The Tuner Question: Rotel RT-06 vs. CA Azur 640T v.2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a tuner in the future, but I'm still undecided. These are two possible options. What are they like sonically, before any demoing? Thanks! Also, does anyone know anything about the Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1000 turntable of 1968?

John Duncan

Sorry, no in answer to the turntable question.

As far as tuners go, I can't get excited about DAB except for kitchen portable purposes, since Freeview offers better bitrates. I'd be inclined to get a good quality FM tuner (a Denon Tu-260L Mk2 from ebay for 40 quid, for example) and a freeview box.

Unless you want to listen to stations which are not available on Freeview of course (Planet Rock, for example) - but they're on the internet..........

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I agree with John here about Dab - the bitrate is so low on most stations (normally 128k MP2 - yes, MP2 not MP3, so inferior coding, and low bitrates) that I wouldn't spend too much on it.

However, Freeview is better, and Sky is better still. Most stations transmit using 192-256k Mpeg2 which is a better codec than MP2/3. I'm actually listening to Classic FM through sky at the moment, and it sounds lovely...

If you don't have sky, the boxes/dishes go for next to nothing on ebay, and fitting one is about a 1/2hr job (excluding running the cable from the dish to the box). You won't need to subscribe to sky to pick up the radio channels - they are FTA (free to air).

A

Anonymous

Thanks John and Mr. Fatboyslimfast!

Denon TU-260L is an option, definitely. I do just want to listen to FM/AM/MW anyhow, so something like that would be great. What about the Azur 340T, perhaps, or a Marantz product (although I find most Japanese equipment [including Denon] a tad tacky and cheap-looking)?

And about the turntable: I don't think it even uses RCA connectors, but rather has B&O terminations. Curious old thing - it even has a suspended chassis and is belt driven. I can't get much information on how it sound with modern equipment on the Internet. The thing is, my grandmother has a 1968 B&O set-up which I will hopefully inherit come the time, and it has always astounded me with its sound (for such an old system). ;-p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts