The Quad electrostatic review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In the review of " Top 50 Speakers" in the latest edition of What Hi Fi, the reviewer describes the quad electrostatic ESL2905 speakers as being operated by a "magnetic field".

Clearly the reviewer & editor of What Hi Fi has any idea how electrostatic speakers work. Electrostatic speakers operate using electrostatic force and this is not a magnetic force.

Any student with even an GCSE in physics should understand the difference between electromagnetic & electrostatic forces. This does not really inspire confidence in any other technical opinions that are stated in the publication.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
mikelm222 said:
In the review of " Top 50 Speakers" in the latest edition of What Hi Fi, the reviewer describes the quad electrostatic ESL2905 speakers as being operated by a "magnetic field".

Clearly the reviewer & editor of What Hi Fi has any idea how electrostatic speakers work. Electrostatic speakers operate using electrostatic force and this is not a magnetic force.

Any student with even an GCSE in physics should understand the difference between electromagnetic & electrostatic forces. This does not really inspire confidence in any other technical opinions that are stated in the publication.

+1

maybe mumma didn't teach those reviewers not to speak when they don't know what they are talking about.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
mikelm222 said:

Post number one and already putting the boot in.

A

Anonymous

haha, there were a few lines in some of the reviews that made me question the reliability, some of which i suppose are contentious anyway (bi wiring in the tannoy dc6t review for example) however after many years or auditioning i usually take reviews to be a guide only, auditions are the only place you can decide if a speaker is for you. the titles of the awards were the biggest hash for me though. are they seriously suggesting the the most analytical floorstander that money can buy is a 1900 quid box from spendor? having not heard them i cant comment but i find it hard to believe to be honest.

still was a good read on the beach and glad to see the ovators made press.

d

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, I do not have a GSE in engineering of any sort. I have been a victim of many 'know it alls' here in this forum who have argued my recommendations based on what they call science. Truth is they might have been speaking utter bull and I couldn't have been any wiser. The thing is, I know I am right because its my taste and I don't feel like I need a degree to prove that my choice is the better than the other person's. Most reviewers aren't generally audio engineers, they usually study journalism. I think their jobs do not require it for the most part. What they do require is good ears, the ability to tell kit apart and have years of experience based on which they make recommendations. I think the approach of this thread is wrong and disrespectful to the reviwers. Also, they themselves recommend that you audition kit and say that reviews are just guidelines and that in the right situation a 3 star product maybe better than a 5 star one.

A

Anonymous

I didn't question your recommendations, it was an interesting review and it's fine that your opinions of the sound of the speakers are personal & subjective but when you stated that electrostatic speakers are operated by magnetism you are simply making a factual error. I think many of your readers would expect you to posess at least a rudementary knowledge of that which you review. If this is not the case then perhaps it's best to stick to subjective comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts