THE SONY STR-DG820

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now that this seems to be available[superfi online],just wondering if i bought this to partner my ps3,would i be getting hd sound from my blu-rays?

A

Anonymous

hi professorhat,so i take it that the sony can decode hd sound as linear pcm?-and also now that this sony is available,can we assume that they have now fixed the problem regarding the sky hd issue?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sony assures us it does, indeed, have a fix for the Sky HD issue and this receiver. However, unlike with the 2400ES, we've yet to see this fix in action.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there. Yup the Sony can accept the Linear PCM signal (note, there's no decoding here as this is done onboard the PS3 to convert the Dolby / DTS signal to a PCM signal).
Can't comment on the Sky HD issue though - worth checking with the retailer before you buy I'd say.

A

Anonymous

so clare does this problem also occur with the virgin v+box too?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I believe so. But now there's a fix, the Sonys will work with any system that (annoyingly) insists you send sound via optical and picture via HDMI, rather than HDMI for everything...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:I believe so. But now there's a fix, the Sonys will work with any system that (annoyingly) insists you send sound via optical and picture via HDMI, rather than HDMI for everything...

I have been searching high and low and still cannot find the Sony FIX for the STR DG 820 HELP!!!
Do you have a link?
Sony UK don't have one on their support pages!

p.s I am new to this site, how do I see my replies/threads etc

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Sony fix is a factory/service job, so any owners of early samples should contact Sony for it, and any buyers of new models should check the fix has been done. I gather there's an addendum to the manual in the box telling you how to assign digital audio.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

I raised an enquiry with Sony UK asking "Where can I get the firmware fix to the STR-DG820 carried out. I understand that there is an audio fix for the HDMI sound switching when connected to the SKYHD Box." After supplying them with my Address and contact details requested here:

Response (Christopher Morcombe)
09/10/2008 09.58 AM

When i have received this information i will escalate it to my head office who will contact you regarding the matter.

A service agent will be sent out who will update this issue and resolve it.

I received the following reply:

Response (Christopher Morcombe)
13/10/2008 09.30 AM

Dear Mr Finney

Thank you for this information.

You will be contacted via the telephone regarding this matter within the week.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Christopher Morcombe
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM LTD

Sony United Kingdom Limited, a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW
Registered company number: 2422874
Needless to say I am still waiting.

A

Anonymous

I read somewhere that the dealers were just swapping them out for the updated fw model, and sending the originals back to Sony.

It seems the DG820 is not as simple as the 2400ES to update the fw (2400 fw update can be done without opening the cabinet) Although I do not think very many 2400ES'es actual found there way to customers.

I would imagine any reputable dealer would not now sell a non-updated DG820 (he would have no reason to when he can get it changed by sony). They seemed to disappear off the shelves for a few weeks prior to the upgraded model coming back out a couple of weeks ago.

Boo

A

Anonymous

hello .

this is my first post so not sure if it right,

i rang sony customer service to get up date for str dg820, for the sky fix, to which i was told that there are no updates, and if the sound is only stereo over hdmi then it is a fault of sky`s hd box, not the dg820. i only purchased the receiver last saturday from richer sounds in birmingham.so if there is an update where can i sort it?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you bought the receiver as recently as last Saturday, it should be fully loaded with the fix - just remember that you have to connect an optical audio lead from the Sky HD box to the receiver as well as the HDMI cable (this is the same for all receivers, as Sky HD does indeed only carry stereo audio over HDMI).

A

Anonymous

Whilst talking about the 820, I went into Richer Sounds this week and enquired about said box as there was none on display. The salesman said they stocked them but really I should be buying the Onkyo 606 and as evidence handed me a copy of the WHS&V review of the 606. I pointed out that the review of the 820 was equally good and the 606 is priced just too high for me.

When I asked if he had other receivers/amps for under £300 that could accept LPCM he didn't understand the term <sigh>

Looks like superfi is the place to go then.

A

Anonymous

hello

the str dg820 i purchased didn`t have blue dot on the box , plus it didn`t have an update to the manual

just lists the two options on page 74 not four as people say you should have. my options are auto or analog.

is this right?

A

Anonymous

I don't know if what I am going to say has any relevance to the Sky fix but I was in Comet getting a replacement tv and attempted to price match it to Richer Sounds. The manager refused saying that they didn't match to RS as RS do not sell UK models, just European.

I took it with a large handful of salt at the time becuase we know most places on the high street don't know their jacksy from their elbows when it comes to product knowledge.

A

Anonymous

was thinking of getting this amp from richer sounds or the 2400es immently bt is there a way to tell on the box if its had the fw update

A

Anonymous

I have had the sony strdg 820 since the begining of november supplied by super fi and I can confirm

that the sky hd issue has indeed been fixed, There should be a photo copied page with the manual

and a blue dot on the box. It is a very good amp for the price.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to buy a new receiver soon (to replace my old yamaha rxv-430) and I think this one seems like a good choice, as it has lots of features, got nice reviews and the price is right.

However, it seems like it only supports 8 ohm speakers according to the specs, and my setup has 4 ohm front speakers and 6 ohm center and rear speakers. Is it possible that this receiver can handle my speakers anyway? The speaker's sensitivity is 93 db.

I read another review where it looked like they had tested it in 4 ohms with decent results, but I'm not sure if I'm my interpretation of their review is correct.

If anyone have any experience from using STR-DG820 with 4 ohm speakers, I would be happy to know the result.

TRENDING THREADS