The new AVI ADM5 active loudspeakers.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Andy-F73 said:
I am an owner of a pair of ADM 9.1T's with the corresponding sub and I am both happy with the product and happy in which the way AVI conduct it's business.

It's fair to say that this company divides opinion and that's dissapointing, I bet if everyone met for a beer things could be quite different.

For me the ADM approach is one that should be applauded for it's technical excellence.

Then we better start lining up a few others for a good hand clap as well then Andy...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
char_lotte said:
. I've sold the pair of Adm's I had as I despise the way this company do "business".

If I did that for every company that I thought conducted its business in an unethical way I'd be sat in a field with no clothes on.

Although I do excercise that choice with a few brands...such as Apple and to a lesser extent, Amazon.

I try to buy products that haven't been tested on animals or have come through sweatshops and near-slave labour.

But you have chosen to avoid a company because of a couple of loudmouths. Well done. You lose the internet.

John Duncan

Andy-F73 said:
For me the ADM approach is one that should be applauded for it's technical excellence.

I agree. What I do not agree with is the suggestion from the manufacturer that they are the last remaining bastion of such excellence, or that this - and I say this having listened to the 9.1something (I lose track) as well as many, many other systems - translates into undeniable audio superiority, and that anyone who disagrees with this view is deaf, stupid or an industry stooge.

Andy-F73

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Andy-F73 said:

I agree. What I do not agree with is the suggestion from the manufacturer that they are the last remaining bastion of such excellence, or that this - and I say this having listened to the 9.1something (I lose track) as well as many, many other systems - translates into undeniable audio superiority, and that anyone who disagrees with this view is deaf, stupid or an industry stooge.

Perhaps a truce is in order: let's all respect each others opinion and just enjoy what we each have.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
char_lotte said:
I've sold the pair of Adm's I had as I despise the way this company do "business".

Probably best do that now since second hand values are going to plummet, what with the 5s being better than anything else in the range apart from the RSSs. Or actually better than them. Or not better than them. And when you switch from the ADM40s you don't notice the difference. Until you go back to the ADM40s, which are of course better. So in other words they're as good as the third-string model in the range, but are still 1,000 times better than all others in the world. And they don't need bass because there is no bass in real music (except when there is, in which case there's a sub for that - just not these ones).

I really shouldn't but that did make me laugh
smiley-smile.gif

regards

John Duncan

Andy-F73 said:
John Duncan said:
Andy-F73 said:

Perhaps a truce is in order: let's all respect each others opinion and just enjoy what we each have.

I do. It seems to be others who do not enjoy what I have, for some strange reason.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
char_lotte said:
. I've sold the pair of Adm's I had as I despise the way this company do "business".

If I did that for every company that I thought conducted its business in an unethical way I'd be sat in a field with no clothes on.

Although I do excercise that choice with a few brands...such as Apple and to a lesser extent, Amazon.

I try to buy products that haven't been tested on animals or have come through sweatshops and near-slave labour.

But you have chosen to avoid a company because of a couple of loudmouths. Well done. You lose the internet.

Ouch.

Andy-F73

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Andy-F73 said:
John Duncan said:
Andy-F73 said:

I do. It seems to be others who do not enjoy what I have, for some strange reason.

Before I had the ADM's my favourite system I had was an Arcam Alpha 9, Marantz CD6000ose and a pair of Epos ES 11's. it was around 10 years ago but provided much enjoyment and pleasure ... 10 years on and sseveral box swaps later I have what I have now and I'm very pleased with it!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
Started at the request of Richard42 to keep discussion of this new product seperate from the 'Active speakers club' thread.

(Shakes head )

Shake away PP. I happened to agree that the 'active speaker club' has been a pretty civilised and bi-partisan thread so far and thought it a good idea to divert the inevitable ### storm ( that a new AVI product would cause) to a separate place.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
These ADM5's could end up as a speaker with a small identity crisis but thats merely a speculation.

There is clearly very vocal interest over at HDD but already there are folks which wonder how exactly they will use them and equally important, what with.

I hope thats not going to an issue and clear guidance from the manufacturers would probably be good even though it will inevitably lead to a fruit.

regards

John Duncan

drummerman said:
These ADM5's could end up as a speaker with a small identity crisis but thats merely a speculation.

There is clearly very vocal interest over at HDD but already there are folks which wonder how exactly they will use them and equally important, what with.

I hope thats not going to an issue and clear guidance from the manufacturers would probably be good even though it will inevitably lead to a fruit.

regards

Just not an apple TV since it doesn't have an audio output. And an Airport Express has a terrible audio output (as anybody who's ever plugged a pair of headphones into them will know) and needs a DAC to get the best of it. But it's OK, TVs (which are now the centre of all entertainment) have a headphone output that is as good as any hifi. Except when they don't have a headphone output, in which case you're stuffed.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
Started at the request of Richard42 to keep discussion of this new product seperate from the 'Active speakers club' thread.

(Shakes head )

Shake away PP. I happened to agree that the 'active speaker club' has been a pretty civilised and bi-partisan thread so far and thought it a good idea to divert the inevitable ### storm ( that a new AVI product would cause) to a separate place.

You're misconstruding why I'm a little puzzled.

Why would a respected member of the forum (ADM40 owner) "request" another to start a thread on the new AVIs? Just seems a little bonkers IMO.

In that case, when Leema release a new product could you do me the honours?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest, these new AVIs are going to be difficult to move.

They're a big step back in functionality over the others in the range., no DAC, no slave system, no optical inputs etc.

They only have XLR input. This means if you want more than one input, you'll need a preamp. Box count increases by 1.

They do not offer the speaker trimming options of their competition. Even the basic Yamaha HS5 offers this.

above all, there is a lot of competition at this end of the market from many well-known brands.

Add to this the AVI policy of preferring to sell unheard, and I think there is a problem.

If they had airplay, all might be well, or a better spec, again all might be well, but my guess is there will be a lot of marketing difficulties. Quite why AVI chose to take a step back I'm not sure. Frankly, if you want to go that path, you're better off going with the 9s, which have good specs - and decent Scanspeak drivers.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
PP. Youve completely misunderstood.

It was to clear the crap from the active speakers thread. Chebby could just as easily called this the BS thread.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest, these new AVIs are going to be difficult to move.

They're a big step back in functionality over the others in the range., no DAC, no slave system, no optical inputs etc.

They only have XLR input. This means if you want more than one input, you'll need a preamp. Box count increases by 1.

They do not offer the speaker trimming options of their competition. Even the basic Yamaha HS5 offers this.

above all, there is a lot of competition at this end of the market from many well-known brands.

Add to this the AVI policy of preferring to sell unheard, and I think there is a problem.

If they had airplay, all might be well, or a better spec, again all might be well, but my guess is there will be a lot of marketing difficulties. Quite why AVI chose to take a step back I'm not sure. Frankly, if you want to go that path, you're better off going with the 9s, which have good specs - and decent Scanspeak drivers.

richardw42 said:
PP. Youve completely misunderstood.

It was to clear the crap from the active speakers thread. Chebby could just as easily called this the BS thread.

Yeah, but why Chebby? Could you not of started this thread yourself? Let's face it there's an awful lot of rubbish and prejudice, bickering, claims and counter-claims on most threads.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
AVI prefer to sell direct, not unheard. There is a difference and they're always happy to welcome anyone who wants to listen. Or point you to the 2 or 3 dealers who stock their products.

It looks like the ADM5 will have two versions - XLR or phono, for two separate markets.

I can't comment on the headphone output of the AEX but the current one sounds good plugged direct into the line input of my amplifier. Is the line output intended for headphones?

T

the record spot

Andy-F73 said:

You might be new Andy, but we've been over this all before. Tried a truce earlier this year I think, or maybe end of last year. Didn't stop Maxflinn - who had agreed as one of the participants - from signing up under one of his many bogus identities and messing around again. Didn't stop the sniping or the superiority attitude, didn't stop it bar for a few weeks, but one look under the HDD Audio bonnet and you can see the true nature of some of the people involved as that's where the real face comes out.

ADM-pick-your-number are not the last word in high quality audio. They're good, maybe even great, but not class leading. To be told that they are the best and outstrip anything else on the market or be told (as in my case by Maxflinn) that my speakers couldn't possibly do deeper bass notes when he hasn't heard them just amplifies the point. A bunch of noisy irritants many of whom have little or no experience outwith what they read via Google or get from the AJ and I have zero patience with it anymore.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts