The Mezzos are gone..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks, I finally sold off my Mezzo 6's used in my cambridge audio 740c + a combi. I just could never quite warm up to the sound, like something was always missing and the sound was dull and the bass ill defined. I used to have an old set of Acoustic Energy AE-109 speakers which was wonderful, but sold it to buy the mezzo's.

So where do i go from here, well i definitely need floorstanders for fear of my 1 year pushing the standmounter and having it fall on her. a few interesting 2nd hand speakers have popped up :

1. PMC GB1

2. AVI Duo

3. B&W 685s

4. Monitor Audio Rx6

5. Dynaudio Focus 220 Mk1

As these are used, they cant be auditioned with my kit and i have to buy them pretty much blindly. I listen to quite alot of jazz, rap, rock and the occasional electronica and my room is about 12 square meters in size. as mentioned earlier, i loved the mids and highs of my AE-109s but finding them where i live is a rare thing now, due to their age they often pop up damaged or faulty. ive combed through the forum but there arent alot of comments about the 740 combi with the speakers above, so kinda lost here.

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The floorstanding requirement rules the B&Ws out, and of the ones mentioned I'd probably go for the GB1s if you want something good-sounding, stable and not too room-dominating.

Assuming you're not looking at paying full whack for the speakers, what's your budget?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply, Andrew. Sorry it was a typo error on the B&W, it is the 684s. My budget is between 600 to 700 pounds for the speakers.

A

Anonymous

So the GB1s were sold off before i could get my hands on it, likewise for the 684s and from reading comments online, the focus 220 might be too much for my 740a in terms of power required to drive the speakers.

it is down to the rx6 and the avi duos now. I have heard the rx6s in the past and they sounded pretty good but i am really concerned that my cdp & amp combination would just make everything way too bright. would this be true?

how about the avi duos? ive heard good things about these as well but again really concerned about matching them to my cdp-amp combo.

I also came across a used creek destiny amplifier, which i was toying with the idea of maybe swapping with my 740a.

thanks folks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts