Quad QSP Absolute Rubbish

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Id just like to say that just because its made in china does not mean its made to a poor standard.
If kef are made in china and have very good products and quality. Im sure kef manage this and set the standards.

Each company manages how the products are made its just cheaper to make stuff in china.

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Norman you have tried your best to be sarcastic and argumentative from the start of my post and it's just too much, really. So now I'm a racist because I purchased some amps that didn't work and tried to warn others? My view of Quad has nothing to do with xenophobia, it has everything to do with the fact that I had a shocking experience with the brand. Sure I was emotional, wouldn't you be? How would you feel if you paided in full for 3 amps and waited 5 months for them to arrive only to discover they were all broken out of the box? Then they replace them with beat up looking ones? Common man, seriously. As I have mentioned previously, I am not the only person who has experienced problems with Quad amps not working correctly. Andrew you say just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's made to a poor standard, we'll sorry to say this but it is an indication and anyone else who says otherwise simply doesn't know any better. Does some quality hi-fi come out of China? Sure, I purchased two 909 amps towards the end of its run, and even though at that point in time they were using cheaper caps (inserted by the new owners of the company) , the amps still sounded good and I never had any issues with them. You probably own some quality stuff from China and I don't doubt that either. The question is, will the brand you have that's come from China maintain that level of quality (in producing future models). Quad certainly have not and I can't see them recovering from this. Similar malfunctioning issues 2 years apart, something is seriously wrong. As I have mentioned previously, there was a guy a couple of years ago who also purchased faulty Quad amps that had similar issues to mine. I'm 38 years old and I've been in this hobby for 20 years, in all my experience with hi-fi I've never come accross something like this before. Asian people know that products from China are often no good. In the west people either don't know any better or may be scared to voice any real concerns due to political correctness which is nuts. By the way Norman did you notice my username 'quantum88'? The number eight in Chinese culture signifies good luck, but you already knew that right? And one more thing, how many xenophobic people do you know who can make dumplings lol.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
With all your saying and can also agree that cetain forum members take lots of honest comments out of context for their own glory. Theres also some really good guys on here also.

If the products i owned lost there quality due to poor build quality etc id also be p i s s e d. So dont worry what you went through was very c r a p service.

Still a point to maitain is if british or other countries have their products built in china its up to them to maintain the standards.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
China is going through industrialization like the West did over a century ago (one can call it a neo-industrial era for the BRICS countries). Let's remind ourselves what horrid working conditions, financial and social status workers had in the West in that period. How many immigrant workers from China died building America's railroads? Countless. It is what it is, China will get through it. Living standard and middle class is increasing and eventually they will catch up with the most developed countries.

Like I said, this is a socio-political/economic topic and not hi-fi.

As always, buyer beware. Etc. etc.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
By the way Norman did you notice my username 'quantum88'? The number eight in Chinese culture signifies good luck, but you already knew that right? And one more thing, how many xenophobic people do you know who can make dumplings lol.

Alright already, enough – you're more Chinese than anyone in China. Now, how are you going to save Quad?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
If someone is accusing me of being a racist I have the right to defend myself, and will do so regardless of wether someone is saying it to me in the flesh or on an Internet forum. I can't stand racist people and thought of someone labeling me that makes me sick. I love my Asian girlfriend very much, who happens to be from Taiwan, and my best friend growing up when I was a teenager was from Hong Kong.

Methinks he doth...

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
If someone is accusing me of being a racist I have the right to defend myself, and will do so regardless of wether someone is saying it to me in the flesh or on an Internet forum. I can't stand racist people and the thought of someone labeling me that makes me sick. I love my Asian girlfriend very much, who happens to be from Taiwan, and my best friend growing up when I was a teenager was from Hong Kong. You accuse me of saying offensive things? Your the one trying to bully people on forums, a really low act mate. With all your negativity and sarcasm ask yourself is the world a better place because of the way you have acted here, which I think is disgraceful. I was simply trying to share knowledge that can potentially prevent other people going through the same thing

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Quantum88 said:
If someone is accusing me of being a racist I have the right to defend myself, and will do so regardless of wether someone is saying it to me in the flesh or on an Internet forum. I can't stand racist people and thought of someone labeling me that makes me sick. I love my Asian girlfriend very much, who happens to be from Taiwan, and my best friend growing up when I was a teenager was from Hong Kong.

Methinks he doth...

... remind you of a very old, dramatic queen?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Despite Quantum88's repeated assertions that 'something is rotten in the state of' China I will probably still go ahead with a Quad purchase very soon.

Accusations of poor QC have afflicted NAD, Arcam, Rega (all British), Cyrus CD players and goodness only knows who else - regardless of origin - on these forums.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
As chebby has just mentioned, British HiFi has also had big quality issues recently. When I bought my first "decent" amp two years ago, a brio r, I went through about five of them as they were all faulty....mostly an excessive hum through the amp and speakers. In the last year I switched to roksan. I went through five k2bt's as they all had different components in which did effect the sound, though roksan claimed they wouldn't, but they most certainly did. So I moved to a k3, had two of them, and both have been faulty. For me, that's 11 faulty out of 12. Not great stats, and I am left with an unshakable feeling that British HiFi needs to step up its QC. My 11 out of twelve is a higher figure than your three, so I don't think that China is the problem, just mid priced HiFi in general.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Id just like to say that just because its made in china does not mean its made to a poor standard. If kef are made in china and have very good products and quality. Im sure kef manage this and set the standards.

Each company manages how the products are made its just cheaper to make stuff in china.
Exactly. KEF, along with many others like B&W - including IAG - use their own factories, not OEM factories, so do have control over quality. The main problem arises when a UK company approaches an unknown OEM to produce a production run of 'whatever', without ever visiting the factory or overseeing production.

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Exactly. KEF, along with many others like B&W - including IAG - use their own factories, not OEM factories, so do have control over quality. The main problem arises when a UK company approaches an unknown OEM to produce a production run of 'whatever', without ever visiting the factory or overseeing production.

I certainly had a 'main' problem with the Quad amps I received, they were all broken fresh out of the box!

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
I still have my 909 and it still sounds great.
Keep the amp and focus on speakers and room acoustics. A reason to replace it would be power concerns, in which case look at Hypex modules/plates (DIY) or Class D amplifiers (OTS).

Quantum88 said:
I have many speakers, but the ones I was planning to tri amp were my epos m22s.
See which speakers work best in your preferred location, then make adjustments to height and angle to check for improvements. If possible, sell others to fund improving room acoustics.

Quantum88 said:
Now I'll have to consider other brands.
Consider other bands instead. Browse Bandcamp.com

Quantum88 said:
Everyone knows how unreliable Chinese stuff is.
As for the generalisation of an entire country's manufacturing industry, it comes down to the intent of the companies involved - where in their list of priorities they place profit and quality.

TRENDING THREADS