The new AVI ADM5 active loudspeakers.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

altruistic.lemon said:
Yup, I agree, Ajani, it's the transparent nature of some posts that can be annoying.

Have you any idea how annoying your posts are, and you do realise by constantly posting telling everyone to cool it you're bumping the thread and giving AVI the free publicity they're after, don't you?

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
I just wonder how the small box, with a small driver and 50watts does with such programmes at higher levels or to be more precise, how does the speaker cope with quiet to loud passages at reasonable volume. I wouldn't expect PA sound from something so small, that would be unrealistic.

Do you think the ADM5 could be used as main system and if so, in what sized rooms?

regards

Thanks for a sensible question amongst all this pointless unpleasantness, DM.

My front room is about 4m wide by 8m long and I think they'd do fine in there.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Yup, I agree, Ajani, it's the transparent nature of some posts that can be annoying.

Have you any idea how annoying your posts are, and you do realise by constantly posting telling everyone to cool it you're bumping the thread and giving AVI the free publicity they're after, don't you?

And which silly billy just bumped the thread again? :shame:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Why don't you ask on the AVI forum rather than here? There's been enough shilling here for the year, don't you agree, and enough argument.

Let it go, no point in deliberately fanning the flames.

Because the review was posted here so it seems appropiate to ask here.

Who is fanning the flames?

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me what this HiFi term " shilling" means ? The only shilling I know used to be a unit of currency in this country , obviously I haven't been keeping up with the latest hip and happening words .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
... obviously I haven't been keeping up with the latest hip and happening words .

It's been in use since 1916* according to the OED...
"A decoy or accomplice, esp. one posing as an enthusiastic or successful customer to encourage other buyers, gamblers, etc."

*The earliest published use of the word so far. That's not to say it wasn't in use long before someone published it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Also 'Shillaber' (first published in 1913) ...
Pronunciation: shill n.1913 Collier's 6 Dec. 29/2 The business men turned out to be ‘shillabers’, if you know what ‘shillabers’ are.1924 G. Bronson-Howard Devil's Chaplain vii. 111 One time ‘ballyhoo’ and ‘shillaber’, proprietor of ‘Chief Big~spoon's..’ medicine show.1940 Amer. Speech 15 122/1 Shill or shillaber, an accomplice who plays a confidence game so that the mark sees him win.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Not as transparent as the sound from AVI's speakers. I actually thought the point of the thread was to discuss the speakers themselves.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've heard both. The DM5s are clearer and have a better stereo image, as you'd expect from a smaller cone. The ADM9s have more headroom and bass and sound bigger. Better suited to orchestral music.

I didn't think power output on the DM5s was an issue for anything otehr than large-scale orchestral music. Look around the technical journals and you'll see that using any passive crossover loses 3dB or more, so a 50w active can be equivalent to 100w passive.

It's a shame these things aren't specced properly but then who does nowadays? Since the Linn/Naim post-fact marketing in the 80s, reliable engineering reviews have all but disappeared.

I don't own either speakers, btw.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've heard lots Dynaudio models.. Xeo range is ok.. however xeo 2 exaggerated bass and recessed midrange are not really in the spirit of closest approach to original sound but still it's a better offerning than any passive speaker at this price point Kef Ls 50 including. I was contemplating xeo 2 as a tv speakers ( shallow cabinets allows hang them on the wall on dedicatd brackets so looks ok)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
I've heard lots Dynaudio models.. Xeo range is ok.. however xeo 2 exaggerated bass and recessed midrange are not really in the spirit of closest approach to original sound but still it's a better offerning than any passive speaker at this price point Kef Ls 50 including. I was contemplating xeo 2 as a tv speakers ( shallow cabinets allows hang them on the wall on dedicatd brackets so looks ok)

Have you heard xeo 4?

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I think the most common reason for thread revival is Google. It's the only way to search the forum and many people forget to check the date. Another example was the one about how unreliable Cambridge Audio kit is.

Would be good if the background colour of threads got progressively yellower and browner as they aged. Or simply a warning in the reply area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts