the sony kdl40w4500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

I take delivery of a sony kdl40w4500 on wednesday and have only 2 questions.

1. has anyone experienced any problems with this set, clouding etc

2. what is within my limits regarding dead pixels clouding etc? i have a 5 year guarantee from john lewis so would all this be covered in that? and is it within my rights if im not perfectly happy?

thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
thehoss:

Hello all

I take delivery of a sony kdl40w4500 on wednesday and have only 2 questions.

1. has anyone experienced any problems with this set, clouding etc

2. what is within my limits regarding dead pixels clouding etc? i have a 5 year guarantee from john lewis so would all this be covered in that? and is it within my rights if im not perfectly happy?

thanks

I remember when I bought my screen a year ago there were similar scaremonger stories. I've never had a problem and my LCD gives me stunning performance. If you get clouding etc., it is a faulty unit so send it back.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Gerrardasnails - if you have any issues, send it back.

I'm in the process of finding the best deal on the very same set for my dear Dad (if you think Sony do press deals, you'd be very wrong!), and he's happier with a five-year warranty, so I think we may be taking the JL route, too.

A

Anonymous

Hi, have just purchased a KDL40W4500 from Comet, I have a white/grey clouding problem in patches in corners and edges of the screen, plus i'm getting a juttering/ghosting effect (specially in sd), i have Sky HD and PS3 plugged in via HDMI and Tacima main conditioner, have tried different HDMI leads (QED/Sony/Standard sky), not a problem with the leads.

I have noticed Comets versions are all black and everywhere else they seem to have a silver strip on them, anyone know why?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Firstly send the set back. I'm sure you're aware there have been numerous quality control issues with the recent Sony sets, the net is littered with threads about clouding, bleeding etc. etc and to be honest, it isn't good enough.

Sometimes retailers sell 'exclusive' models with different finishes. The sets are identical internally. Some retailers also sell different model numbers that are exclusve to their chain eg. 82 series Panasonic. I have no idea why, maybe it's so they don't have to price match a competitor.

A

Anonymous

Have been on the phone to Comet, and they are happy to replace the set, they just asked to print off some forum pages off to confirm this a real problem, so they can investigate further, turned the set on this morning and played I AM Legend through PS3, and the picture is awfull, has bad ghosting, like the picture can't keep up aswell as the backlight bleeding.

Going to Comet for replacement set......Will let update on how the new set goes

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
thehoss:

has anyone experienced any problems with this set, clouding etc

Hi. At first I thought you were taking the p*ss, considering all the discussion on this forum about clouding on Sony LCDs!

I have one of these televisions, and although I can see some clouding when there's no input, in a darkened room, in normal use it's not a problem provided you set it up properly (e.g. backlight to minimum, contrast & brightness set correclty etc).

Motion handling is superb (with MotionFlow set to minimum), even with SD signals.

If you're unhappy, I believe John Lewis have a 28 day return period (in addition to the warranty).

TRENDING THREADS