The joys of getting old - not!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear this Al

Nothin too hasty eh !

I myself have been at pains the last 6-8 months with Tinnitus - I have got used to it but I'm trying to find the cause - I have worked in a noisy work place for 18 years but have always worn ear protection.

my music had seemed to lose an edge to it - but I still enjoy my lps after I purchased an RP8, it's more lively than the Gyro so at the minute I'm pondering over selling 1 of my decks but I'm waiting to see if I can find the cause and if it can be out right.

All the best to you Al

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Al ears said:
Off to see audiologist on Monday. Also speaking to Tom Evans about possibility of incorporating some sort of balance control.

Where?!!!

Where what?

Audiologist or balance control?

Sorry just for a moment, earlier, I mis-read and thought the balance control was going to be installed by the audiologist!

The idea appealed to me. Just after that I was imagining Tom Evans building some valve based hearing-device.

It was early. (That's my excuse.)

chebby said:
Al ears said:
chebby said:
Al ears said:
Off to see audiologist on Monday. Also speaking to Tom Evans about possibility of incorporating some sort of balance control.

Where?!!!

Where what?

Audiologist or balance control?

Sorry just for a moment, earlier, I mis-read and thought the balance control was going to be installed by the audiologist!

The idea appealed to me. Just after that I was imagining Tom Evans building some valve based hearing-device.

It was early. (That's my excuse.)

:)

Having an audiologist doing the stereo set-up might not be a crazy idea.

The valve based hearing device already exists.... it's called an amplifier. ;-)

Strange you associate Tom Evans with valves because most of his kit doesn't involve them, only the power amps.

Sorry to read this, Al, and I echo others thoughts about doing nothing hasty. After all, good hifi is there to reproduce the original sound, and diminished hearing needn't spoil concerts so should not spoil home listening either.

The brain is really what we hear with, and if you've ever experienced the 'before and after' of having bunged up ears syringed, it's amazing how we can cope. Hope it goes as well as possible on Monday.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Frustrating Al ears, I have lived with ear problems all my hifi life. I still enjoy my music despite my hearing becoming progresivly unballanced, perhaps the brain compensates as it does with other areas of our sences? My advantage is that the ears get syringed every 6 months and off we go again.

What about a mono button, I listen to a lot of old recording on Spotify that are in mono, after a while one forgets its mono and enjoys the 'musicality' of these old 'wysiwyg' type presentations. Detail, presence, feeling and timbrer often feel superior to modern stereo trickery? Yes and all the recording equipment was valves too . . .

One first experianced the joys of mono many years ago, circa the early 80's. A hifi shop owning friend had as a personal home system, a Mission system, the classic rose wood finish, bees knees at the time. He sat me down one day, put a cup of tea in my hand and poped on an old jazz mono disk, it made an impresion on me that I still relish in my memory to this day.

What about a single 'large speaker' (I think Tanoy did a very good one?) corner mounted, quality mono amp, TT and cartrige. I seem to remember some good coments about such systems in their day? Did'nt they call it a 'wall of sound'? Rather like being in an old dance hall where the music from the orchestra simply filled the room.

All the best, CJSF

CJSF said:
Frustrating Al ears, I have lived with ear problems all my hifi life. I still enjoy my music despite my hearing becoming progresivly unballanced, perhaps the brain compensates as it does with other areas of our sences? My advantage is that the ears get syringed every 6 months and off we go again.

What about a mono button, I listen to a lot of old recording on Spotify that are in mono, after a while one forgets its mono and enjoys the 'musicality' of these old 'wysiwyg' type presentations. Detail, presence, feeling and timbrer often feel superior to modern stereo trickery? Yes and all the recording equipment was valves too . . .

One first experianced the joys of mono many years ago, circa the early 80's. A hifi shop owning friend had as a personal home system, a Mission system, the classic rose wood finish, bees knees at the time. He sat me down one day, put a cup of tea in my hand and poped on an old jazz mono disk, it made an impresion on me that I still relish in my memory to this day.

What about a single 'large speaker' (I think Tanoy did a very good one?) corner mounted, quality mono amp, TT and cartrige. I seem to remember some good coments about such systems in their day? Did'nt they call it a 'wall of sound'? Rather like being in an old dance hall where the music from the orchestra simply filled the room.

All the best, CJSF

Many thanks for that CJ.

Whilst I can understand the appreciation of mono recordings, and have a few myself, the majority of my collection is in stereo.

To be honest it only really hit me when listening to headphones which I normally only do whilst on the move or away at work. Headphones are a must in work accommodation so as to not upset others, some walls appearing to be paper thin.

I am sure I will adapt to the sound on my home set-up eventually but it was the initial shock that initiated my first post.

I am considering downsizing / down pricing however as current lack of work means I am rapidly running out of funds.

My current thoughs are to sell all my Tom Evans Audio amplification, which currently retails at well over ten grand, and buying a all-in-one along the lines of a Parasound Halo Integrated similar to what I did some time ago with my Stello DAC and Transport when I replaced it with an Oppo 105 Swiss Army knife. ;-)

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Al ears said:
Looks like I may have to sell all my kit as it turns out I am going progressively deaf in my right ear.

Could just listen to mono LP s I guess.... :)

Exact same , I find this incredulous as I don't even listen to music loudly nor movies on /via my headphones ?

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
As previously mentioned ,

For an audiophile this must be the worst news. Hopefully the prognosis will be better than first feared.

I also value your analogue opinions & vast experience.

Best of luck.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

For an audiophile this must be the worst news. Hopefully the prognosis will be better than first feared.

Best of luck.

NMANo1 said:

Best of luck.

Many thanks, hearing shot or not I will endeavour to lead the unwary in the right direction.

;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts