The speaker quest continues...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Done some speaker auditioning last week, and this is where I got by now:

Intrigued by JMacMan's posts on active speakers (and B&O in particular), I made an appointment in the nearby B&O shop for an audition of the BeoLab 9s. Very kind and helpful dealer. Music was played through a BeoSound 5 Encore streamer (FLAC from a USB-stick). The speakers happened to be installed really close to each other (some 60(!) cm between them), next to the wall, with all wires tidily hidden, so that they could not be repositioned ( :roll:). We listened as was. The sound was very clear, crisp - analytical, I dare say - but the bass was muddy. Did the 500 W ICEpower amp lose its grip on the woofer? Don’t think so. The problem was more likely due to the terrible acoustics (all concrete, plaster, glass, with a suspended wooden floor... Why do they do that in hi-fi shops?). No soundstage worth mentioning, I suppose because of the small distance between the speakers.

When I discussed my objections with the dealer, he had an unexpected proposal (did I mention he was kind and helpful? :clap: ). He happens to live really close to me, and invited me to his place, to listen to his BeoLab 5s in better circumstances. I’ m not sure I want to take the risk to listen to the 5s, afraid I might really like them (but can’t afford them). But then again, it may give an impression of what the 9s are capable of in a well treated room. I think I might just give it a go!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you should definitely go for it
evil.png
............and then report back. :read:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The next morning I left for Antwerp. I would finally hear the Magnepan 1.7s and the Golden Ear Triton Twos. I asked the dealer to also have a pair of Living Voice Auditorium IIs ready. Electronics were a Njoe Tjoeb CD player and a Mastersound tube amp. We started with the Maggies; they sounded just brilliant! Very open and dynamic. In “On the Sunny Side of the Street”, Joshua Redman’s sax sounded like a real instrument. In Shelby Lynne’s “Just a Little Lovin’”, I could hear the guitar strings rubbing over the frets. The bass was solid; maybe the position of the listening seat – next to the back wall – helped a bit here, but I didn’t feel in need of a sub. Percussion (e.g. in “Sunrise in Montreal” by Rabih Abou Khalil) was fast and taut, dynamic, very realistic.

Next were the Living Voices. Straight after the Maggies, they sounded hard and boxed. The ‘real instruments’ illusion was gone. I might have liked them on their own, but they just couldn’t stand the comparison. Next!

When after that, the Tritons were installed, I felt excited. Their looks are plain, but I would finally hear what the fuss was all about… Did I expect too much? The saxophone sounded like a ‘CD of a saxophone, played through a hifi-system’, nowhere near what the Magnepans did. Trebles were harsh, bass was boomy (a little better after dimming the bass output on the speakers), drivers didn’t sound integrated. “Yeah, they come straight out of the box, haven’t had any running in yet at all.”, the dealer commented. :doh: That did explain a lot, of course… Now, you should know that my first appointment (couple of months ago), he had plainly forgotten. So I didn’t hear anything I had asked for then. The second time, I got smarter. I sent him a mail a couple of days in advance. Answer: “Oh, forgot to tell you! I just sold my Tritons. Ordered them again. We should schedule a new session”. And now this! After a 1.5 hours drive! :shame: As he’s the only Golden Ear dealer around, I think I’ll just forget the Tritons, and move on.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
If you have the space and the wallet for the Maggies I wouldn't hesitate. Have heard several incarnations over the decades and always awesome. Great with a capital G!

Well that's the plan, basically... The space might be a problem, but a pair of MG12s should fit. More on those later...

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
If you have the space and the wallet for the Maggies I wouldn't hesitate. Have heard several incarnations over the decades and always awesome. Great with a capital G!

Yup, if you have the room, then the maggies are the best I have heard so far, going by what the MMG's did.

Acoustic and vocals was their speciality, maybe sound a little thin with rock music. Electronic music is just devine!

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi all,

Intrigued by JMacMan's posts on active speakers (and B&O in particular), I made an appointment in the nearby B&O shop for an audition of the BeoLab 9s. Very kind and helpful dealer. Music was played through a BeoSound 5 Encore streamer (FLAC from a USB-stick). The speakers happened to be installed really close to each other (some 60(!) cm between them), next to the wall, with all wires tidily hidden, so that they could not be repositioned ( :roll:). We listened as was. The sound was very clear, crisp - analytical, I dare say - but the bass was muddy. Did the 500 W ICEpower amp lose its grip on the woofer? Don’t think so. The problem was more likely due to the terrible acoustics (all concrete, plaster, glass, with a suspended wooden floor... Why do they do that in hi-fi shops?). No soundstage worth mentioning, I suppose because of the small distance between the speakers.

When I discussed my objections with the dealer, he had an unexpected proposal (did I mention he was kind and helpful? :clap: ). He happens to live really close to me, and invited me to his place, to listen to his BeoLab 5s in better circumstances. I’ m not sure I want to take the risk to listen to the 5s, afraid I might really like them (but can’t afford them). But then again, it may give an impression of what the 9s are capable of in a well treated room. I think I might just give it a go!

Good on you for having an open mind and going and having a listen!

B&O usually gets written off by audiophiles as lifestyle systems for the rich and ignorant - I know that's what I thought of them when I was fully paid up Naimee and caught up in the whole Flat Earth, 'PRaT' marketing thing at the time.

It's amazing what you do hear though, when you're willing to open you're mind and put aside (as much as we all can) preconceived notions, ideas and of course biases. I eventually found ES Sony to better my then Naim system (all carefully choosen and bought new) in musical terms overall, and put my money where my mouth was by selling off the Naim at a considerable loss.

The situation you desribe re setup is not that unusual unfortunately. B&O don't market to audiophiles, and I've also come across situations where the speakers were within 60 or so cm of each other, and close to a wall, so (very) nearfield listening was the best one could manage under the circumstances.

I've listened to Lab 9's (usually just short 20 minute or so demos) at a number of different dealerships, including interstate, and found that like any HiFi speaker, poor setup re room placement usually results in a poor sound - ultimately one can't break the rules of physics as regards the effects of boundaries, hard reflective surfaces in rooms etc.

Indeed, there are at least three owners of Beolab 9's I'm aware of, who very much favour ultra modern, minimalist interiors, with bare polished flloorboards, lots of ceiling to floor glass, and bare, hard walls etc, and have resorted to altering the potentiometer settings for the drivers from factory default, to attenutate the treble output, as they feel it is too bright. I've also read of Lab 5 owners putting slate slabs under the speakers when placed upon suspended wooden floors with a cavity underneath, as the big 15" downward firing bass driver can apparently drive such spaces quite well, if measures aren't taken to de-couple it from the floor...

Well, B&O design and calibrate all their speakers using the cube, along with individually calibrating and testing each speaker as it is built to give the flattest amplitude and frequency response possible given the design compromises (which all speakers have) and like any speaker built to be as transparent, and accurate as possible, a really bad room can still cause difficulties - as I say, you can't break the laws of physics.

With the Lab 5, the system automatically calculates the bass response in room by means of sweeping tones and a microphone, so as to EQ the bass against inbuilt calibration settings - however from anecdotal comment (rare I must say) some owners have had issues with the aforementioned suspended wooden floors.

In the Case of the Lab 9, there is a environmental position switch for the bass, re 'free' 'wall' or 'corner' - one merely looks at the neat graphic that aB&O supply in the manual as regards placement, and sets the switch accordingly.

However, I'd suggest tthat in the case of both Lab 9's and 5's, whilst you can more or less plonk them anywhere within reason in an acoustically well balanced room, and get good sound, they still respond with careful placement with respect to boundaries in a room, and to a balance of furnishings in a room - ultra bare, minimalist furnishings are likely to cause problems re sound balance for any accurate, neutral and transparent loudspeaker, as are suspended wooden floors for something that has a bass extension capability of -10db @14Hz - that's Velodyne DD15 or JL Audio Fathom dedicated sub territory!

So, I'd try and visit another dealer or two, to get a better picture of how you feel about the Lab 9's - I don't think any speaker, no matter how good, is going to show it's best with a stereo pair only 60cm apart and hard up against a wall.

If you think you might be interested in the Lab 5's, or even if not, but just to get a handle on the sound, (and yes, the Lab 9's sound like a scaled down lab 5) why not take up the dealer on his offer?

I'd pop around with a nice bottle of wine etc, and have a listen - I've found the B&O community to be both remarkably passionate about their B&O kit, but also largely free of audiophile hype and general BS - it's personally one of many reasons that I went to B&O myself - yes I'm interested in audio - but I'm a musician first and foremost, and dislike the whole audiphile 'scene' on many levels, not least the pseudo science, foo, and arguments, of which B&O is largely free thank Goodness!

Lastly, and re your comments about bass - my pair are still relatively new (145 hours on them now) and I am just starting to stretch their legs a little, on the likes of movies etc, and the bass is just superb to my ears. LFE is unbelievable - there's no passive speaker (including the likes of B&W 801's) that I've heard that has the grip, control, slam, punch and drive of these. What I have personally heard that betters them on LFE, is the likes of the Lab 5's, a Velodyne DD15" with motional feedback, and an JL Audio Fathom. Nothing I've heard from so called 'musical' subs such as the REL's etc, or PV1 B&W comes close IMHO.

In fact, the first time my system did it's 'thing' with LFE, I was actually alarmed to the point I feared for the mechanical safety of the drivers - the sound was like very high quality subwoofers, not a HiFi speaker, and I actually visited the dealer to voice my anxieties as I was afraid that even with all the processor settings at factory defaults, that damage may occur due inadvertant overload. Nope, not really - thats' what they're designed to do was the answer in brief. I even had some input from Dr. Geoff Martin on the funtions of the proprietary ABL or Adaptive Bass Linearisation that B&O use, and as to how it is designed to protect the whole system against thermal and mechanical overload, in a manner that would simply not be possible with a conventional separates passive system. When you start to read of the R&D and depth of design detail such as this, you start to realise where the money goes - and for me, they're worth every cent. For the price, I get an fully active 3 way speaker with very high quality drivers, state of the art cabinets, the proprietary ALT lens, 6 channels of amplification, control DSP, and two, high quality stereo subs - all in two stunning 'boxes'.

As regards music (as against movie LFE) I find they have a very monitor like quality. Play solo piano, and the sound is like, well, solo piano. There's no bloom, or excessive warmth in the bass, just clean, pitch accurate bass that sounds like the lower octaves of a piano, perfectly balanced with mid and top end. Similarly with say string quartets, solo classical guitar, full symphony orchestra etc - the bass never feels anything other than perfectly 'real' and natural, both in balance to the rest of the sound. Jazz with string bass and kickdrum also sounds beautifully balanced. But put on some classical pipe organ and prepare to be amazed - they'll shake and pressurise the room and make ornaments 'buzz' - just like a real organ in fact.

I mostly hang out on Beoworld forums, and made a thread about the speakers when I got them - you may find some of the thoughts and comments from others useful perhaps - including some reasons I gave an enquirer re choosing Lab 9's over B&W 803D's (the price competitor here in Australia) and an endeavour to help a new owner with problems of brightness that I mentioned.

Here is a link: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/3915.aspx

In an acoustically well balanced room, (i.e. more or less 'normal') I can't see many people taking an active dislike to the Beolabs really - of course other approaches to HiFi have their appeal as well, such as horns, omnidirectional designs, large panels, open baffle diopoles etc - all have their strenghts and weaknesses, and no doubt in some areas will outperform the Beolabs.

For me personally, I made a decision whilst planning out a new system to take me into the next decade plus, that I would not continue with a passive separates setup, as in a small apartment the clutter of racks to hold the kit, lengthy speaker wires and associated interconnect cables etc, and all the general paraphernalia of HiFi and audiophile obsessions was something I very much wanted to move away from, and return as it were to my musical roots, with a simple, elegant, but very high performance system with stunning looks, and seamless integration into my lifestyle, rather than being expected to fit my lifestyle around it.

As such, I feel that in the main, I have reached that goal, and am immensly satisifed with my Beolab 9's as both a purchase, an outstanding music and AV system, and something that compliments and adds to my life in a manner that no HiFi product I've ever owned before has succeded in doing.

Hope this helps

JMac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for the insight, JMac.

I think a visit to the dealer's home (with the 5s) might give me a better idea on what the 9s are capable of, than a tour of other B&O shops, where the acoustics probably never are acceptable. Most people buy with their eyes, and not with their ears, especially in a shop that also sells TVs, phones and other lifestyle products... So a slim chance of a good demo in a shop imo (compared to that home demo, I mean).

What front end do you use with your 9s? I get the impression B&O works best in a 'closed environment', a one-make-system (somewhat like Apple, if that makes sense). And I don't want to restrict my options here. E.g. I want to combine the main hifi with a Sonos multiroom system; I want to integrate the TV and a BD player; still want to use CDs and a FM tuner; etc.

That's why I'm tempted by the Magnepans with a 'classic' integrated amp...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
The next morning I left for Antwerp. I would finally hear the Magnepan 1.7s and the Golden Ear Triton Twos. I asked the dealer to also have a pair of Living Voice Auditorium IIs ready. Electronics were a Njoe Tjoeb CD player and a Mastersound tube amp. We started with the Maggies; they sounded just brilliant! Very open and dynamic. In “On the Sunny Side of the Street”, Joshua Redman’s sax sounded like a real instrument. In Shelby Lynne’s “Just a Little Lovin’”, I could hear the guitar strings rubbing over the frets. The bass was solid; maybe the position of the listening seat – next to the back wall – helped a bit here, but I didn’t feel in need of a sub. Percussion (e.g. in “Sunrise in Montreal” by Rabih Abou Khalil) was fast and taut, dynamic, very realistic.

Next were the Living Voices. Straight after the Maggies, they sounded hard and boxed. The ‘real instruments’ illusion was gone. I might have liked them on their own, but they just couldn’t stand the comparison. Next!

When after that, the Tritons were installed, I felt excited. Their looks are plain, but I would finally hear what the fuss was all about… Did I expect too much? The saxophone sounded like a ‘CD of a saxophone, played through a hifi-system’, nowhere near what the Magnepans did. Trebles were harsh, bass was boomy (a little better after dimming the bass output on the speakers), drivers didn’t sound integrated. “Yeah, they come straight out of the box, haven’t had any running in yet at all.”, the dealer commented. :doh: That did explain a lot, of course… Now, you should know that my first appointment (couple of months ago), he had plainly forgotten. So I didn’t hear anything I had asked for then. The second time, I got smarter. I sent him a mail a couple of days in advance. Answer: “Oh, forgot to tell you! I just sold my Tritons. Ordered them again. We should schedule a new session”. And now this! After a 1.5 hours drive! :shame: As he’s the only Golden Ear dealer around, I think I’ll just forget the Tritons, and move on.

Eric...you should really tell me if you want listen to the Triton properly and I will take care of it...making sure they are properly run. What do you think? I told you already to drop me an email first :)

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
Thanks again for the insight, JMac.

I think a visit to the dealer's home (with the 5s) might give me a better idea on what the 9s are capable of, than a tour of other B&O shops, where the acoustics probably never are acceptable. Most people buy with their eyes, and not with their ears, especially in a shop that also sells TVs, phones and other lifestyle products... So a slim chance of a good demo in a shop imo (compared to that home demo, I mean).

What front end do you use with your 9s? I get the impression B&O works best in a 'closed environment', a one-make-system (somewhat like Apple, if that makes sense). And I don't want to restrict my options here. E.g. I want to combine the main hifi with a Sonos multiroom system; I want to integrate the TV and a BD player; still want to use CDs and a FM tuner; etc.

That's why I'm tempted by the Magnepans with a 'classic' integrated amp...

I think taking up the dealers offer of a listen to his Lab 5's is a very good idea - and I also appreciate your concerns about integration.

Personally, I only have space for one system, to do double duty for both movies and music, and I want both to be to a very high standard of reproduction, and with minimal intrusion into the room.

One of the issues as soon as you start going down that road, is space for subs for movie LFE, and most especially if you dont have a projector, the need for, and placement of, a dedicated, matching centre channel speaker - and most high peformance passive ones tend to be quite large.

I've only recently purchased the Lab 9's new - about five months ago, I was in the market for a new TV, and mindful of how these things might turn out in terms of system builing in the future, I wanted the best picture and sound for my money, without having to make recourse to a sound bar, or integrate the TV with my Hifi, running in phantom mode to get good sound from the telly.

I assessed the top of the line Sony Bravias and Panasonic plasmas, and thought that for general TV viewing there wasn't a lot in it between a B&O V1 and a HX850 Sony Bravia; a slight preference for the plasma technology of the VT50 Pansonic on movies maybe - but only in a fully darkened room, - but for the balance of sound and picture it was the B&O.

Here was not just a TV, but a TV with an fully active speaker array that could offer sound quality far greater than any standalone TV that I've heard, plus do double duty as the centre channel in an AV role, neatly avoiding the issue of where to put a passive centre channel speaker (necessarily large if you want to get the best performance out of them), AND sporting an arguably state of the art surround sound processor built in.

It does a wonderful job as a standalone TV with the sound quality being exceptional - AND you can use it to integrate with other products in the B&O world if you so desire, OR use it as a stand alone solution.

In the initial instance, I used it with a Sony Bluray player for movies and CD, plus an Apple TV3 for for streaming AV content from my Mac.

As regards adding on active speakers, the 'natural' fit is something from B&O's range - which is not to say it's impossible to integrate other products; for example, for the time being I'm using my existing Sony ES amp to drive my Tannoy surrounds via an adaptor cable from the V1, which effectively gives me a variable line out from the processor in the TV, which handles the centre channel duties for movies, along with the Lab 9's for main left and right, and the Sony amp powering the Tannoys for surrounds - all processing being done inside the B&O V1-40.

The beauty of this setup is that I have a combined high quality two channel fully active system for music, and at the press of a button, a high quality surround AV system with high quality active speaker array up front for centre and the main left and rights - and no separate centre channel speaker or subs required, which to me personally makes a huge difference aesthetically and in physical space saving in a 5 x 4 meter apartment living room.

The Lab 9's don't have an onboard DAC; however you could run them from the pre-outs of any good pre-amplifier and/or DAC combination, so they're more flexible in terms of other system integration than what a lot of people think.

I dont' have experience of Sonos, so again if you find you're interested in taking things with the B&O speakers further, a good chat on Beoworld forums should resolve that for you; there are many owners and users of B&O there who integrate their kit with Apple, Sonos, and other third party products etc.

Since getting the Lab 9's, I've started to rip all my CDs to my Mac in ALAC, and stream them to the ATV3 connected to the V1 via HDMI - usually in 'direct' or 'pure' mode for stereo music listening which bypasses the surround sound processing in the V1; it merely acts as a preamp/DAC for the Lab 9's; one mutes the picture/video circuitry of the TV and controls the sound volume as per normal.

There is also a neat BeoRemote app out for the Apple iPad, which allows me to totally control the B&O system; in addition to the Apple remote allowing control of the Apple TV and itunes on the computer, this means I can manage the whole system and have access to my various media libraries from the palm of my hand - similar to the Sonos system I should think.

You may well find that the integration is a bit of an issue for you, and I'd certainly investigate it further if you get serious about the speakers, and you may also well prefer Magnepans - large panels have a sound all of their own - and at the end of the day both are superbly designed, and one is likely to get very high quality results from either.

I know that I'm a little biased as an owner, but I try to be as fair and balanced as I can and look at it from all sides.... I hope this helps in some small way.

Kind regards

JMac

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi all,

Interesting you should say the bass sounded muddy, I happen to feel the same about these speakers, having heard them at Selfridges....I was rather disappointed with my first BnO experience and thought there was better for the money.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Eric...you should really tell me if you want listen to the Triton properly and I will take care of it...making sure they are properly run. What do you think? I told you already to drop me an email first :)

Hi Alex,

I really appreciate your willingness to help me on this! :)

But then again... I asked Francis about the Golden Ears first time in October. Since then I sent him like 10 emails on the topic, and we finally arranged the demo last week. Now I've got a busy life (work, wife + 2 young kids, house under construction, ...), and I really have to schedule my free time very well. So I hope you can understand my disappointment after spending half a day for a demo that shouldn't have occurred in the first place. :(

I'll let it rest a while; we'll see how (if) we get on...

Thanks again for your involvement! See you

Erik

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
shafesk said:
Interesting you should say the bass sounded muddy, I happen to feel the same about these speakers, having heard them at Selfridges....I was rather disappointed with my first BnO experience and thought there was better for the money.

Hi Shafin,

Never been to Selfridges, but I guess the acoustics may have had a role there too. Or do they have proper dedicated listening rooms?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
acalex said:

Hi Alex,

I really appreciate your willingness to help me on this! :)

But then again... I asked Francis about the Golden Ears first time in October. Since then I sent him like 10 emails on the topic, and we finally arranged the demo last week. Now I've got a busy life (work, wife + 2 young kids, house under construction, ...), and I really have to schedule my free time very well. So I hope you can understand my disappointment after spending half a day for a demo that shouldn't have occurred in the first place. :(

I'll let it rest a while; we'll see how (if) we get on...

Thanks again for your involvement! See you

Erik

He agreed to let you try the speakers at your place for two weeks...drop me an email if you want to arrange this. I know it might be painful sometimes but he will aways propose you a solution if you ask him. The problem is that he wants to offer a very personalised service by doing all by himself...it does not work all the time :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
@ JMacMan: OK, I conclude that it's possible to combine the speakers with gear from other brands, but a B&O telly would make things easier (and would make a separate pre-amp redundant). Now let's first see what a proper demo does to me :dance:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
He agreed to let you try the speakers at your place for two weeks...drop me an email if you want to arrange this.

Wow, Alex. You don't beat about the bush! :)

That could have been a great solution, but for now it's not ideal. To begin with, the speakers are for the living room in our new house (which is still under construction), and we don't have space to accomodate the Tritons in our current place. Then I don't have a suitable amplifier yet (should I get Tritons, I would consider a SET-amp). And above all, I'd like to compare them with my other options (like the Maggies for one) - and my aural memory is rather short lived!

So thanks again. I do appreciate your effort! I might find a proper occasion to hear them after all.

Regards

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My quest continues…

Leaving Antwerp, I headed for another dealer, who had the Magnepan MG 12 in demo. He had the new Diapason Neos in too, which he said combined well with Unison’s Simply Italy amplifier. As I love this amp, I asked him to prepare this combo also.

When I got there (thank God for sat-nav!), the shop turned out to be in a house in a quiet street, where the living room had been converted into a (acoustically treated) listening room.

After discussing my needs and expectations over a cup of coffee, the Unison – Diapason combo was ready for take-off. The speakers had arrived just a week ago, and had been playing 24/7 since, so they were somewhat broken in by now. Now do these slender speakers look gorgeous in their walnut veneer, with faceted baffle.

DiapasonNeos.jpg

When starting my music, first thing that struck me was the spacious soundstage, with accurate positioning of the instruments. With their size and drivers (a 18 cm paper cone and a 19 mm silk tweeter), they don’t do rumbling bass, but for acoustic music and jazz, they sounded very enjoyable, with a rich, detailed midrange and nice trebles without harshness. Very easy listening; could have listened for hours without fatigue.

We then switched to the MG12s. These were driven by the Ayre CX7e CDP and AX7e integrated (balanced connection). When we started listening, I couldn’t believe my ears… in a bad way! What was happening? :O It sounded as if the speakers were broken; I first thought the left channel was dead! Joshua Redman’s saxophone sounded thin and harsh. In Shelby Lynne’s “Just a little lovin’”, the bass was very boomy (while I expected it to be on the lean side). The listening seat was nowhere near a back wall; there were Acustica Applicata bass traps in the corners and at the first reflection points. Moving a metre back and forth didn’t help. So not likely the bloated bass was due to room modes. With the stunning sound of the 1.7s in the back of my mind, I was flabbergasted. :wall: What was this?

As I was really late for a meeting already (I would finally arrive an hour late…), I said goodbye and left, baffled.

Anyone any idea what had caused this disappointing presentation? Could it be the Ayre wasn’t up to its job? The specs state 60W into 8 Ohm and 120W into 4 Ohm (which would suggest good current delivery), but Stereophile’s John Atkinson measured 51 and 87 W respectively (at 1% THD). So maybe the amp couldn’t provide the necessary current to get a good grip on the bass? Room modes after all? Any other thoughts on this? :?

PS: I made an appointment for the B&O BeoLab 5s next week. To be continued...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There must be something about the air in Brussels that leads to great speaker quests.... fascinating stuff and goes to show why this hifi lark is a minefield.

I can see how UR and Diapason would make a very enjoyable pairing, and just the sort of thing that would sit happily in my home.

As for your other demo, it's hard to say exactly what went wrong.....but sounds like the amp was struggling. If the dealer knows what he is doing, he shouldn't pair up incompatible amp/speakers............maybe he can shed some light on what went wrong.

In some ways it was a good thing, as you will now be very careful / cautious about matching and placing the Maggies, if they are a contender......almost any speaker can be made sound terrible under the right circumstances.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Friday, I went for the B&O Beolab5 demo, in the dealer's home. He lives just 200 m from us, so I went on foot!

Entering his living room, I saw 4 Lab5s. Two were used as surround speakers for his home cinema :O (so that's what we call 'overkill', right?).

The main speakers were less than ideally positioned: the right speaker was straight in the corner (bare brick walls), the left one close to the wall, next to the opening to the kitchen. The music was again played through a B&O streamer (FLAC files).

Everything sounded really balanced and well controlled, natural. Fine detail was excellent. Dynamics were superb. Integration between the drivers was seamless (it's a 4-way speaker). The bass was ground-shaking when the music asked for it; I never before heard - or rather experienced - Limit to Your Love by James Blake this way!

This superbly balanced performance was possible with the automatic calibration system, built in the speakers. It uses a series of test tones, repeated twice for every speaker, and adapts the signal to the space and position. The calibration starts at the press of a button, and is finished in 5 minutes.

The acoustic lens technology for tweeter and midrange driver provides a very broad 'sweet zone' (which IMO is a real plus for a living room); drawback: no holographic, 3D soundstage; though all instruments were clearly audible in the mix, it was difficult to 'see' them on stage. Thinking of it: this is often not possible in a live performance either...

In conclusion: if the Beolab 5s weren't so eyewateringly expensive, they would make for the most rational set-up imaginable (think Oppo BDP-105 + speakers). You can put them wherever you feel, they are truely full range and have a really broad sweet spot, they have all the power you will ever need, and they look like a sculpture.

But... with all these virtues, they still didn't move me like the Magnepan 1.7s + tube amp (especially with voices and saxophone). So no clear winner yet!

Next chapter: a trip to Holland, to taste two very different options: Audio Note and ADAM Compact. And an Octave tube amp! Coming soon (or not so soon; we'll see when time allows...)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
But... with all these virtues, they still didn't move me like the Magnepan 1.7s + tube amp (especially with voices and saxophone). So no clear winner yet!

Next chapter: a trip to Holland, to taste two very different options: Audio Note and ADAM Compact. And an Octave tube amp! Coming soon (or not so soon; we'll see when time allows...)

Once Tubes get under your skin................................ :shifty:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

Once Tubes get under your skin................................ :shifty:

i know! When I started looking around for a new hifi system, a couple of years ago, I really didn't know where to start. To narrow down my options a little, I decided I would look at solid state amps - no tubes for me! All went well... and then I bumped into the Unisons (first the S6, and then the Simply Italy)....... Resistance is futile! :doh:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
i know! When I started looking around for a new hifi system, a couple of years ago, I really didn't know where to start. To narrow down my options a little, I decided I would look at solid state amps - no tubes for me! All went well... and then I bumped into the Unisons (first the S6, and then the Simply Italy)....... Resistance is futile! :doh:

Wait till you hear the Audio Note. :twisted:

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
Friday, I went for the B&O Beolab5 demo, in the dealer's home. He lives just 200 m from us, so I went on foot!

Entering his living room, I saw 4 Lab5s. Two were used as surround speakers for his home cinema :O (so that's what we call 'overkill', right?).

The main speakers were less than ideally positioned: the right speaker was straight in the corner (bare brick walls), the left one close to the wall, next to the opening to the kitchen. The music was again played through a B&O streamer (FLAC files).

Everything sounded really balanced and well controlled, natural. Fine detail was excellent. Dynamics were superb. Integration between the drivers was seamless (it's a 4-way speaker). The bass was ground-shaking when the music asked for it; I never before heard - or rather experienced - Limit to Your Love by James Blake this way!

This superbly balanced performance was possible with the automatic calibration system, built in the speakers. It uses a series of test tones, repeated twice for every speaker, and adapts the signal to the space and position. The calibration starts at the press of a button, and is finished in 5 minutes.

The acoustic lens technology for tweeter and midrange driver provides a very broad 'sweet zone' (which IMO is a real plus for a living room); drawback: no holographic, 3D soundstage; though all instruments were clearly audible in the mix, it was difficult to 'see' them on stage. Thinking of it: this is often not possible in a live performance either...

In conclusion: if the Beolab 5s weren't so eyewateringly expensive, they would make for the most rational set-up imaginable (think Oppo BDP-105 + speakers). You can put them wherever you feel, they are truely full range and have a really broad sweet spot, they have all the power you will ever need, and they look like a sculpture.

Good on you for going and having a listen to the Lab 5's!

I also very much agree with your summation of them - my only regret with my Lab 9's is that I couldn't quite justify the financial jump to the Lab 5s, but fortunately the 9's give you a very large percentage of the performance of the Lab 5's for less than half the cost - that law of diminishing returns again I'd say in the case of the Lab 5's.

Indeed anecdotal comment from some owners of both 9's and 5's is that in small to medium size rooms there is not a lot of difference in performance between the two; the Lab 5's supposedly very much come into their own in large spaces.

I agree re the lack of holographic 3D imaging - but would merely say that this aspect of HiFi reproduction is largely an artifice created by multiple microphone and spot miking techniques, and arguably heard at it's best on high quality headphones.

Personally, as a classical musician, I would like my speakers to do more than simply give me a large headphone presentation, and find the Lab 9's/5's give me very much the concert hall experience in classical performance, and natural spatial perspectives on solo or ensemble acoustic instruments as heard in real life, as against a mulit miked recording.

My local dealer, an ex audiophile, has three pairs of Lab 5's in his home for a 7.1 AV setup complete with projector. It might seem like overkill, however Dolby specs call for all channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 home cinema setup to be fully matched, and capable of 105db peaks per channel, all channels driven, and the LFE channel, being mono, needs another 10db on top of that for balance - so 115db peaks. All of this is within the capabilities of Lab 5's, - but very few speakers in the commercial arena outside of professional models, - as they are capable of continuous 108db with peaks to 120db.

As you say, a very rational choice - if you want one of the best setups going for a combined music and movie role, they're difficult to beat on sound quality grounds without spending a helluva lot more money.

Panels of course have a very different presentation, and once heard, can be difficult to drag oneself away from, and I can well imagine someone being so enamoured of them that nothing else will do.

I had the option of getting some rather rare and exclusive Nakamichi hybrid electrostatics brand new - 2 metre high electrostatic panels, sitting atop a box with twin 8" bass drivers, fully active. Amazing transient response and fine detail, and that 3d Holographic soundstage, but I did find the sweet spot was one of barely a few inches, and with a large headphone presentation again; in the end the sheer physical size and need to be placed well away from boundaries being a diopole, mitigated against them for me in a 5 x 4 metre lounge - but my friend who owns them loves them, and I can well understand why.

Will look forward to your reports on your continuing journey - thanks again for an excellent and very fair summation of the Lab 5's.

Kind regards

JMac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts