The WHF Film Club

Page 133 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
That's good news, Mike.

There should be other settings within the menus to have a look at, so can I just check a few more things?

1. Have you ever done the 'YPAO' microphone speaker setup, or did you do it manually?

2. If you did do the 'YPAO', did you run it in several seating positions, or just the one?

3. Presumably you just have one 'Pattern', in 'Configuration', are the speakers set to 'Large'?

4. Also, if you did the 'YPAO', have you checked the 'Distance' settings manually to see if they are accurate?

5. What is your 'Parametric EQ' set to?#

There's also a firmware update available if you haven't done one this year.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=uk.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16445&category_id2=16446&category_id3=&product_id=1672305

Sorry i didn't reply earlier. I never performed YPAO because i was happy with the sound 'out of the box', so i think i will have factory settings.

Even though changing to 2 channel stereo had virtually cleared the issue with the bass on some music tracks, i got tempted by the january sales:

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-centrale/Focal-Aria-CC900.html (in walnut) has just arrived this morning

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-colonne/Focal-Aria-936.html (in walnut) will arrive monday

So hopefully I will soon get to explore the sound settings again.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
according to information on imdb's site the film isn't released in the UK until the end of April so thats probably why theres no dvd/bluray release with english subtitles.

looks interesting, so I've added it to my amazon wish list.

*music2*

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
macdiddy said:
according to information on imdb's site the film isn't released in the UK until the end of April so thats probably why theres no dvd/bluray release with english subtitles.

*music2*

well spotted. *smile*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey, Strapped, thanks for your message and sorry it's taken me so long to reply.
strapped for cash said:
Here's David Simon on the aspect ratio change:

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

I missed the final season on DVD (things got busy and heard it was disappointing), and I've only watched seasons one and two on BD so far, but I'm content with what's been done.

Upping the resolution doesn't harm the aesthetic, and though the framing feels less claustrophobic, I'm not sure I'd return to the DVDs.

Purists be damned on this one. It's just as engrossing; the revised framing is carefully judged and never distracting.

If in doubt, dive in; the water's fine.

Many thanks for that. I honestly never suspected it had been shot on film rather than video, so didn't think it would be possible to increase the resolution. And I'm no purist when it comes to format, especially when the original format (as I always thought) was chosen by bean-counters rather than for artistic reasons. I'll treat myself to a blu-ray set sometime (and hopefully make some of it back by selling the DVDs), although I rewatched them all a few months ago, so I'll wait until I want to watch it all again.

strapped for cash said:
the scarletpronster said:
Don't watch Breaking Bad. Seriously. Just don't watch it. Or if you must, don't watch it with the expectation that it's going to be any good. That was my mistake.
"Greatest show ever" claims are unfounded, but Breaking Bad is always engaging. "Ozymanidias" is among the very best television episodes I've seen. It's stunningly good, and 47 minutes of profound emotional violence earned over five excellent series.

If Breaking Bad has a legitimate claim to greatness it's because the show's quality never dropped.

If approached expecting another Wire, Breaking Bad will likely disappoint. It's a very different show, despite ostensibly comparable subject matter, and it isn't as socially or politically revelant. Narrative events can stray toward the implausible, but there's an emotional and psychological consistency to character actions that helps to cut through this problem. And it's the characters rather than social or political insight that drive viewer investment. I'm more than fine with this.
I'm afraid I disagree with almost all of this. I watched the sodding thing from beginning to end, expecting because of all the plaudits that it must improve at some point. I've always liked Bryan Cranston, and was really pleased he was given chance to take on a properly meaty role, and I think the conceit of the series (mild-mannered chemistry teacher gets cancer and finds a eway to use his chemistry expertise to fund the treatment) is excellent, but the way it was developed, scripted and produced really didn't work for me. I rarely found it engaging. Walter himself veered between whiny and self-pitying and 'nasty/evil' Walter without a great deal of shades of grey, and the rest of them I couldn't abide and wanted to die horribly. The only character I found genuinely interesting was Gus Fring.

I really disliked the way violence was often stylised (using 'cool' music or staging), or played for laughs, and often found this quite objectionable. Idenitical twin assassins in identical shiny suits swinging identical shiny axes in slow-motion with a mariachi soundtrack? The forays into black humour didn't work at all for me, often jarring. Gus Fring straighening his tie in his final scene? And then, like so many other dramas, it lurched from one crisis to another (how many times was one or both of the protagonists moments from death only for another deus to descend ex machina?). I can think of only one moment in The Sopranos, for example, where this happened: when Tony and Johnny Sack were trying to have each other knocked off at the same time.

It was done as 'BIG DRAMA' and laid on too thickly for me, without the sublety that I find truly satisfying in drama. There were one or two good moments, such as what ensues when Walter finds Jessie and his girlfriend monged out in bed, but they were too few and far between, and filled with two many bits I found objectionable, for me to think the series is really any good. But I know I'm in the minority, and most people love this kind of thing. The series I consider the best television drama I have ever seen is Tremé, and most people find that boring. Horses for courses, and I'm afraid I thought Breaking Bad was pretty bad, whatever anyone else says. But we can still be friends!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh gosh, pages of posts since I was last able to look in here.

Are you still discussing Ex Machina? If so, I'll try and join in as I watched it a couple of weeks ago. If you've moved on, please let me know what's current.

Noticed comments about voting – how about nominater gets a casting vote in the case of a tie? I know I'm not properly taking part at the moment, so it's just a suggestion from outside in case it's useful.

I've been trying to put together a list of the films I watched from 2015, and my thoughts on them. I might post it here if I ever get it finished (if I can even remember what I watched!)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Are you still discussing Ex Machina? If so, I'll try and join in as I watched it a couple of weeks ago. If you've moved on, please let me know what's current.

We're moving towards the time when we'll be watching the next film, but have a look through some of the discussion on Ex Machina and see if you've anything to add.

thescarletpronster said:
Noticed comments about voting – how about nominater gets a casting vote in the case of a tie? I know I'm not properly taking part at the moment, so it's just a suggestion from outside in case it's useful.

I've think we've resolved that one, atleast I hope so. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

macdiddy said:

*music2*

It's good, and is perfectly watchable without the English subtitles, and in a weird way, the lack of subtitles may even improve the film.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:

I am still waiting for my copy of the next film to arrive, so feel free to comment on Ex Machina in the interim.

thescarletpronster said:

We were doing that anyway. The difficulty we were having, was that for a while we had only 3 active members, and two voters. This does reduce the number of available permutations of score results, so it became very easy to have a tie. It was beginning to feel like the nominator was needing to use their casting vote each month, so the recent discussions have been aimed at trying to modify the scoring, to reduce the number of ties.

BBB is correct that we have agreed a new vote score structure, so we will try it, and see how we get on for the next few months.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
Sorry i didn't reply earlier. I never performed YPAO because i was happy with the sound 'out of the box', so i think i will have factory settings.

Even though changing to 2 channel stereo had virtually cleared the issue with the bass on some music tracks, i got tempted by the january sales:

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-centrale/Focal-Aria-CC900.html (in walnut) has just arrived this morning

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-colonne/Focal-Aria-936.html (in walnut) will arrive monday

Speakers look good, Mike; will you be moving to a 5 channel sound?

If so, you should definitely use the YPAO then.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:

Speakers look good, Mike; will you be moving to a 5 channel sound?

If so, you should definitely use the YPAO then.

The Focal Aria 900 family (at least the walnut finish) has been reduced by approx 50% by several french hifi retailers in the winter sales, so I presume it is now end-of-line, or an updated version is about to be announced. The other finishes are still full price. I don't know if similar deals are being offered in the UK.

Andrew Everard reviewed the 926 model http://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/ and suggested that the bass response is powerful enough, to remove the need for a subwoofer.

Based on this, my initial plan is to use the focals as my front speakers, and try my existing Monitor Audio Silvers as the rear speakers. So I think that would be either 4 speaker stereo, or 4.1 . If it works ok, I will leave things like that, and only consider getting a subwoofer as a last resort. I also have a spare pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, and a pair of Missions, that could possibly replace the MA Silvers as the rear speakers - so I have a few options that I can play around with.

You are right that I will need to use the YPAO for this new setup.

I still need to order some additional banana plugs to connect everything up, and my existing TV stand is too narrow to accomodate the centre speakers, so I need to get a new TV stand as well, before the overall layout of the speakers will be ready for YPAO.

The experience of watching films, will certainly be changed by this new speaker arrangement - I just hope that it is changed for the better. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
The Focal Aria 900 family (at least the walnut finish) has been reduced by approx 50% by several french hifi retailers in the winter sales, so I presume it is now end-of-line, or an updated version is about to be announced. The other finishes are still full price. I don't know if similar deals are being offered in the UK.

Andrew Everard reviewed the 926 model http://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/ and suggested that the bass response is powerful enough, to remove the need for a subwoofer.

Based on this, my initial plan is to use the focals as my front speakers, and try my existing Monitor Audio Silvers as the rear speakers. So I think that would be either 4 speaker stereo, or 4.1 . If it works ok, I will leave things like that, and only consider getting a subwoofer as a last resort. I also have a spare pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, and a pair of Missions, that could possibly replace the MA Silvers as the rear speakers - so I have a few options that I can play around with.

You are right that I will need to use the YPAO for this new setup.

I still need to order some additional banana plugs to connect everything up, and my existing TV stand is too narrow to accomodate the centre speakers, so I need to get a new TV stand as well, before the overall layout of the speakers will be ready for YPAO.

The experience of watching films, will certainly be changed by this new speaker arrangement - I just hope that it is changed for the better. *biggrin*

The centre speaker will make a big difference for movies, so the sooner you can incorporate it, the better.

I think I said before that I listen to music with multi stereo on the receiver, but just through the main fronts and main rears. You'll be amazed at how much fuller the music sounds through 4 speakers rather than two, so if you listen to it this way, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the sound.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think I said before that I listen to music with multi stereo on the receiver, but just through the main fronts and main rears. You'll be amazed at how much fuller the music sounds through 4 speakers rather than two, so if you listen to it this way, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the sound.

I remembered your comments, and they triggered my curiousity to investigate if there were any deals on good speakers, in the winter sales.

On a separate (but film related) topic, you have mentioned that you will soon be looking at getting a new receiver. Will dolby atmos be a key functionality for you? I watched 3 films at the cinema over christmas, and I found the atmos to be very sensitive to seating position in the cinema (most effective when seated near the centre of the cinema). Also some of the film scenes, did not sound good in surround sound - I was left wondering if the director was determined to use atmos for all the scenes, regardless of whether the full atmos functionality was really needed. This has certainly persuaded me that i have no need to rush out and upgrade to a new atmos capable receiver.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
expat_mike said:
The difficulty we were having, was that for a while we had only 3 active members, and two voters. This does reduce the number of available permutations of score results, so it became very easy to have a tie. It was beginning to feel like the nominator was needing to use their casting vote each month, so the recent discussions have been aimed at trying to modify the scoring, to reduce the number of ties.

Thanks. I will, I promise, try to become more active in the club soon. Not just yet, but hopefully it won't be too much longer.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
I'm afraid I disagree with almost all of this.

Interesting post and you're perfectly entitled to disagree.

I'll nevertheless work to complicate some of your observations. None of this means you'll ultimately change your view. Much of what you say is an expression of preference, with a "realist" filmmaking approach gaining favour over what we might term "classical illusory realism."

These are not perfectly discrete methods, but The Wire adheres more strictly to realist conventions (seemingly natural lighting, eye level camerawork, an absence of non diegetic music, the use of non actors and colloquial language), while Breaking Bad is more stylistically conventional (illusory realism works to smooth over transitions and disguise artifice in a different way).

Viewed objectively, neither approach is innately superior and indeed, at different historical moments, realist and more classical approaches have gained favour with both audiences and critics.

thescarlettpronster said:
I really disliked the way violence was often stylised (using 'cool' music or staging), or played for laughs, and often found this quite objectionable. Idenitical twin assassins in identical shiny suits swinging identical shiny axes in slow-motion with a mariachi soundtrack? The forays into black humour didn't work at all for me, often jarring. Gus Fring straighening his tie in his final scene? And then, like so many other dramas, it lurched from one crisis to another (how many times was one or both of the protagonists moments from death only for another deus to descend ex machina?). I can think of only one moment in The Sopranos, for example, where this happened: when Tony and Johnny Sack were trying to have each other knocked off at the same time.

Viewed through an unremittingly realist lens, Breaking Bad falls short. As we've both said, The Wire sets the televisual standard in this regard. Simon et al. were undoubtedly more ambitious and The Wire is unlike any other show I've seen.

At the same time, Gilligan et al. weren't striving for a realist aesthetic or attempting to reproduce The Wire. Breaking Bad is a different show. At a surface level at least Breaking Bad is more addictive and the writers, producers, cast, etc. worked tirelessly to maintain a sense of psychological realism, even when events turned toward the fantastic and coincidental. This requirement was balanced against a desire to entertain; to keep audiences invested in a show that, in funding terms, almost stalled at the pilot. And Breaking Bad is entertaining.

Nobody lambasts Tarantino for not making realist films and filmmaking approaches can happily coexist. I can enjoy Jackie Brown and La Terra Trema, while taking in Stan Brakhage's Mothlight, without expressing a preference for illusory realist, realist, or experimetal methods. Each can be enjoyed on their own terms.

I'd also argue (as below) that's there's greater nuance in Breaking Bad than you suggest.

thescarlettpronster said:
It was done as 'BIG DRAMA' and laid on too thickly for me, without the sublety that I find truly satisfying in drama. There were one or two good moments, such as what ensues when Walter finds Jessie and his girlfriend monged out in bed, but they were too few and far between, and filled with two many bits I found objectionable, for me to think the series is really any good. But I know I'm in the minority, and most people love this kind of thing. The series I consider the best television drama I have ever seen is Tremé, and most people find that boring. Horses for courses, and I'm afraid I thought Breaking Bad was pretty bad, whatever anyone else says. But we can still be friends!

In many ways I'd agree; but I enjoy big drama as much as I appreciate realist film and TV.

The Wire is an angry statement of the union address that unpacks, in explicit detail, a corrupt system that operates through every level of the politcial hierarchy, while taking in issues as wide ranging yet connected as the education system, the dismantling of the unions, and the media (and now that I've seen season five, I concur that it's hugely disappointing). In The Wire, "all the pieces matter," as we're often reminded.

Gilligan et al. could never replicate this kind of social critique, especially on a network such as AMC, which is different from HBO. Nor did they attempt such painstaking sociological excavation. Breaking Bad nevertheless offers social criticism and character nuance, albeit more obliquely.

Walt's very existence as a screwed over chemistry genuis forced to work two jobs feels pertinent in a post-crash economic milieu, while links between the drug trade and corporate sector (not only Los Pollos Hermanos but also Madrigal) posit questions about the morailty of neoliberal capitalism.

Remember Lydia covering her eyes ("I don't want to see") when exiting the bunker and Gus's "hiding in plain sight" mantra. Each highlights sociopathic capitalist tendencies, while complicating moral and legal distinctions. Does Breaking Bad connect the dots as clearly as as The Wire? Certainly not; but it engages with many of the same issues while compelling a wider audience to pay attention.

As for character nuance, Walt's call to Skyler in "Ozymandias" was remarkable. The mix of emotions and motivations bound up in that scene and its performances paid off five seasons of investment in full. One of the main criticisms of Breaking Bad (and I'd generally agree) is that female characters are underwritten. Again, The Wire bests Breaking Bad on issues of gender and racial representation, by some margin. However, I identified more with Skyler as the show went on (which is strange when so many fans hated the character). Her decisions felt entirely rational to me; and as I say, psychological consistency was central to Breaking Bad's success, even when points of narrative became a little too incredible.

I guess I'm saying that Wire/Breaking Bad comparisons are at least somewhat invalid, because each show's creators set out to do different things, using different methods under different circumstances. Both were tremendously succesful on their own established terms, and our views on both shows fall back in many ways on thematic and stylistic preferences. Hey, if pushed, I'd vote for The Wire, but I'd happily take the Breaking Bad box set to a desert island, too.

And of course we can still be friends!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I remembered your comments, and they triggered my curiousity to investigate if there were any deals on good speakers, in the winter sales.

On a separate (but film related) topic, you have mentioned that you will soon be looking at getting a new receiver. Will dolby atmos be a key functionality for you? I watched 3 films at the cinema over christmas, and I found the atmos to be very sensitive to seating position in the cinema (most effective when seated near the centre of the cinema). Also some of the film scenes, did not sound good in surround sound - I was left wondering if the director was determined to use atmos for all the scenes, regardless of whether the full atmos functionality was really needed. This has certainly persuaded me that i have no need to rush out and upgrade to a new atmos capable receiver.

I'd forgotten I'd mentioned that, and also forgotten I was contemplating changing the receiver. If I remember correctly, it was because my receiver's warranty was running out soon, and I didn't want to get stuck with an expensive repair if something was to go wrong with it. Anyway, I don't think I've given it a minute's thought since I said that, so it's not at the top of my list for upgrades.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If I remember correctly, it was because my receiver's warranty was running out soon, and I didn't want to get stuck with an expensive repair if something was to go wrong with it.

Yes that was the reason you gave. It feels like many new receivers will include atmos functionality, so i was curious as to whether atmos functionality was of interest to you, for your next receiver (whenever that happens).

I am not convinced that atmos always works well in the cinema, so i do wonder if it is just another attempt to get punters to upgrade their domestic kit (just like 3D), only to then discover that they have gained little or no real benefit.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
Yes that was the reason you gave. It feels like many new receivers will include atmos functionality, so i was curious as to whether atmos functionality was of interest to you, for your next receiver (whenever that happens).

I am not convinced that atmos always works well in the cinema, so i do wonder if it is just another attempt to get punters to upgrade their domestic kit (just like 3D), only to then discover that they have gained little or no real benefit.

I think Big Boss is a fan of Atmos, and Simon "R.I.P" Lewis has it too, but I've no real interest in it, my 9.1 set up is overkill enough for my lounge. *smile*

I think you might be right, it's just another way of getting us to part with our hard earned cash, and I know you don't like doing that Mike. *biggrin*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your long and considered response, Strapped. However, you seem to have been replying under a misapprehension.

My criticism of Breaking Bad isn't that it wasn't realist (or realistic) in style. I didn't judge Breaking Bad against The Wire, nor expect it to be like it. Perhaps you got that impression because I mentioned both in my comment title, but that was because I was replying also to your information about the new HD release in a different ratio. Apologies if that caused confusion.

The problem I had was not that I expected Breaking Bad to be similar in tone to The Wire, but that I expected it, because of the immense amount of hype (most of it, it has to be said, by word of mouth) that preceded my viewing of it. I expected it not to be realist, but to be superior to other examples of its type, rather than being (as it is) just another run-of-the-mill, albeing glossy and high budget, over-the-top sensationalist drama.

The one comparison I made in my comment was with The Sopranos, which was a more similar type of drama and therefore a more apt comparison. They were broadly similar in style, being what you call 'classical illusory realism', but, I contend, very different in the way they handled major events, both inner (emotional turmoil or moral dilemmas) and outer (violence, murder etc). I gave some examples of this; you may well disagree with my analysis and my opinions.

In The Sopranos, plot served in the main to service character; in Breaking Bad, it felt the other way around.

I don't know whether that clarification will alter your analysis of my comments.

I do also have criticisms of The Wire, by the way, but they are of the more superficial rather than fundamental aspects. For one thing one of the lead characters, Jimmy McNulty – that archetypal crime-fiction cliché, the intuitive detective genius who refused to play by the rules and was therefore a thorn in the side of his bosses while being also a disaster in his personal/family life – detracted from the series (1 and 5) in which he played a major part. He's much better in series 2, 3 and 4 (the best of The Wire overall) when he is no longer a homicide detective and pulls himself together as a person. The 'serial killer' narrative in series 5 didn't fit The Wire's realist approach at all, and was a major minus point in that final series, although it did serve to make some useful narrative and social points. I also don't find Dominic West particularly convincing in that role (or, indeed, in any role I've seen him in). But these are nowhere near as fundamental of my criticism of the entire approach of the creators of Breaking Bad to drama and entertainment.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I watched The Big Short last night. I am not sure if it has been released yet in the UK, but it includes complex characters, plus much about the dark side of capitalism - so i think that Strapped would find plenty to interest him.

Hey Mike. I watched The Big Short this afternoon.

It's very good, issues of gender representation aside (placing Margot Robbie in a bath to condemn titilating and distracting celebrity culture really doesn't paper over this difficulty).

None of it was revelatory, but I walked out with a better understanding of the relationship between subprime mortgage lending and derivatives and an even stronger conviction that the 2007/8 crash was merely a prelude.

Indeed, we're seemingly on the precipice right now, just eight years later, only this time there are no economic levers left to pull.

Our wise and noble masters already maxxed out on QE and low interest rates. And since the global economy is already propped up by these measures, losses from any future crash must be heaped entirely on the little people.

There's only one other possibility, namely the collapse of the entire system, and since our betters will never allow this, we should brace ourselves, because what happened over the last decade will feel gentle by comparison.

Everyone should see this film, but I imagine very few will. There were only three other people in the screening I attended and that's on the film's opening day, admittedly in the afternoon...

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Hey Mike. I watched The Big Short this afternoon.

It's very good, issues of gender representation aside (placing Margot Robbie in a bath to condemn titilating and distracting celebrity culture really doesn't paper over this difficulty).

Everyone should see this film, but I imagine very few will. There were only three other people in the screening I attended and that's on the film's opening day, admittedly in the afternoon...

Glad you enjoyed it Strapped.

I went to see the film with a friend, and straight after the film, she asked me to try and explain the one element of the film that was confusing her. I explained as best I could, but had to admit that wasn't sure that I had fully understood the same element. Maybe you will have a better understanding.

Near the end of the film Mark Baum is repeatedly asked to sell his short, and take the profit, before the price drops even further - but he keeps refusing. Then suddenly out of the blue, he agrees to sell.

My friend couldn't understand why he suddenly changed his mind. I replied that i thought it may have been linked to the scene, where he finally accepts that he wasn't to blame for his brothers suicide, and then bursts into tears. After that his emotions were released, and he was able to sell.

I am not sure whether I have interpreted things correctly, so it will be interesting if you have any thoughts about this scene.

I agree with Strapped, that it is worth watching the film, whilst it is on release.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Thanks for your long and considered response, Strapped. However, you seem to have been replying under a misapprehension.

I started typing a response then inadvertently deleted what I'd written.

I promise I'll respond in full once I have time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts