The practicalities of demoing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dan Turner:

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, or if there is a particular scarcity of decent dealers near me, but I'm looking for new speakers to go with my Naim SuperNait and having done my research and decided on a number of models to try, I've had a look at where these are distributed and it seems that I might only be able to try 2 or at best 3 models at home.

The models I've decided I would like to try are (in priority order) Neat Momentum 3i, ATC SCM 19, Spendor A6, Proac Response D2, Proac Response D18. It would also be great to try some things at a higher price point - KEF Reference 201/2, B&W 805D.

The problem is that speakers of all things need to be tried at home with your system to see what they're really like. In order to try the ATCs I would have to travel to either Bath or Guildford and take my amp with me (I live in Bournemouth), even if those dealers would let me take a pair on home demo, making trips to bath or Guidford on successive weekends is pretty difficult - if they would even let me keep them for a whole week. It's much the same story with Neat, although If i went to Guidford for a demo at least I wouldn't have to lug my amp to that particular dealer

The only models that I am confident that I can demo at home (as they are available through my one decent local dealer) are the Proac models and the Spendors (which they don't stock, but a sister store does, so they should be able to get them for me).

How do other people manage to demo a decent range of products? Is demoing at home an unrealistic expectation?

I don't like the idea of being constrained by what just one dealer has available, but how are you supposed to invest £2k in a pair of speakers without trying them at home?!

I understand your dilemma, especially as I plan to listen to some ATC products, not available in our area, finances prevailing but I agree that at some point you have narrow it down to a few only. At the same time, if I spend thousands on a system I happily spend two or three weekends shifting stuff forwards and backwards to dealers. Pete at movement has a constantly changing portfolio of good quality products and may be able to get you something he doesnt normally stock on a sale or return basis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts