The right to return?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a Sony KDL40V3000 but am not happy with the motion handling. I have rung the shop that I bought it from and they have advised me that they don't take returns unless the TV is faulty. I literally bought the TV yesterday. Is this illegal? I'm sure that consumers have 7 days to return an item for any reason, even if it is just that they have changed their mind....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Click here to the offical Govt website on consumer rights.

You've got a 7-day cooling period if you ordered the item online/via mail-order, and otherwise there's this advice on buying of ANY electrical goods that seems to cover your experience:

Your rights

If you have bought an electrical or gas appliance, it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose and as described.

When an item doesn't meet some or all of these conditions:

• If
    you have only used it a few times or haven't had a reasonable
    opportunity to check them, you are probably entitled to a refund for a
    fault or poor description, or alternatively you may request a
    replacement.

A

Anonymous

Oh no - I was thinking of getting the Sony KDL 40D3500 to replace my Panny 37" LCD (which I'm having no luck with). Is it juddering as the reviews seem to be quite positive? Maybe yours is faulty?

A

Anonymous

Plasma has much better motion handling than the majority of LCDs, take alook at some plasmas in the shops and you'll see:)

A

Anonymous

This is an interesting case, because if the TV is not faulty, the retailer and manufacturer will claim that the TV IS fit for purpose. Obviously, if it is faulty, then you are entitled to money back or another set. Did you see a demonstration of the set before you bought it? And did you see fast moving action on SD?

My advice to anyone is do not buy a new TV unless you have seen it on SD. Any retailer who refuses to oblige, you should just walk away. Too many people are buying TV's on the basis of HD content only.

I would go and have a look at Plasma TV's if fast moving action is important to you. Ask if you can swap for a Plasma TV.

A

Anonymous

Hi Interesting case, i purchased a PZ70B to watch Blu Ray Planet earth etc (my partner watches SD) and it does Judder, i was obviously not happy and recieved all sorts of abuse when i suggested it does not output true 24 FPS, the salesman at the time asked me what i was looking for in a TV and i explained Blu Ray was my main requirement he said the PZ70 is THE TV, when i went in to the shop i had no idea but after these issues and reading Wikepedia and these forums i am certainly more aware than the sales guys at Comet, i feel i was pointed in the wrong direction.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="enverity1"] the salesman at the time asked me what i was looking for in a TV .[/quote]

Well, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, makes the tea and takes the dog for a walk.
emotion-5.gif

How about a decent picture.

A

Anonymous

Have had some good news, Comet have agreed to allow me to swap/upgrade in this case to a Panny PZ85 and will give me full refund on PZ70 just waiting now for Comet prices

A

Anonymous

Good news there enverity1, especially as the words 'Comet have agreed' are not heard that often! :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thinking about this, it also ups the case for actually buying things like this online (if you're going to buy blind without a demo). With the 7 day cooling off period, if you're not happy with it, you can return it for a full refund no questions asked. Okay, no doubt some sort of shipping charge comes into this, but at least you're only wasting tens of pounds instead of potentially thousands of pounds.

A

Anonymous

I bought the TV from a shop though, does that mean I don't have a 7 day cooling off period?

The place I bought it from seemed really nice when I was giving them my money, but as soon a I rang them up and told them that I'd been misinformed about the 100hz they basically called me a liar.

They did demo the TV to me in the shop but only form an HD source. They only showed me the usual footage of nice landscapes and stuff on the TV and when there was a panning shot there was no judder at all.

The problem I am getting is on fast moving sports (football), particularly FIFA on my 360, it's not that noticeable to your average joe but I'm quite particular about these things and am disappointed with the performance considering it's not one of the cheaper models.

The bloke form the shop suggested I take the picture off of vivid and play around with the settings and although it does help slightly in my opinion it's still not that good.

A

Anonymous

In my opinion, and many on here, plasma is much better than LCD for moving action. It still is not as good as CRT in my view but, many say it is fine on HD. I would get them to swap it for a Panasonic plasma.

The fact that they did not show you SD pictures should be used to fight your corner. If they are so confident of the quality, why do they only show HD?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="vialli25"]I bought the TV from a shop though, does that mean I don't have a 7 day cooling off period?

The place I bought it from seemed really nice when I was giving them my money, but as soon a I rang them up and told them that I'd been misinformed about the 100hz they basically called me a liar.

They did demo the TV to me in the shop but only form an HD source. They only showed me the usual footage of nice landscapes and stuff on the TV and when there was a panning shot there was no judder at all.

The problem I am getting is on fast moving sports (football), particularly FIFA on my 360, it's not that noticeable to your average joe but I'm quite particular about these things and am disappointed with the performance considering it's not one of the cheaper models.

The bloke form the shop suggested I take the picture off of vivid and play around with the settings and although it does help slightly in my opinion it's still not that good.
[/quote] No, the seven-day cooling-off period only applies to buying anything 'sight unseen'.
I still think you've got a case, though, as that other text in my original reply comes from the general buying advice section of the govt website.

Read it again up top: It clearly says if you don't think you were given chance to see if a product was of the correct quality that you have a right to return it. And you weren't shown the set with sports content....

TRENDING THREADS