too easily.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've jus watched My Life As A Dog, and will probably watch it again before the month is out.

I've just stuck 3 Women in to the BDP, not sure if I'll make it through it before I drop off though.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
My votes for the next film:

La Antena - 3 pts

Mary and Max - 1 pt

Waltz with Bashir - 2 pts

BenLaw said:
none is quite as difficult to get your head round as my previous two choices, La Quattro Volte and The Trial.

With hindsight although both films were difficult to understand (especially The Trial ), I found the process of research, in order to try and understand the films, quite interesting.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just Richard left to vote. Antena 8, Mary 6, Bashir 4. I think.

Didnt watch 3 Women in the end, but now watching Neds.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Yes I get that as 9 points each so my casting vote goes to La Antena.

Ordered a used copy from Play.com for £3.55.

How's everyone getting on with watching My Life As A Dog?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

On tonight/tomorrow morning at 1.45am on Film4. Wonderful film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/?ref_=nv_sr_1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
Are there any goats?

"This is your last warning!"

IMG_5211.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Baaaaah!!!

Film club Halloween feature, anyone?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102783/

I endured this at a cult film screening many years back. Seriously, don't buy it at any price.

My money is firmly in my wallet.

I was going to propose this as one of my choices, but I decided against it. Have you seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067630/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I haven't, though there's perhaps space for a series of "cult film" nominations -- i.e. films that are so bad they're good. Revenge of Billy the Kid doesn't qualify. I'm not sure about Psychomania.

It definitely qualifies, it's genuinely one of my all time favourites, and the soundtrack is superb. *smile*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc8bHG4VB2w

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS