The weakest link: CA CD5+CA DAC Magic MKII Wharfedale 9.1?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a newbie to the wonderful Hi-Fi world. I have chosen a cost effective way to enter the Hi Fi world: buying second hand equipments because most of the populate second hand devices hold their value quite well in the market. So that I can keep buying and selling without cost me an arm and a leg.

I initially had a Cambridge Audio A5 + Cambridge Audio CD5 + Cambridge Audio DAC Magic MKII and a new pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. But till recently, couldn’t resist the reputation of Roksan amplifier, I bought a 2nd hand Roksan Kandy KA-1. After linked it into the system and removed the CA A5, I noticed that it responses a lot faster, gives better 3D image, but not necessarily sounds a lot better the cheap CA A5. The sound stage doesn’t sound bigger either. Occasionally, when playing some complex music, it can have some not so enjoyable highs.

Other things that I have the systems:
The speaker cable: QED Silver Anniversary XT (Bi-wire) + IXOS banana plugs
RCA cable: Vandenhul The Name
Optical cable: IXOS XHD308

I understand that it is not a well balanced system. Especially the amp is not on the same level as the rest of the system. But which one is the weakest link in the systems at the moment? What is the best upgrade for the next step?

Please give some advices. Many thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The weakest links are the CD player and the speakers. You could look for a used or ex-demo Kandy CD player to match the amp such as this one, or look at some other popular secondhand buys such as Arcams, Cyruses, Marantz KI machines or the like.

An upgrade to the speakers should then be considered a must-have. The Monitor Audio Bronze series is a very good place to start, or you could look at some secondhand B&W DM600s. 602s or 603s would be good choices.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your help.

I am going to keep an eye on any second hand Roksan or Cyrus Cd players. But for speakers, you said that MA Bronze series is a good place to start. Do you think that BR2 can serve the system well or it is too weak in the system then I need a better one?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BR2 would be fine, but if was hunting secondhand and had the space, I'd aim for the B&Ws, some Castle Richmond 3is (there's an ex-display pair here for £279) or speakers at that kind of level.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, great advices. I have managed to get a second hand Cyrus Dad3 with Q24 module fitted within. It sounds great. Very dynamic and detailed.

So my next step is to get a pair of speakers like you suggested. I have found that these two speakers are on sale at the moment. What is your opinions about them?

AE AElite 2, £200 new

Tannoy Sensys DC1 £250

They are on big discount, what about their sound per pound?

A

Anonymous

I actually changed from 9.1s to the Aelite 2's about 12 Months ago. I am very pleased with them. I found the 9.1's a bit harsh at high volumes and lacking a bit in scale. The 2's give a much fuller sound and are easier on the ear. However base is a bit woolly and with the rear base port they need a bit of space, also they are huge for stand mounters!

Go and hear both if you can, then you can make your own mind up.

BTW I have them paired with NAD 352 amp and a 542 CD player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts