the weakest link?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have hooked up the following components in a large room (1,000 sq ft): Pioneer A400, Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders, Denon TU-1800DAB. Thought this would be a winning combination. But I find the sound thin and disappointing. I'm using quality connect and decent speaker wire. Is the ageing Pioneer A400 to blame? or DAB? I am puzzled! :?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you've got it all set-up and connected properly - ie in phase etc, it's mostly down to the speakers. They're only tinly little ported 2 way speakers with two tiny 6" mid-bass drivers per channel. These are totally inadequate for your very large room. For a fuller, more involving sound try something with proper sized bass cones. Good quality ones.

The quality from DAB is nothing to write home about either. 2nd hand CD's are really cheap at the moment. I bought about 200 a week ago for £35.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Could you possibly suggest more appropriate speakers? I'm trying to set this system up on the cheap, so probably looking to find something on eBay.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Speakers are a very personal choice as it's not just the sound but the looks that are important to many people.

I have a 450 sq foot listening room. For £500 I prefer my Bozak Symphony speakers to my Linn Isobariks, mainly due to the Isobariks sounding too thin in my room. Trouble is the Bozaks are huge and are rare in the UK (but common enough in the USA). There are lots of other candidates for use in large rooms such as Goodmans Magisters or Kilpsch Cornwalls. Yamaha NS1000's, Celestion Ditton 66's, EV Sentry III's, Altec Model 19's are all fine speakers too, but are likely to stretch your budget beyond £500 unless you can find a scruffy pair.

Do an eBay search for speakers under whatever budget you have, sorted by most expensive first. Then do some Google homework on any that you fancy and buy the best candidate at the right price. At a price you're confident you could re-sell them if you don't like them.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the comments regarding DAB. It's great for a small radio in your bedroom, but the signal bandwith from most staions is just not good enough as a main source for hifi (FM can often be better depending on the station, although of course you may use your current player for that anyway - and if that is the case ignore what follows) so if radio is your main thing then it could these days be far better to look at a cheap streaming/media player option to allow you to access internet radio (and media streamers some have DAB too). In fact, there is currently a very tempting Denon DNP-720AE ex-display at Sevenoaks for £179 which could be a good swap for your current source assuming you have broadband access (although as ever spend more and get more).

In terms of speakers (and these will definately make the biggest difference), I've been happy with my Mordaunt-Short Aviano 8's which are currently £500 new (Richer Sounds), down from £750 when they got the 4 star review here. They should be big enough to fill a large room too. However, as has been said s/h could be your best option - the beauty of looking for floor standers on the likes of ebay is that they are normally buyer collect rather than post due to size, and that will cut down the bidders considerably to those in the local area (often not many). The result is that in my experience it is the componant where you can regularly pick up some serious bargains, although of course you can loose as a seller for youre existing boxes unless you are prepared to offer courier yourself.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the MS Avianos would not be a good choice for round_midnights 1000 sq ft room. Two 6.5" bass cones are too small to stamp their authority on a room that size.

A

Anonymous

If bass response is the problem, could getting a sub woofer help? Or I just need big bass cone woofers?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to go for professional equipment, my recommendation is to go for the best professional equipment. The sort of equipment that radio stations, theatres, cinemas use. Not the sort that pub discos use. For speakers if your aim is the best sound quality for your money in your church hall sized room, go for something like EV Sentry III's, Altec VoTT, Vitavox and not speakers like the ultra-budget Yamaha BR12's.

The best professional equipment can offer outstanding sound quality for the money. Better than the vast majority of domestic equipment.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It is a very large room you are trying to fill. Having said that, with the right speakers I think the A400 might be just about capable - pretty sure I've used mine in similar sized room for parties. That was with a pair of Cerwin Vega VS10s. These speakers are not everyone's cup of tea, but they are awesome room fillers and to my heathen ears they don't sound to bad either. Still using mine with the A400 for party duties.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-CERWIN-VEGA-VS10-FLOORSTANDING-SPEAKERS-/140843207610?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item20cae8cbba

I think £200 might be a bit optimistic, but you could make a lower offer.

If you can find their bigger brothers the VS12 then they will be louder/bigger again.

They will play seriously loud, even via the A400. Great with all sorts of music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I don't need to play loud, but I do want good quality sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts