The Outlaw System Update!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the dyns, and I have my system well tuned up, the In-akustik cables did just that!

Last week I had two guys from a hi-fi store in my house with the Chord DAC and a set of KEF LS50 ( some other day story) and they were delightful with my system, specialy with the sound of my Dyns in my living room, and with no acoustic treatment.

I felt honored, the compliment come from two people that work with several brands and heard almost everything.

Although the Chord demo was useful, we spent two hours listening to vinyl and some digital content, changing kefs and dyns after two/three songs.

And yes, the only upgrade i'll be doing of the X12 will be some Contour S1.4 or...

Confidence range...( in my dreams...)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Last week I had two guys from a hi-fi store in my house with the Chord DAC and a set of KEF LS50 ( some other day story) and they were delightful with my system, specialy with the sound of my Dyns in my living room, and with no acoustic treatment.

I felt honored, the compliment come from two people that work with several brands and heard almost everything.

Although the Chord demo was useful, we spent two hours listening to vinyl and some digital content, changing kefs and dyns after two/three songs.

And yes, the only upgrade i'll be doing of the X12 will be some Contour S1.4 or...

Confidence range...( in my dreams...)

Now that is a story I would like to hear in more detail.

Was it the Hugo Dac, and if it was, were you impressed with it?

How close did the LS50s get to your Dyns?.....they should have sounded wonderfully involving in your system

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
IMO Cno, the LS50 did almost everything better that the Dyns, not so good in the bass deparment, they seem to unvail that extra laier of detail, but in the end not more revealing ( if that make sense...) they sounded clear in the treble, and agile in the bass response. I had to ear what the fuss was all about...

The Kefs are a very nice set of speakers, maybe too little to my living room.

The Pathos is a wonderful amp, grabed the LS50 by the b..s but in the end were a nice session, and i did put my system to the test, and passed with flying colors.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Costom made acrilic "U" shape thing. It looks nice and was only 10€...

b5f466f47a34b19ecc540eaed6f65b0d_zps1f5d7f97.jpg

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
After a demo at the shop but connected to a system that I knew nothing about, a pre/Power combo from Clone and with Guru QM10 Two and a Atoll CD player connected to the Hugo through a coax cable.

I didn't got to well with the Guru speakers and asked if he could change them, and he went back with a set of speakers that I never heard of, Davis Nikita 2.

But nothing like a home demo, so...

Look who's here...!!!

This is a brand new unit so will give a 2days burn in period.

b77f817e9564868e41012b0be0470b20_zps3269e6b7.jpg

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice toys, I like expecially your Pathos.Can´t imagine how it sounds with your Dyns.

What do you think about the Hugo?How does it sound in comparison to your rega in your system?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Esra,

my Pathos and Dyns sound amazing, many people say to me that it is two brands that they never would mix together, but I dont get too well with stereotypes... So, the more I listen to other system the more I like mine...

I've got a smooth and silky midrange, very fast and tight bass, and never edgy but with lot of detail. With so e recording i can almost see texture in the soundstadge.

the Hugo didn't add much to what I already have, I don't want to be a spoiler about this DAC, but Rega DAC USB input is a work of art made by Rega, it is a completely different circutery from the optical and coax that don't get close to the USB input regarding sound quality, the only downside is being limited to 16/48.

i really hope that in the new DAC Rega will add a async USB input...

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Very nice,thank you for your sharing *good*

you are right,the rega dac is a nice one already,didn´t tried the Hugo myself till yet but i can´t imagine it is worth the money as a dac only(having heard also much pricier dacs than the Hugo),maybe as a pre/dac combo in the right system and if you take use of its portability.I think it looks ugly too but i will try it myself by time just to see what the fuss about it is.

I am also excited about the new rega dac although i don´t need one,weird.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hello, young man....good to see you are still about.

Any plots on the horizon?

thanks for the "young man bit" at 45 is nice to hear...!

Just on the hunt for a new DAC... I'll have to wait for the end of next year, just spend all the savings on a old house, i've done a completely refurbished, i rent it for turism in Lisbon.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This was filmed with my iphone 5, Dire Straits " Brothers In Arms" album, "Ride Across the River"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPFTY-e3G0o

Diana Krall "Live Paris" flac file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45cKHRU1kE

this video shoes my Synology DS Audio app working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuphV3PWsqQ

hope you like!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This winter got a new home, and was a little nervous about the new room acoustics, as my system was build and tuned to my old living room.

After the system being connected in the new living room my jaw dropped completely , as a matter of fact it was the biggest upgrade of all time! The new room is bigger and wider, the Dyns are a bit more apart from each other what gives a wider sound stage, and it is now easier to pin out the instruments in front of me.

Here it is a small video on yt, I”m really enjoying the new sound ..

It is becoming difficult to upgrade my X12, they transform themselves every time that some thing is changed in the system, they fill the room with music!

Maybe next year will try out to upgrade my for the new Contour 20 or Boenicke Audio W5. Lets see where the road takes me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZYRfvq5HC4&feature=youtu.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts