Quad QSP Absolute Rubbish

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
No argument with your 'differences of opinion' version, now you've stopped all the same old accusations we've seen here many, many times (and which always come without any substantiation).

FWIW I often think reviews (both here and elsewhere) are misguided, inept or just plain wrong, but of course they are just opinions, and no substitute for a demonstration.

And AFAICR no-one here has ever offered any credible evidence for the suggestions of corruption and worse stealers and other sales reptiles tend to throw around. ;-)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
Spiny I didn't quite catch the meaning of the first paragraph of your most recent post (the one talking about substantiations.
Simply that these forums are no stranger to accusations of backhanders, bribes and incentives regarding reviews, but to date no-one has come up with a shred of evidence to support such claims.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
Anyhow I had a rotten experience with Quad and I'm completely turned off the brand, it has been bastardized by Chinese.

I totaly believe your bad problem with quad and dont disagree at all but i just wanted to point out that many good brands are built in china for cost reasons but designed in other countries like england, norway etc

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Firstly i probably have more Chinese freinds (from different Asian countires) than you do fingers on both hands, i can speak mandarin and cantonese and my girlfreind is from Taiwan. As for my previous comments about ethics in China, you can ask any Chinese from HK, Singapore, Malaysia ect what they think about the ethical standards in "mainland China" and you'll soon see what im talking about. If you still think i'm a racist you can add me on facebook and see all my asian freinds, pictures of dumplings i hand made and a picture of me posing with Chinese Gong Fu Sifu (Kung Fu master in cantonese) William Cheung (who was affiliated with Bruce Lee in HK prior to him leaving for the states). Secondly, you're really annoying and you never say anything constructive on my thread, so how about you take your negativity elsewhere. How many Chinese freinds do you have idiot?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
How many Chinese freinds do you have idiot?

Lots thanks. And Chinese friends, too.

Quantum88 said:
Firstly i probably have more Chinese freinds (from different Asian countires) than you do fingers on both hands

There you go with those wild, unfounded assumptions again.

Quantum88 said:
you never say anything constructive on my thread

Take a wild guess as to why that might be.

Quantum88 said:
you can add me on facebook and see all my asian freinds, pictures of dumplings i hand made

You made dumplings?? By hand??? Oh, in that case I take it all back. ;-)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
So if Chinese standards are lower for most things, why would this not be the case with hi-fi?

I can't speak for 'most things', but having been to China and visited a number of hi-fi factories there I can say that the quality of manufacturing was as good as in any other country I've visited. Given that many brands (British and otherwise) now manufacture their products in China, I think it's wrong to assume that just because something is manufactured there it will be of low quality.

And let's try and keep things civil on this thread please.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Quantum88 said:
So if Chinese standards are lower for most things, why would this not be the case with hi-fi?

I can't speak for 'most things', but having been to China and visited a number of hi-fi factories there I can say that the quality of manufacturing was as good as in any other country I've visited. Given that many brands (British and otherwise) now manufacture their products in China, I think it's wrong to assume that just because something is manufactured there it will be of low quality.

And let's try and keep things civil on this thread please.

Indeed my Kefs were made in China and are immaculate.

Chris

PS If you are as old as me you may remember that in the 1950s Japan was the country seen as producing cheap and poor quality goods. How times change!

PPS And thinking about it my solid oak bedroom furniture was also made in China and is beautifully put together.

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thankyou Paul. Quad has had numerous production issues with the QSP, and I think it's a real shame. Andy, when Quad went to China, cheaper caps were used in the 909 which was the first step in the wrong direction. Following that, there have been numerous issues with the QSP amps being faulty. I should know because I purchased 3 QSP amps and they were all faulty out of the box (basically they all produced audible distortion comparable to clipping). I also own a 909 and it works perfectly with no audible distortion. In the case of Quad at least, I'm not assuming, I'm speaking from personal experience. If this has happen to Quad, it makes me wonder if this can happen to other brands coming out of China.

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The 909 towards the last few years of it's production was put together in China and it was still a great amp. Unfortunately the level of quality control seems to have come down over time. Personally I think any hi-fi brand coming out of China faces the same fete, potentially. Anyone who has been to China knows what the standards are like and how the ethics are severely lacking. Ask anyone who is in the business world and they will tell you. Did you know that in China when people are injured by an accident, it's very rare for other people to help? A young child was struck by a car a few years ago, and countless people walked past her in the street like she was nothing. Eventually someone stopped, but the girl died in hospital becuase it was too late. I actually cried when i saw that article, and the story was world news at the time. The countries leadership is extremely corrupt and evil, and the people as a generalisation place a very high degree of importance for wealth and money, and very little for ethics and morals. There have also been cases of toxic baby milk ect ect, and tragically babies died from that too. Two weeks ago a woman died tragically when an escalator that was not up to standard gave way under her and she was killed. The point is the standards are not the same in China as they are in western countries. So if Chinese standards are lower for most things, why would this not be the case with hi-fi?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is now politics and a sensitive topic. I'd apreciate if we all stop here. Such things should be discussed, I agree, just not in the hi-fi forum.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
To substantiate my claims previously mentioned by me about the ethical standards in China i am providing a link to a brief article written by distinguished journalist Lijia Zhang.

Few points:
1) It's not brief: it's long, rambling, repetitive and rather muddleheaded

2) As one of the comments says, this is far from a uniquely Chinese problem, but exists in many societies: think Indian street-kids sleeping rough beside railway lines or close to luxury hotels, ignored by passers-by. Society as a whole has become less compassionate (if it ever was) and more self-focused, and foolish law-makers and the 'blame culture' can dissuade some from getting involved. Nothing new? Think of the biblical parable of the Good Samaritan, and the fact that someone coming to another's aid was considered sufficiently noteworthy to be the subject of the story.

3) Conflating your poor experience of some items of electronics with what you see as the ethical torpitude of a nation, and drawing the conclusion 'And that's why all Chinese-made products are rubbish' is pretty poor, not to mention naive. Ever thought of writing for The Grauniad? ;-)

4) Where do you think your beloved Quad, now so poorly served by its new owners (in your opinion) would be without the takeover by the Chang Bros, and the move of manufacturing to Shenzhen? Answer: About as dead as the unfortunate people mentioned in the Guardian piece, while the worldwide consumer electronics industry would merely think to itself 'Oh dear. Oh well' and hurry on about its business.

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree Vladimir, it's just i felt that i was accused of being racist, which is really hurtful, and i felt like i had to defend myself. I felt it best to do that by providing a solid article to substantiate the things i said. Further to that i've tried to share my concerns with with the current state of Quad and from the start i feel like i've been attacked the whole way along. It's really ruined my experience of using this website. All i can say is i would never try to slander someone else's post in the way i feel mine has been. It feels like bullying or something. I consider myself a nice person and i don't need this, so if things don't change i'll consider leaving this site.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Quantum88 said:
It feels like bullying or something.

That's because it is and some people here take any opportunity to make snide comments or attempt to show how clever and/or witty they (think) they are by belittling others. It's easy enough for anyone who may not have the nerve to say boo to a goose in real life to do on an anonymous website.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
How are the standards of ill-informed racism in China? ;-)

That is an extremely strong accusation toward someone who acually provided stats and reasoning. An intelligent person would not have mentioned the initial obvious argument ofvthebposter maybe being racist ( which I don't believe they are) and instead have entered the debate regarding the stats mentioned. Sorry Norman, you come across as a bit dim here. No offence, just not cool to accuse someone of being racist unless you are sure.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
That is an extremely strong accusation toward someone who acually provided stats and reasoning.

Yes, provided after the suggestion was made based on his previous comments about how the Chinese were wrecking the hi-fi industry/destroying the world/all round bad eggs.

Clearly if I had known he had actual pictures of dumplings he had made by hand I wouldn't have suggested any such thing.

And by the way, not bullying, but a dismayed reaction to the kind of xenophobic view of Chinese hi-fi-manufacturing that we have seen many times on this Forum. And which, as Andy C has already said on this thread, is some way from the truth if one goes and sees it for oneself, as I have (though not in the hi-fi industry).

I'm sorry the chap has had a bad experience with his attempts to buy Quad amplifiers, but the way he came in all guns blazing about the iniquities of China gave no hint that he was the delicate, easily bruised little flower he has since revealed himself to be.

Time for me to think 'Oh dear. Oh well', and walk by on the other side of the street from this thread I think.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chris, please stick around if you can, it's always good to have new members with years of experience and various kit.

But to be fair to Norman, you did set yourself up to be shot at. When you are in a reflective mood - please read your posts again and you might agree that your comments reflected rather too much your rage and dissapointment. But adding all the accusations and stuff was a little unnecessary IMO.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
radiorog said:
That is an extremely strong accusation toward someone who acually provided stats and reasoning.

Yes, provided after the suggestion was made based on his previous comments about how the Chinese were wrecking the hi-fi industry/destroying the world/all round bad eggs.

Clearly if I had known he had actual pictures of dumplings he had made by hand I wouldn't have suggested any such thing.

And by the way, not bullying, but a dismayed reaction to the kind of xenophobic view of Chinese hi-fi-manufacturing that we have seen many times on this Forum. And which, as Andy C has already said on this thread, is some way from the truth if one goes and sees it for oneself, as I have (though not in the hi-fi industry).

I'm sorry the chap has had a bad experience with his attempts to buy Quad amplifiers, but the way he came in all guns blazing about the iniquities of China gave no hint that he was the delicate, easily bruised little flower he has since revealed himself to be.

Time for me to think 'Oh dear. Oh well', and walk by on the other side of the street from this thread I think.

No offence meant. You may have some points.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts