The pain of using a stereo HiFi for multiple duties

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Following my posts last year (See thread: Audiophile amplifiers with tone controls... do they exist) and the helpful advice from you, I have been using a minidsp for TV duties alongside other sources: Sonos Connect and Min PC for Roon duties. Three sources in all.

I acquired a miniDSP so that I could tweak the sound from the TV digital output. It helped tame down the 'low voices - huge explosions' problem.

Initially a good and versatile solution (that was my conclusion at the previous thread) but over time I have come to a different conclusion: It is a pain. This is due to the multiple switching at both dac and amp, different volume controls and quite a few cables and boxes.

Sonos Connect feeds the power stage of my Rega amp directly for the benefit of controlling the volume through the Sonos app

MiniDSP feeds the Rega Dac and that inturn feeds a line input on the amp. Because the mindsp has a lower voltage output I have to turn the volume up when I switch to TV. Of course I also have to switch the amp input to the Line in as well.

MinPC running Roon Bridge feeds another input of the Rega Dac. The SPDIF interface I use ((M2Tech HiFace 2) is great but as the miniDSP appears to output a lower voltage I have to remember to lower the amp volume when i switch from TV viewing. A few scary moments are inevitable...

All in all, I am getting the job done but all the above switching is a bit of a pain along with the 6 boxes and cables. Needless to say, my family will not go near the setup. They are terrified of the complexity.

I am therefore thinking of ways to simplify with the least music SQ compromise. Some options I am considering:

i) Sonos Soundbase (for TV) + Sonos Connect feeding a power amp directly (for music)

ii) Other brand (e.g. Samsung) Soundbar + Sonos Connect feeding a power amp directly

iii) Full Sonos Setup with a stereo pair of Play 5s + Sonos Playbase

iv) another option that you have used and enjoyed?

Cheers

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Complicated indeed :-(

I am using the nanoDIGI 2x8 which essentially accepts the digital out from the TV. It outtputs digital coax which feeds my Rega Dac R

insider9

Getting a workable setup can be even harder than individual components. I've change my mind a few times myself that lead to equipment changes.

Why are you not sending Sonos and MiniPC via Minidsp as well? It accepts 3 devices to be connected and can output as one to Rega DAC. Or am I missing something?

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
That would have been great but unfortunately the DSP settings I need to apply for the TV sound are detrimental for music. The miniDSP applies the same dsp settings to all inputs unfortunately. The Sonos Connect and Mini PC sound great without any dsp needed and this is why I do not feed them into the miniDSP.

Cheers

insider9

I haven't used Nanodigi but hazard a guess you could set up like this. Using all you digital source via Minidsp.

Option 1
Set profile 1 for music with no or minimal correction. Profile 2 for TV. One Coax to Rega DAC.

Option 2
Use same profile with different correction per output channel. Use Coax 1 output for TV with usual correction and Coax 2 output for music with no or minimal correction.

You can set unused buttons on your Rega remote (either amp or DAC) to change profiles/inputs on Minidsp.

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for the idea and I will definitely check it out. Not sure if the nanodigi will do this but I will go through the manual to find out.

Cheers!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel you pain, YiannisK. Very similar situation here (see sig). It’s acceptaple though, now that I use a Logitech remote for controling everything. Not completely flawless yet, but my 8-year-old daughter can switch the TV on and off herself. I can live with it (despite a hiccup now and then).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts