The Outlaw System Update!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My HC system is now complete, last december bought a Yamaha RX V775, my MA BFX are out of the box (again) and today picked up my central channel, Dynaudio Excite X22.

On my christmas holydays I had to reposition the LCD ( a bit to the left) bought a new rack for all video related stuff, opened up a bit more the space between the dyns, but now I have a pefect triangle and i sit right at the center of the sweet spot... :grin:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
At a first glance it is the first DAC that I demo at home that is a real step up from Rega DAC.

But (there is always a but) every ti e i switch music in my DS Audio App Primare DAc30 makes two relay clicks, very anoing...

but if i play a full album nothing happens... Must be some signal that the NAS send into DAC30... :?

but listenig to it is a real pleasure, a 2500€ pleasure... :roll:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think i'm ready to give my first impressions of this wonderful combo!
I'm amazed how little surface noise you can ear through the speakers, it plays almost in silent, it generates a black background and all the information is displayed in front of it, a big airy sound stage, my records are all well taken care of, but some older ones that i've bought used always had some click and pops, played with the 1012gx, but close to none are felted with the Elite MC, it seems that i've clean all of them again.
Every record i play i'm left with a BIG smile on my face, you all know this expression when we got a new toy: "for the money this is as good as it gets"
Well my friends it can get even better, and not spending that much.
I've reach a all new level in this hobby, i know i've a lot ahead of me, when my Rega dealer was fitting the Elite cart my wife and I were hearing the new RP10/DYNA DRTXV1S with the Aria/Elicit R/RS5 with those Blue Note new editions LPs and oh boy, we could be seated on that sofa all day long .
music.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
sonic21 said:
nice system u have...get the primare dac, looks awesome!

I would if I had the funds... And yes Primare DAC looks fantastic, but most important sound very nice as well, it is the DAC that i like the most until know that i've demo!

But it has a little downer, has a click every time you change music in the server or in the CD player, it's duo is internal relay.

But i'm still on the hunt for a new DAC, next on the list will be the Burmester DAC 113.

Must admit Primare make some lovely looking stuff, but I've not been totally smitten with their overall sound. IMHO, it is style over substance.

The Rega RP6 looks great in black, possibly the only colour I would consider out of the current Rega range. Can't be doing with migraine-inducing colours.

FWIW, I'm not sure you will beat the Rega dac unless you spend silly money. Heard a few (owned the Cambridge), rDac, Rega, Naim... total waste of money unless you head for Naims streamers (around £5k). Even then I'm not sure they hit the mark on a VFM mark.

Might be worth looking Linn streamers, or perhaps Chord Dac.

These are just my personal opinions.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I did looked at CHORD DAC but you need to install drivers in the PC to be able to stream something into it through USB input, and my only source is Synology NAS and I can't install nothing in the NAS.

So, my future DAC need to be plug and play.

I've demo so far:

Linn Majik DSM ( Linn is not for me... Demoed to many stuff and didn't like any)

Naim DAC ( to close to Rega DAC to spend the extra money)

Naim UnitiQute ( loved it!!! But only if i was to start again and would bought as well the matching power amp.

Primare DAC ( a premium DAC for the money!)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Must admit Primare make some lovely looking stuff, but I've not been totally smitten with their overall sound. IMHO, it is style over substance.

The Rega RP6 looks great in black, possibly the only colour I would consider out of the current Rega range. Can't be doing with migraine-inducing colours.

FWIW, I'm not sure you will beat the Rega dac unless you spend silly money. Heard a few (owned the Cambridge), rDac, Rega, Naim... total waste of money unless you head for Naims streamers (around £5k). Even then I'm not sure they hit the mark on a VFM mark.

PP, i'm not going to buy nothing until Rega launch the "new" DAC, it will be in 2015, so no money spent until then.

Rega have some very nice sources, and the new DAC only need to have a remote and assync USB.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:

PP, i'm not going to buy nothing until Rega launch the "new" DAC, it will be in 2015, so no money spent until then.

Rega have some very nice sources, and the new DAC only need to have a remote and assync USB.

You probably don't wanna hear this but...

In my personal opinion, you could do a lot better by changing your speakers. No doubt they are cracking for the price and you seem, like me with my RS6s, reluctant to change.

With your amp, I'd be looking at something like Tannoy Definition DC8, or if you want to stick with Dyns then Contours S1.4 blew me away on the end of a Naim XS. If I could navigate around my room topography, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts