The last purchase for your hifi ever?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

I must admit I know nothing of the different classes. 😁
When it comes to energy efficiency, just think in terms of light bulbs Dom.
The old filament light bulbs used a lot of mains power and most of that was wasted as heat.
LED lightbulbs use much less power, because they don' t waste much as heat.
Think of Class A amps as filament bulbs and class D amps as LED.

(However, plenty of people prefer the light output from filaments - and plenty of people prefer the sound output of class A amps).

Your amp is probably class A/B?
So its energy efficiency will be somewhere between class A and D.

Dom

When it comes to energy efficiency, just think in terms of light bulbs Dom.
The old filament light bulbs used a lot of mains power and most of that was wasted as heat.
LED lightbulbs use much less power, because they don' t waste much as heat.
Think of Class A amps as filament bulbs and class D amps as LED.

(However, plenty of people prefer the light output from filaments - and plenty of people prefer the sound output of class A amps).

Your amp is probably class A/B?
So its energy efficiency will be somewhere between class A and D.
Thanks Grey.
I suspect its the quality of workmanship and the developing of new technology, so class D is the way forward?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks Grey you come across as very bright yourself.
There is a great description of how class A work and difference of class AB. YouTube review of my amp Sugden A21 Signature by The British Audiophile, about 6 mins in.

Reactions: Dom
D

Deleted member 160668

Just listening to Radio 3 atm. I read the description, only 23 watts.
Don't let that fool you. It wiped the floor with my last amp an Arcam A39 rated at 120w. It sounds huge. That'll be the class A awesomeness. Obvs the trade-off is I can't explode my eardrums with volume. But it goes plenty loud enough.

And as you well know, what it may lack in efficiency, it more than makes up for with zero crossover distortion…..and glorious sound! 👍
Oh yes! Like angels in my ears. So musical - play a tune, grin wildly, then hours have gone by. No thinking about kit. But enjoying music.

Anyway back on track. That's why it's most definitely a keeper and going nowhere.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
They come in a crate for God sakes. lolol

Attachments

• 20211022_181623.jpg
    20211022_181623.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211022_181629.jpg
    20211022_181629.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211022_181738.jpg
    20211022_181738.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 15

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
The Dynaudio Heritage Special and the Hyperion HPS-938 speakers. The Audia Flight Three S integrated amplifier propably but i only got it a few weeks now, only time will tell that if that "love story" will go on. Like to compare it to a Gryphon Diablo 120 integrated one day.

D

Deleted member 160668

The Dynaudio Heritage Special and the Hyperion HPS-938 speakers. The Audia Flight Three S integrated amplifier propably but i only got it a few weeks now, only time will tell that if that "love story" will go on. Like to compare it to a Gryphon Diablo 120 integrated one day.
Have you already got these? Or you want them?
There's a set on eBay and I can't stop looking at them. Do they work well near walls?

Dom

Why buy more expensive speakers, amp's, DAC's, streamers and PC's.

The marketeers will try to convince us that there is better if you spend the money.

If it sounds good to your ears then your at the end game. (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts