The strangest, least accessible music in your collection?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Damon Albarn's Monkey Journey To The West. Biggest load of tosh ever. btw trout mask replica - a classic of the genre!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
blackholesun said:
Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese

I bought it because Les Claypool is a renowned bass player and I thought I would enjoy his music. I don't.

What, not even Tommy The Cat? That's in my top ten favourite tracks of all time (six-string fretless slap bass, awesome)! John The Fisherman's pretty damn cool as well.

Primus are responsible for the South Park theme tune if anyone's wondering, I recently re-discovered a single of theirs I'd bought and never listened to, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Wynona's Big Brown Beaver.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
for instance:

Mira Calix - One on One

Geez'n Gosh - Nobody Knows

Plastikman - Consumed

Godspeed you! black emperor - Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven

and I love'em
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

You can't beat a bit of Godspeed. Two of the best gigs I've ever been to. The "Gathering Storm" section of the first disc on LYSFLATH is sublime!

[edit] Sorry, three of the best gigs I've ever been to!

idc

Minimalism is pretty strange, Steve Reich, Terry Reily, less so Philip Glass.

A large part of post/math rock is the same, as is a good part of the Nordic Prog Rock scene.

In fact a large chunk of my music is strange and inaccessible.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
for instance:

Mira Calix - One on One

Plastikman - Consumed

and I love'em
smiley-cool.gif

I heard the title track of Consumed on Radio 3's Late Junction years ago and bought the CD as a result . I consider it almost easy listening compared with some of the other stuff I have. In fact I'm bopping along to it now .

Nick

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
proffski said:
Stockhausen and Steve Reich... not music but rather irritating random collection of noise!

I would have to argue with you about grouping Stockhausen and Reich together . Stockhausen is all that you say he is but Reich has composed some really rather catchy tunes in his time which you could whistle along with , if you were of a mind to do so !

Nick

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
proffski said:
Stockhausen and Steve Reich... not music but rather irritating random collection of noise!

Don't want to get too heavy in this thread but you really can't compare Reich to Stockhausen (apart from you find them both unlistenable, which is fair enough). Stockhausen is pretty, er, difficult, but Reich is really quite accessible, as the music structure is supremely simple and very meditative. I'd recommend 'Four Organs' (titter ye not) an early work where the four organ sounds really spread out and evolve. The Floyd and the Soft Machine got a lot from Reich (and Riley)...

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
for instance:

Mira Calix - One on One

Plastikman - Consumed

and I love'em
smiley-cool.gif
I heard the title track of Consumed on Radio 3's Late Junction years ago and bought the CD as a result . I consider it almost easy listening compared with some of the other stuff I have. In fact I'm bopping along to it now . Nick

hello to another Plastikman's fan!

I too find this album very listenable. in fact it's one of my favourite night time albums. when I was writing my picks I thought it'll be in place to choose from a casual listeners' perspective. I think that typical person would find this kind of music to be too "hollow" (due to lack of a better word :)). from my perspective though, there's no strange or unlistenable music in my collection. if there were it wouldn't be my collection, if you get my thinking :)

BTW. maybe you could post some music you would recommend. I'm always open to new inspiration. seeing that we might share musical taste I might find something to my liking.

thx

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
shropshire lad said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
for instance:

Mira Calix - One on One

Plastikman - Consumed

and I love'em
smiley-cool.gif
I heard the title track of Consumed on Radio 3's Late Junction years ago and bought the CD as a result . I consider it almost easy listening compared with some of the other stuff I have. In fact I'm bopping along to it now . Nick

hello to another Plastikman's fan!

I too find this album very listenable. in fact it's one of my favourite night time albums. when I was writing my picks I thought it'll be in place to choose from a casual listeners' perspective. I think that typical person would find this kind of music to be too "hollow" (due to lack of a better word :)). from my perspective though, there's no strange or unlistenable music in my collection. if there were it wouldn't be my collection, if you get my thinking :)

BTW. maybe you could post some music you would recommend. I'm always open to new inspiration. seeing that we might share musical taste I might find something to my liking.

thx

Oldric ,

We mustn't hijack this thread by going off topic but here are a few names to check out if you are not familiar with them :Biosphere , Gas , Global Communication , Jon Hopkins , Ulrich Schnauss ,Eluvium , Trentmoller and my favourite at the moment "Early Water" by Michael Hoenig and Manuel Gottsching ( similar concept the Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians but different instruments ).

Brian Eno's Neroli would be considered pretty strange by many people . There is more silence than music . A definite late night listen .

My wife considers Joanna Newson as being unlistenable ( but what does she know ?) . I call her the Marmite Girl , as you either love her or hate her .

Nick

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
No mention of Drone yet, and in particular anything by Sunn O.

I love Sunn O, and don't find them inaccessible at all. However I have a live Melvins album called Colossus of Destiny which is an hour of synth exprimentation which really shouldn't have seen the light of day (and I'm a huge fan of the band)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
No mention of Drone yet, and in particular anything by Sunn O.

I love Sunn O, and don't find them inaccessible at all. However I have a live Melvins album called Colossus of Destiny which is an hour of synth exprimentation which really shouldn't have seen the light of day (and I'm a huge fan of the band)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
thank you my friend

shropshire lad said:
We mustn't hijack this thread by going off topic

no one's really contributing to this thread anymore so I hope we're not making too much trouble.

as for your suggestions; I was familiar with some names (Trentemoller, Biosphere, Brian Eno) and others were new to me. I like Hopkins, Eluvium, Newson (this girl has voice like Julia from Angus and Julia Stone). really nice music.

here's few more from me for exchange:

Robert Henke - Layering Bhudda

Black Dog - Music for real airports

Mum

for something different: Bat for Lashes, Charlotte Gainsburg.

and in case you still haven't discovered: Sigur Ross and Autechre (Amber is particularly good album).

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Got Bat for Lashes Fur & Gold on my Ipod . Good stuff

Got Sigur Ros Agaetis Byrjun on cd .

Used to listen to Autechre on John Peel Show but never got around to buying any of their stuff . Will have to make concerted effort to get more of all of them .

Will check out the rest you mention .

Another one for you : Johann Johannson , another one from Iceland . Mainly composes orchestral stuff . Good though .

Don't forget Boards of Canada and Plaid .

Nick

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Another one for you : Johann Johannson , another one from Iceland . Mainly composes orchestral stuff . Good though .

Don't forget Boards of Canada and Plaid .

thanx a lot for Johan Johannson! his music is simply beautiful. shame I never discovered him so far. better late than never.

as for Boards of Canada they happen to be one of my favourite electronic music bands. :)

and I think you'd like Owen Pallett (I've got his album "Heartland").

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Most Radiohead..post Ok Computer!

Tin Machine - what was he thinking?

Neil Young / Bob Dylan = brilliance with a dash of absolute tosh thrown in now and then.

A

Anonymous

I,
I'm surpised only one guy has mentioned the Captain. I'm a huge fan BUT, I Trout Mask Replica fairly impenetrable. I've tried over the last 40 years(God is it really that long), to get into it but, nope, I think I'll need to pass on it now. Likewise the Soft Machine. Life's getting too short for that stuff. On a more modern note, I tried PJ Harvey's latest offering and I wish I hadn't. Likewise some of Bjork's Icelandic wailings leave me colder than her homeland's average winter temperature.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts