The joys of getting old - not!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Oh well. This is a very good example of many hearing differently when we listen to hifi, & choices we make. I would go as far as saying 90% of people never get their hearing tested, yet believe what they hear with their ears. I get my hearing tested every year, not by choice but nature of my job as a train driver. I think many should have hearing tested at least every 3yrs.

Hearing ability is always left out when talking about sound quality of hifi, cause everyone assumes their hearing is perfect.

chrisr1718 said:
Al ears said:
chrisr1718 said:
Turn the right channel up a bit louder...

No balance control on my kit, could flog the Tom Evans kit and buy something that has one possibly

Then how about a Rothwell Attenuator on the left channel... they do 3 different values; -10db, -15db or -20db

That might work but I would have to wait until everyone else is out or I'd deafen them. ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to read this Al.

Is hearing aid technology up to the task of compensating? A quick search found someone on the Naim forum a few years ago who got one and was (after a couple of months of his hearing adjusting to it) so pleased that he started looking forward to buying new music again.

chebby said:
Sorry to read this Al.

Is hearing aid technology up to the task of compensating? A quick search found someone on the Naim forum a few years ago who got one and was (after a couple of months of his hearing adjusting to it) so pleased that he started looking forward to buying new music again.

My thanks for that chebby, I guess I could wait and see but I thought long and hard about it last night and, when you have this condition and you have been without work as long as I have, you realise that sitting around with approximately ten grand (RRP) of amplification that's never going to sound like it used to, there is only one conclusion.

I may just get a cheaper integrated with a balance control and keep my cheaper speaker set, who knows.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Go easy with head phones, they can be the cause of hearing issues according to the elfandsafety police and I believe one head phone manufacturer says only use for around 20 minutes at low volumes then have a break, also playing loud music in the living room, I should know being a guitarist in a RnR band, A few years ago I noticed my hearing had started to lose its top register after years of gigs, so down to the doctor who reommended I wear 50% ear plugs when playing, my hearing has now remained stable, but it is a fact of life that just like eye sight things begin to deteriorate as you get older and no, Carrots don't work.

Pete

Chris Munden said:
Go easy with head phones, they can be the cause of hearing issues according to the elfandsafety police and I believe one head phone manufacturer says only use for around 20 minutes at low volumes then have a break, also playing loud music in the living room, I should know being a guitarist in a RnR band, A few years ago I noticed my hearing had started to lose its top register after years of gigs, so down to the doctor who reommended I wear 50% ear plugs when playing, my hearing has now remained stable, but it is a fact of life that just like eye sight things begin to deteriorate as you get older and no, Carrots don't work.

Pete

Appreciate that, and yes I do eat carrots, but aren't they for eyesight? I have always looked after my hearing and use hearing protection when artwork and travelliing to it however, it appears to be a family trait as my father had same problem and my brother also and he's eight years younger than me. Always the right ear, strange that!

I don't listen to headphones a lot and never at high volume it was just that I really noticed it whilst doing so.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Looks like I may have to sell all my kit as it turns out I am going progressively deaf in my right ear.

Oh gawd, really sorry to hear that, Al. Almost the worst thing that could happen to a music lover. Hope it can be stopped from progressing any further.

thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:
Looks like I may have to sell all my kit as it turns out I am going progressively deaf in my right ear.

Oh gawd, really sorry to hear that, Al. Almost the worst thing that could happen to a music lover. Hope it can be stopped from progressing any further.

I really appreciate your sympathy. Will not know for sure until I've had an appointment with the audiologist but I am not holding on to straws. I can only say I have enjoyed what I have had for as long as I have and still hope that I can educate others through this forum.

Even if I turn out to be a 'one-eared deaf old b'stard' experience will out.... ;-)

Al ears said:
thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:

I really appreciate your sympathy. Will not know for sure until I've had an appointment with the audiologist but I am not holding on to straws. I can only say I have enjoyed what I have had for as long as I have and still hope that I can educate others through this forum.

Even if I turn out to be a 'one-eared deaf old b'stard' experience will out.... ;-)

If things do go badly then you will be the first to hear of a shedload of class kit appearing on eBay or Hifiwigwam.

D

Deleted member 108165

Truly sorry to hear this Al. You're still one of the main sages when it comes to the black stuff, turntables and carts and always will be in my book. Don't be too hasty in disposing of your gear, keep it as long as you can.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be too hasty to do anything. It's amazing how you'll get accustomed to it and still get good perception of depth and space. And there's no reason why you still can't enjoy the overall sound. It should always be about the music. The only thing which will really suffer is headphone use.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Al, sorry to hear your news. Have always valued your thoughts and advice. Like some of the other forum members have said, don't be too hasty getting rid of that lovely kit of yours...

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Off to see audiologist on Monday. Also speaking to Tom Evans about possibility of incorporating some sort of balance control. If it doesn't pan out then maybe trading down to something like the Parasound Halo Integrated which has everything in one box and that balance control knob.

Fear not, I will be on this forum for a while yet. :)

Again thanks for all replies. It was a bit perturbing learning what was happening but until I have some prognosis I will not react just yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts