The WHF Film Club

Page 127 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I watched Under The Skin last night. I'm not sure how many of you have seen it, but for any of you who don't know it, it's certainly not your usual Scarlett Johansson movie, and it's also a film that will definitely divide opinion, and does.

I enjoyed it.
I was 50/50 on first viewing - loved it on second viewing though. One of those films that you can't really give a potential viewer any idea what it's about without giving anything away!

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I watched Under The Skin last night. I'm not sure how many of you have seen it, but for any of you who don't know it, it's certainly not your usual Scarlett Johansson movie, and it's also a film that will definitely divide opinion, and does.

I enjoyed it.

I have a copy as well, but not watched it yet. I think it needs to be promoted up my list of films to watch.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I enjoyed it.

I have a copy as well, but not watched it yet. I think it needs to be promoted up my list of films to watch.

As I said, Mike, I enjoyed it, but it's quite slow, and there are times when it's quite uncomfortable to watch.

I read online somewhere, where it was described as a future cult classic, and I think they might be right, it definitely has a lot of the ingredients needed.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
I was going to watch The White Ribbon tonight, but I don't mind if the others would prefer it to be November film instead.

Thanks Richard.

If you're ok with it, shall we watch it later in the month?

Of course, if you've now watched it, or are in the process of watching it, I'll make an effort to watch it as soon as possible, and I'm sure Mike will too.

Let us know.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I watched Under The Skin last night.

My favourite film of last year (if Ben's lurking, yeah, I prefered Under the Skin to Ex Machina, though I thought Ex Machina was excellent, too).

Much of the film's meaning is contained in the teardrop, as a statement on the human condition, as Scarlett assumes her replacement role. I've read reviews describing Under the Skin as a Rorschach test, but I think such observations overlook the film's simplicity. The more human Scarlett's character becomes, the more she feels vulnerable, frightened and alone. Observations on sexual politics are intertwined with this wider narrative and character arc.

Oh, and as a further appeal to Ben, I finally got around to watching Breaking Bad; well, most of it, I still have season five to go.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Shall we say, watch The White Ribbon by end of November?

Also, whoever's turn it is to nominate the next film, can they start thinking about their 3 or 4 films, and post them for voting whenever they're ready?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Shall we say, watch The White Ribbon by end of November?

Also, whoever's turn it is to nominate the next film, can they start thinking about their 3 or 4 films, and post them for voting whenever they're ready?

Ok by me.

I presume that it is my turn to nominate next. I am already playing around with ideas for nominations.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I own The White Ribbon on BD, though I think I only watched this once (and some time ago at that).

I'll definitely give it another spin by the end of the month and chip in with a few observations once FC members get the ball rolling.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well, my October Horror Fest has come to an end, and the final tally ended on 69 films! Although, it seems to have spilled over into November as the final week of October I didn't watch as many as I could have, so I'm sort of making up for it during this first week of November... :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I watched White Ribbon tonight - not sure what to make of it really, until I have thought about it a bit more.

On a somewhat similar subject (the end of war as opposed to its origins), Lore is on Channel 4 late tonight. I haven't seen this so I'll definitely record.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I watched White Ribbon tonight - not sure what to make of it really, until I have thought about it a bit more.

Sorry Mike, I missed your post the other day. I haven't got around to watching it yet, as my pigeon brain would forget almost all of the details if I watched it this early in the month. I'll probably watch it sometime in the last week of the month.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks Mike

I'm pretty sure I've seen Calvary, so I'll give that the lowest points.

Ex Machina - 3 pts

Of Gods And Men - 2 pts

Calvalry - 1 pt

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Appologies BBB, as to not being a member of you guys' Film Club... just wanted to say that I had watched the movie 'Ex Machina' the other month there, thought that it was fab, it caught all what I and other would call 'voyers' right in it's track....lol

Good movie, well made too. (imo)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've seen Ex Machina quite recently, it really is a good film. I keep meaning to watch Calvary but have never got round to it. My vote is

Calvary 3

Of Gods & Men 2

Ex Machina 1

So another tie :). Guess it's up to Mike.

im meaning to watch EM again on my pj so wouldn't complain if that turned out to be the choice. I think it deserves some discussion.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know that he had left - i am obviously behind the times. *biggrin*

My choice for next month is ................................................ just teasing. I will give it a few hours, just in case David wants to vote.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
Just looked in for the first time in a little (just before the discussion of continuing it again!) while as I thought the club had more or less finished - I'd be up for it, although maybe from next month, as I'm having an October Horror Fest :)

He did say he'd be back in November, so let's see. I hope so anyway.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Just looked in for the first time in a little (just before the discussion of continuing it again!) while as I thought the club had more or less finished - I'd be up for it, although maybe from next month, as I'm having an October Horror Fest :)

He did say he'd be back in November, so let's see. I hope so anyway.

I will give David a bit more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS