The speakers that cost £200,000 a pair

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wilson_XLF4.jpg

I think i'll 'pass' on having abstract sculptures of two bored hoodies - with their hands in their pockets - lurking sulkily in the corners of my living room.

(Or were they meant to portray 'Marvin the Paranoid Android' in a typically depressed stance?)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I actually don't mind the looks. This does not mean I'd ever have them in any house of mine, irrespective of cost. Speakers don't have to be that big.
They look especially tasteful in yellow!! :roll:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Just read the news story. Lots of suggestive hyperbolas but apart from the bit about adjustable port not very informative.Sorry, I am a bit sceptical lately.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
So, nobody has heard them and all are scoring cheap points by their looks alone on a Hi-Fi forum? How enlightening!

If you would like to see as to what kind of science and research applies to these magnificent transducers watch all the interviews with Dave Wilson on YouTube. Or if that is too then take some time to read his blurb on their website. Looks to me like the "experts" have been on the Russ Andrews snake oil again... with liberal lashings of Peter Belt's Ju Ju Flop!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I would love to compare the XLF's against my favourite speakers. It'd be interesting to find out which I prefered the sound of.

There's every chance that the XLF's sound very good.

A

Anonymous

proffski said:
So, nobody has heard them and all are scoring cheap points by their looks alone on a Hi-Fi forum? How enlightening!

If you would like to see as to what kind of science and research applies to these magnificent transducers watch all the interviews with Dave Wilson on YouTube. Or if that is too then take some time to read his blurb on their website. Looks to me like the "experts" have been on the Russ Andrews snake oil again... with liberal lashings of Peter Belt's Ju Ju Flop!
It doesn't matter how good they might be, they'll still look ridiculous.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
200k for a *passive*?!?!

Why are you so shocked? Is there something wrong with passives? You're posts in this thread seem unduly negative.

To fully appreciate these monstrous speakers would you require an equally sizeable (and expensive) amplifier?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
if they're the ones I'm thinking of, a friend of my father-in-law has a pair. I was invited over for a listen in Jan. (visual) first impression was "vintage arcade machine". I wasn't sure they were speakers or something else.

then he fired them up.

They are, quite simply, something else. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. You could listen to them all day and still be annoyed that you had to turn them off at bedtime (okay, turn the amp off - these bluddy passive speakers, eh?).

Absolutely stunning, but they made me hate my own system for quite some time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts