The WHF Film Club

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I have seen all of these before, but not for some time now, so I don't mind revisiting any of them. As City Of Lost Children is by the same team as Delicatessen, I'll vote the following:

City Of Lost Children 3points

Bubba Ho-Tep 2 points

AngelA 1point

Nice one, thanks David.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Thanks BBB, I'll try and remember to set it to record, sounds entertaining.

It is, but if you don't like it (and that is a possibility), you should still try and watch Kung Fu Hustle.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
I've watched the film. Now I'm off to slash my wrists.

It's a shame I'm going away this weekend, as it sounds like ideal viewing for a lazy summer's evening. *good*

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Interesting sounding film on film4 at 1.10am tonight: Mr Death: the Rise and Fall (etc)

Having not properly read the description of this documentary, it took an unexpected and riveting turn at half an hour. Absolutely fascinating, reminded me of Capturing the Friedmans, in the way it let the viewer do the work to try and work out the truth at the heart of the scenario, in this case the motives and psyche of the protagonist / subject.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
It certainly sounds like a key point to understand.

Until now, I have interpreted the scene as reinforcing in the mind of the viewer, the initial character of Wiesler, who regarded it as routine behaviour to record any instances of citizens showing humanity, so that they could be monitored in future.

Only after this could his journey to become a decent human being begin - and I associated the short section in the theatre, where Wiesler gazes transfixed by Christas beauty, as the moment where his historical faithfulness to the Party, starts to be corrupted/changed by feelings initially of lust. Only after this point in time, could Wieslers journey begin.

In contrast, you feel that Wieslers journey had already begun.

Strapped, please don't throw any spoilers in, until we have clarified this. :)

I have finally managed to watch the directors commentary on the film. It is very revealing about the background details about the actors, the life in the GDR, and the 5 years of attention to detail that went into creating the script, and then making the film. It seems that two key milestones in Wieslers journey were him reading the book of poetry by Brecht, and then hearing the music being played by Dreyman (which brought tears to Wieslers eyes). Wiesler now realises just how lacking in joy, is his life, and his inevitable journey to reject the darker elements of Stasi doctrine has begun.

John Duncan

All - as you may have noticed I'm finding it difficult to fulfill my commitments here, primarily due to a stressful new assignment. Can I suggest that you try to find a new member who has some time to watch the films? I will continue paying some attention and may watch some of the nominations, but I don't feel as if I can contribute as much as I'd like at the moment.

Sorry :-(

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
All - as you may have noticed I'm finding it difficult to fulfill my commitments here, primarily due to a stressful new assignment. Can I suggest that you try to find a new member who has some time to watch the films? I will continue paying some attention and may watch some of the nominations, but I don't feel as if I can contribute as much as I'd like at the moment.

Hello JD - I'm sorry to hear that your work committments make it difficult to contribute time to the club. I hope that your workload gets less stressful in the near future. I shall miss your contributions to the club.

For all the other club members, we have two decisions to make:

Short term : With 4 out of the 5 votes in for the nominated films, do we go ahead with the winner after 4 votes (The City of Lost Children) or do we wait till a new member has joined the club, and added their votes?

Medium term: We have to recruit a new member. I know several forum members follow this thread, so maybe one of them is interested in joining. Alternatively maybe Strappeds workload has now reduced, and he could rejoin the club.

What are the thoughts of the rest of the club, on the way forward?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
John Duncan said:

Hello JD - I'm sorry to hear that your work committments make it difficult to contribute time to the club. I hope that your workload gets less stressful in the near future. I shall miss your contributions to the club.

For all the other club members, we have two decisions to make:

Short term : With 4 out of the 5 votes in for the nominated films, do we go ahead with the winner after 4 votes (The City of Lost Children) or do we wait till a new member has joined the club, and added their votes?

Medium term: We have to recruit a new member. I know several forum members follow this thread, so maybe one of them is interested in joining. Alternatively maybe Strappeds workload has now reduced, and he could rejoin the club.

What are the thoughts of the rest of the club, on the way forward?

I'd also be sorry to see JD go, because when time has allowed, I think he's been an excellent contributor to the discussions, but I do understand his reasons.

For the short term, I think we should go with the votes cast so far, unless a replacement member can be found within the next week.

If Strapped is available and willing, I think we'd all welcome his return, though I am open to another brand new member also.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Agree with BBB on all that. JD, maybe a relaxation in work commitments will coincide with a membership slot coming free at some point in the future.

Agree about strapped, although I haven't seen him since the hideous new forums were spawned. Otherwise Chebby has posted on here any anyone else lurking can simply post to ask to join. BBB follows the what are you watching thread most closely and could nominate an alternative also.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I've taken a small risk and bought a used copy of The City of Lost Children , from zoverstocks.fr.

If anyone else is interested in buying a used copy, zoverstocks.uk are selling them at £0.74 + postage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00005U1ZE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I've taken a small risk and bought a used copy of The City of Lost Children , from zoverstocks.fr.

If anyone else is interested in buying a used copy, zoverstocks.uk are selling them at £0.74 + postage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00005U1ZE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=U...

I was thinking the same, then just in time, I realised I already owned a copy on the Jeunet/Caro box set, which includes Delicatessen and The Bunker Of The Last Gunshots, and is available for £2.72 + £1.26 postage here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0019GJ40Q/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BenLaw said:
Agree about strapped, although I haven't seen him since the hideous new forums were spawned.

Now you mention it, I don't recall seeing him posting recently either.

He did say he'd be posting less, but as far as I can see, he hasn't posted anything for a couple of weeks. I do hope he's ok.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
He did say he'd be posting less, but as far as I can see, he hasn't posted anything for a couple of weeks. I do hope he's ok.

Hi BBB,

I'm fine, thanks, though busy in all sorts of ways and, like yourself, somewhat disillusioned with the forum of late.

I can't say I'm a fan of the "improved" forum, either. Change isn't always for the better.

Hope you're feeling a little more positive about things generally and the film club thread in particular.

Cheers,

Strapped

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I'm fine, thanks, though busy in all sorts of ways and, like yourself, somewhat disillusioned with the forum of late.

I can't say I'm a fan of the "improved" forum, either.

Strapped, it is good to hear from you again.

Reading between the lines, I get the message that now, is not the appropriate time for you to return to the film club.

I do miss your deep knowledge of films/film making and it's artistic movements. Your posts also helped to "drumbeat" the other club members into thinking about, and then responding to the information contained within.

Assuming that my interpretation of your status is correct, I guess that leaves the club with a vacancy. So if any Forum members are interested in joining, then now is your opportunity to shout up. *biggrin*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS