The new HMV downloads store. More competition, still no full-rez quality...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I agree that a little research/knowledge about hardware and software is needed to get unmolested sound out of a PC, but I can assure you it is worth bothering about if you can feed bit perfect audio to an external DAC whether it is 16 or 24 bit.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I can already do that with 16-bit audio though, there'll be something that handles the full fat stuff soon enough, I'm not in that much of a hurry, I haven't really found anything I desperately want to listen to in 24-bit rez yet anyway.

manicm

I somewhat agree with Andrew. It's up to the consumer to clamour for at least CD quality files i.e. FLAC, ALAC etc.

Having said that I downloaded Interpol's free track off their new album, and bought Goldfrapp's new single Rocket - both 320k MP3 - and they sound superb.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
It's not that 320kbps is bad. It's not. It's just lossless 16/44 or 24/96 is better and all the technology is there now for it to become mainstream (it is perfectly possible to buy and download a 24/96 track in several minutes and play it on a 200 quid player e.g. Squeezebox Touch - or existing computer - and store thousands of the tracks on a 50 quid hard drive, managing them all on a free software e.g. iTunes on a computer that most people have).

But something is still missing for it to go mainstream or the status quo is still comfortable for the big players - they do not feel pressure to change.

Shall we start a campaign for hi-rez downloads?
emotion-2.gif

DrizztDan

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Its true, low rez cheap mp3 is where the $$$ is at.

My girlfriend doesnt care about hi fidelity sound. All she wants is the cheapest fast way to get a song that isnt illegal. Usually thats itunes.

as this HMV store is good but they are lacking some serious music.

for example type in Jurassic Park Soundtrack. and you get linkin park

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:We'll need support of WHF. WHF is the mainstream hi-fi mag, and that is exacly what is missing for hi-rez - moving mainstream.

Absolutely - Sign me up too, although I think that we should change it to a campaign for CD quality and high res streaming, given that all retailers will have access to the CD quality version of pretty much everything already...

manicm

DrizztDan:

Its true, low rez cheap mp3 is where the $$$ is at.

My girlfriend doesnt care about hi fidelity sound. All she wants is the cheapest fast way to get a song that isnt illegal. Usually thats itunes.

as this HMV store is good but they are lacking some serious music.

for example type in Jurassic Park Soundtrack. and you get linkin park

Try 7-Digital - they have off-mainstream stuff as well. Excellent site for MP3s.

On the topic of file quality - again 320k MP3s may be perfect quality for people like your girlfriend. So if they're enjoying the music that way why would they bother with anything else?

You can't just be snobbish about this, I mean I rip my music uncompressed for hifi listening, but even I have to admit some (320k)MP3s I've downloaded sound simply superb. Someone's doing ripping right.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against compressed music as susch (I use it every day!).

I am all for mp3 and all compressed formats etc, but not instead of hi-rez - in additon to hi-rez! And hi-rez not instead of mp3 but in addition to it, too.

This thread is not anti lo-res, it is pro hi-rez
emotion-2.gif

And I take it the above post is not anti hi-rez either!
emotion-2.gif

manicm

Yes of-course but I'm still pessimistic about it.

Yes your classical music can be in full-res/hi-res now - DG eg. have full-res FLAC downloads, and Classicsonline as well.

But pop, and even rock music? I mean, and no offence to anyone here, is your Lady Gaga listener really interested in lossless?

Labels of popular bands like Pink Floyd still don't make full-res downloads available. Maybe someday in iTunes. Even Beatles - well you have to buy the entire catalogue to get it.

Hi-res radio streaming will not happen in the near future, I don't think. Bandwidth is still a problem, and really, who cares? If you like a certain album you're still gonna buy it.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's hoping that record companies/labels themselves start jumping on the the lossless and hi-rez bandwagon.

While not a major label, I noticed Rephlex (you'll probably know it if your are into Aphex Twin and that kind of electronic music) has started offering downloads as
  • 320 kbps Constant Bit-Rate MP3
  • 44.1 Khz WAV
  • 48 Khz pre-mastered WAV's (for some releases)
http://www.rephlex.com/help

I'd like to see much more of this, even if it is just starting with small labels (and higher rez would be even better)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Some very interesting new stuff on B&W's Society of Sound just recently...

For the amount of music you get access to I think it is great value as well. I've been downloading and enjoying to a number of things that I would never have thought to purchase as a CD. A great example of the long tail bringing benefits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts