The WHF Film Club

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm glad you're all having a bit of fun at my expense, and as for the remark about sockets, well, I'm shocked.

Anyway, let's hear what you all thought of the film?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
There were a couple of scenes where I didn't know if it was right looking (I'm sure you know the scenes - didn't think that type of thing would be allowed, but I supposed it's Europe

The film is 29 years old now, so I guess it was made in a more innocent time, and of course the time the film was set in was definitely a more innocent time. To be honest, I'd never even thought about those scenes being a problem until I read your comment, and then read some of the reviews of the film on IMDb.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
There were a couple of scenes where I didn't know if it was right looking (I'm sure you know the scenes - didn't think that type of thing would be allowed, but I supposed it's Europe

The film is 29 years old now, so I guess it was made in a more innocent time, and of course the time the film was set in was definitely a more innocent time. To be honest, I'd never even thought about those scenes being a problem until I read your comment, and then read some of the reviews of the film on IMDb.

I did feel initially surprised that we were allowed to see those scenes, but soon concluded that the film was made in more innocent times.

I have wondered about the similarities between Laika, and the lads dog. Both were sent to a place, from which there could be no return for either of them.

Overall I enjoyed the film, much as I enjoyed Elling. I remember BBB describing the gentle style of scandinavian humour, and I am beginning to understand what he meant by that.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't anything profound to say about the film, but I did really enjoy it.

i think to a lesser or greater extent we can all see our own childhoods. The dramas, the triumphs, the funny stories our parents tell.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
I haven't anything profound to say about the film, but I did really enjoy it.

i think to a lesser or greater extent we can all see our own childhoods. The dramas, the triumphs, the funny stories our parents tell.

As I said above, it's really not a film for any in depth discussions, it's just a film to be enjoyed, and in my opinion, more than once.

Did no-one else laugh out loud at the milk drinking scene?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Didn't Airplane do it first ? :)

Was that milk? Anyway, it wasn't done as well, because I can't remember it. I've watched that scene 20 or 30 times, and I still laugh. Must be me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

I did feel initially surprised that we were allowed to see those scenes, but soon concluded that the film was made in more innocent times.

I have wondered about the similarities between Laika, and the lads dog. Both were sent to a place, from which there could be no return for either of them.

Overall I enjoyed the film, much as I enjoyed Elling. I remember BBB describing the gentle style of scandinavian humour, and I am beginning to understand what he meant by that.

I'm not sure if I recommended it to you before, or if you have already seen it, but I would recommend Kitchen Stories, which has very gentle humour, but is another wonderful Scandinavian film.

Edit. Try O'Horten too.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
No. It wasn't milk and not really the same.

I can't say I found it particularly funny but it did highlight some of the weird things that happen to us when were very young and then grow out of.

Like eating your lunch in alphabetical order.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm not sure if I recommended it to you before, or if you have already seen it, but I would recommend Kitchen Stories, which has very gentle humour, but is another wonderful Scandinavian film.

Edit. Try O'Horten too.

I think that you must have recommended Kitchen Stories, because I have just found that I had bookmarked it on YouTube. Nevertheless I have created a new bookmark, for the DVD from Amazon.fr.

I cannot find a copy of O'Horten with english subtitles on Amazon.fr, so that film has to go on the back burner for now.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Edit. Try O'Horten too.

I think that you must have recommended Kitchen Stories, because I have just found that I had bookmarked it on YouTube. Nevertheless I have created a new bookmark, for the DVD from Amazon.fr.

I cannot find a copy of O'Horten with english subtitles on Amazon.fr, so that film has to go on the back burner for now.

I prefer Kitchen Stories anyway.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I do, I'll try to find some time later to post properly. I am today trying to recover from last night's literal piss up in a brewery.

Film4 has a great line up today: Dark Star at 5.10, The Time Traveler's Wife at 6.50, Zombieland at 9, Attack the Block at 10.45 and Re-animator at 2.10.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
I am today trying to recover from last night's literal piss up in a brewery.

Who organised it? And did they do a good job? *biggrin*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS