Rotel RA-04 power amp options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I've read through this thread http://community.whathifi.com/forums/1/165979/ShowThread.aspx about possible upgrades to a Rotel RA-04. I wanted to understand a bit more about power amp compatibility.

My RA-04 is an obvious pairing for the RB-06, the (recently discontinued?) series 06 matching power amp. The other thread talks about the RB-03, which looks like the previous generation. Ebay has a pair at the minute, but I was wondering what the relative benefits of the RB-03 vs RB06 or some of the older 9xx power amps on ebay? Both of the 0x amps are 70W, looking at their specifications there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference other than age.

I think my options are limited to the 03 and the 06, but perhaps there are others? Are these worth the money, or will I see little benefit? I could run them as pre / power amp or bi-amp which would add another 60 odd in speaker cables.

Music is a mixture from Fleet Foxes to Telepathe, White Stripes, MGMT and bass heavy stuff from Warp plus some classical and jazz. Source is mainly lossless rips via iTunes from my macbook.

I'm happy with my BR2s and the Rotel for the moment. I'm really wondering if chasing this cheap power amp upgrade is worth it or if I should get a DAC instead. I am buying a iBasso D10 for portable use and we are moving towards the end of the year, so might be getting a whole other system at that point, as we'll have a much bigger room too.

hence the question, would 100-150 odd quid spent on a matching power amp for the RA-04 be money well spent?

thanks Gavin

A

Anonymous

03 and 06 are basically the same unit. It will definitely improve the sound giving you more bass control and clarity in the mids. Whether you pre/power or biamp is up to you but there's always the option to move to a better pre in future. Having upgraded from an RA-03 used as a pre, I can confirm that the biggest weakness of the amp range is the preamp circuitry. The midrange suffers a little.

A

Anonymous

Thanks igglebert

The 03 and 06 seemed identical from the spec sheets.

If I changed pre amp what could I match the newer power amp with?

eg could I use a pre/dac from another manufacturer ?

A

Anonymous

I guess it depends on budget, requirements, etc. What about the bargain Beresford TC-7520? Pre and DAC and headphone amp...

...but the power with the RA04 will be very nice anyway
emotion-1.gif

Linn is the best:Rotel is good value for money. So why not.

Like Arcam Rotel tend to flourish when bi-amped to a power amp. Definitely, yes.

A few years ago I heard the RA-03 bi-amped and it sounded really impressive. The only snag is, by going that route, you might need to upgrade other components.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your help all

It is tempting, as it is only 100 odd pounds.

When we move I'll look at a new system, once we refurbish the house.

So I think this will become a second system for my study, if I can swing that...

It is still lovely to be able to listen to my music sounding clear and loud,

I spend too much of my day with headphones on

A

Anonymous

igglebert:. What about the bargain Beresford TC-7520? Pre and DAC and headphone amp......but the power with the RA04 will be very nice anyway
emotion-1.gif

The TC-7520 with LM4562NA op amp rolling looks like a great option. I'd sort of vaguely noticed there was a new Beresford DAC.

I'll see if ebay is kind to me with that power amp

thanks

TRENDING THREADS